BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

07-07-2014, 05:02 AM   #1
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

New turbo Ferrari, not as emotional

If Ferrari cant make a emotional or drama turbo engine. Then all hope for turbo engines starts to go out the window.

Watch 3:18 for a good laugh also.

The guy gives the car overall a good review. He talks about how the engine is messing some of what makes Ferrari engines so special. that high revving sound and drama. Kind of like the E90 and F80.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
GreeKon
It ain't gonna suck itself
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Yup....I can definitely see that. But almost ALL car companies will be trading in soul for fuel economy soon. It's just the direction the world is going in. Thank the Middle East oil companies for that. Lol
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
Darth Federer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 m3 SSII Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeKon View Post
Yup....I can definitely see that. But almost ALL car companies will be trading in soul for fuel economy soon. It's just the direction the world is going in. Thank the Middle East oil companies for that. Lol
I think you meant European environmentalists. I'm guessing Arab oil companies want your car sucking as much gas as possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

At least it doesn't have some sort of Active Sound. I dislike thinking about it and hearing it. It sounds like I'm sitting in an arcade racing simulator.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Federer View Post
I think you meant European environmentalists. I'm guessing Arab oil companies want your car sucking as much gas as possible.
Don't blame the europeans. Al Gore is in for it too.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Mercedes AMG is the only company that seems to have done it right with their turbo engines. Have you driven their new 5.5l Biturbo V8s? Sound and feel just as good, if not better, than the 6.2l N/A they displaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
GreeKon
It ain't gonna suck itself
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Economy takes shit. Arab oil goes up. People tighten budgets. Stop buying gas guzzlers. Car companies make more efficient cars.

Yup....MIDDLE EAST.

Last edited by GreeKon; 07-07-2014 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Economy takes shit. Arab oil goes up. People tighten budgets. Stop buying gas guzzlers. Car companies make more efficient cars.

Yup....MIDDLE EAST.
Here it is even worse,when talking about oil and gas !
It's the price of it on here ! Be glad to be in the US man, efficient cars or not, thinking about car prices,taxes and yearly driver taxes,think you don't want to know it !
And when comparing prices,the only thing i can say is....God bless America !
Amen.....

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

There isn't enough oil to last that long. BP estimates there is about 53 years of oil left in the world. Once we pump it all out of the ground, there is no more oil. So definitely need to save gas!

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/03/b...ears-oil-left/

But for supercars and exotics, it doesn't make sense as these aren't really daily driven cars anyway.
      07-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #10
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
There isn't enough oil to last that long. BP estimates there is about 53 years of oil left in the world. Once we pump it all out of the ground, there is no more oil. So definitely need to save gas!

But for supercars and exotics, it doesn't make sense as these aren't really daily driven cars anyway.
I don't believe the 53 years based on untapped sources of oil. Maybe not the most environmentally friendly, but when it comes to crunch time, we will get that oil. And I would be curious on how the estimate was generated, does it include that cars are getting more efficient year by year? Are sales going to change in the coming years (for example, are more people going to by a Tesla if the prices come down?) - how do yo estimate that?

Boo turbo Ferrari.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

Of course an oil company is going to say that
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #12
Z K
Major General
Rep

Oil is a limited resource. We're using it up at a rate that is unsustainable. So yes, it will run out. Whether that comes in 50 years or 100 years, it'll be gone. So if we want it to last longer, we need to save it.

Cars like Tesla run on electricity but ultimately that electricity comes from some where. In a lot of places it is burning oil, coal, other fossil fuel or nuclear power. So it isn't free and still a limited resource.
      07-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #13
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

Quote:
The middle east oil companies? Last I checked if the government imposes restrictions on the sale of a good, you don’t fault the store for not being able to sell it.

Quote:
Not necessarily. There is so much “cheap” oil that comes out of the middle east that reducing demand would concurrently reduce supply and likely increase oil prices. That is what you have seen happening for the last 5-10 years in this country. The Oil companies make more money as they have better margins with less production efforts.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oil is a limited resource. We're using it up at a rate that is unsustainable. So yes, it will run out. Whether that comes in 50 years or 100 years, it'll be gone. So if we want it to last longer, we need to save it.

Cars like Tesla run on electricity but ultimately that electricity comes from some where. In a lot of places it is burning oil, coal, other fossil fuel or nuclear power. So it isn't free and still a limited resource.
i am honestly shocked that even have 50 years of oil. Its mind shocking how much we have used over the years.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #15
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i am honestly shocked that even have 50 years of oil. Its mind shocking how much we have used over the years.
They have been saying about 50 years of oil left for about 100 years now. Of course there is a limited source of oil, but that only means we’ll have to hunt around and pull it out from less economically viable locations. That is, once the giant pool of cheap (aka easy to extract) oil from the middle east runs out. There could be untapped areas with oil for generations to come, but by then we’ll have a better energy alternative in the works or in use.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ray View Post
They have been saying about 50 years of oil left for about 100 years now. Of course there is a limited source of oil, but that only means we’ll have to hunt around and pull it out from less economically viable locations. That is, once the giant pool of cheap (aka easy to extract) oil from the middle east runs out. There could be untapped areas with oil for generations to come, but by then we’ll have a better energy alternative in the works or in use.
makes sense. I have always hear we have a ton of untapped US homeland oil.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #17
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
I don't believe the 53 years based on untapped sources of oil. Maybe not the most environmentally friendly, but when it comes to crunch time, we will get that oil. And I would be curious on how the estimate was generated, does it include that cars are getting more efficient year by year? Are sales going to change in the coming years (for example, are more people going to by a Tesla if the prices come down?) - how do yo estimate that?

Boo turbo Ferrari.
You hush your mouth
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #18
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ray View Post
The Oil companies make more money as they have better margins with less production efforts.
I think you're a bit misguided here. The new reality is that there isn't a lot of cheap oil to be had. If there was, the US wouldn't even think of fracking. There is oil out there, but the cost of pulling it out of the ground is going to be continuously increasing.

Sorry to say, but I think the US may be in trouble in 5 - 10 years as cheap oil is a cornerstone of its economy.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #19
Darth Federer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Don't blame the europeans. Al Gore is in for it too.
Touche sir. Excellent point. I stand partially corrected. He invented the internet too.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #20
Darth Federer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Here it is even worse,when talking about oil and gas !
It's the price of it on here ! Be glad to be in the US man, efficient cars or not, thinking about car prices,taxes and yearly driver taxes,think you don't want to know it !
And when comparing prices,the only thing i can say is....God bless America !
Amen.....
Nicely put man. This highlights the pitfalls of group-think. The government is so massive and all encompassing in European social democracies that you rarely have a divergence of opinion on things like a gas tax. In the US, if one politician supported an increase in the gas tax then you can bet he/she would have a challenger in the next election saying they will not support that tax increase. In Europe, it seems all politicians support the feeding of the government behemoth. One caveat of course, the US and the automobile came of age at the same time and our city planning revolved around a car instead of public transportation. Europe's more cramped confines, good public transportation and narrow streets make the car an easy target.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #21
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Nicely put man. This highlights the pitfalls of group-think. The government is so massive and all encompassing in European social democracies that you rarely have a divergence of opinion on things like a gas tax. In the US, if one politician supported an increase in the gas tax then you can bet he/she would have a challenger in the next election saying they will not support that tax increase. In Europe, it seems all politicians support the feeding of the government behemoth. One caveat of course, the US and the automobile came of age at the same time and our city planning revolved around a car instead of public transportation. Europe's more cramped confines, good public transportation and narrow streets make the car an easy target.
I really do think America's car-centric planning is a big cause of the problems today. Traffic jams, vast suburban tract homes, giant malls.. these all promote inefficiency and was built around the car. Going into the future, they should concentrate on building more places where the car is not the ONLY choice to get around easily.

I grew up in San Francisco and have never had a NEED for a car. I like cars and they are fun but it's just entertainment for me. Not something I need every day to get to work or go out on the weekends. I believe more place should try to urbanize and create a more efficient network of transportation.
      07-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #22
Darth Federer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I really do think America's car-centric planning is a big cause of the problems today. Traffic jams, vast suburban tract homes, giant malls.. these all promote inefficiency and was built around the car. Going into the future, they should concentrate on building more places where the car is not the ONLY choice to get around easily.

I grew up in San Francisco and have never had a NEED for a car. I like cars and they are fun but it's just entertainment for me. Not something I need every day to get to work or go out on the weekends. I believe more place should try to urbanize and create a more efficient network of transportation.
I'd say that sounds like a philosophy incongruent with American ideals of freedom. In America the car is much more than your transportation or flashy fun. It represents personal freedom above all else. As opposed to thinking they promote inefficiency, that sounds like something you'd here in the former USSR or UCLA, think of it as promoting your freedom. If the free market decides that urbanization and public transportation is good than it will happen on it's own. Otherwise it is forced on you by some faceless bureaucrat. If Chevy or Ford said they were not going to offer a gas guzzling tire burner as an option because they were worried about inefficiencies then they would face an angry revolt from the car buying public. You can have good ideas but fortunately, in the USA, you can't force people to like them. Think about the money pit that is the high speed rail debacle in California right now. Sure it's a fine idea. It's just an idea no one cares about or is inclined to use.
Appreciate 0