BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-04-2022, 05:37 PM   #1
madshenriksen
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 30d M-sport

Garage List
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
https://youtube.com/shorts/a6Egdg0eJGY?feature=share

Can someone tell me where this noise is coming from? Monday is the 3rd visit to the dealership. It started as periodic noise over speed bumps, now it's almost everytime going over small bumps/uneven structure on the road. Last week I started to notice the same noise when I steer to the right at low speeds. Sound is loudest when the car is cold and seems like it's coming from the right front wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 06:25 PM   #2
Bimma30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30i

I have the same sound for a while now. I took it to the dealership 2 times for the same issue, had a foreman take a ride with me and heard the noise as well and they couldn't find the what the problem was. So disappointing. Please update us if they find what the issue is. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 07:56 PM   #3
moeharri
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
Do you feel this is the same noise as described in my thread below? It sounds about right to me, but your road is so smooth compared to roads around me. Could you try on a bumpier road and record that? I'm going to try to record mine tomorrow morning.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1903007
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 05:45 PM   #4
madshenriksen
Private
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimma30 View Post
I have the same sound for a while now. I took it to the dealership 2 times for the same issue, had a foreman take a ride with me and heard the noise as well and they couldn't find the what the problem was. So disappointing. Please update us if they find what the issue is. Thank you
Will do. Dealership keeps the car for a week to see if the noise still occur after it sits over night after repairing
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 05:54 PM   #5
madshenriksen
Private
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moeharri View Post
Do you feel this is the same noise as described in my thread below? It sounds about right to me, but your road is so smooth compared to roads around me. Could you try on a bumpier road and record that? I'm going to try to record mine tomorrow morning.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1903007
Definitely sounds like what you are describing. Drives me insane. Usually at its peak in the morning and subsides when the car is warm. Goes from the noise heard in the video to a more clunky sound when I have been bumping the worst out of it haha. I have been trying to record as you requested, but sound is really difficult to reproduce on video. In general the noise is constant going over speed bumps no matter the circumstances and more periodic when driving on bumpier roads or just hitting a small hole.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 10:59 PM   #6
moeharri
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Agreed, it is very difficult to record on video. I tried recording today, but unfortunately my street has lots of puddles right now (melting snow) and the puddle noises are louder than the suspension rattling.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 09:47 AM   #7
brettl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i

I have this, and it's been in 3 times for it. I noticed when the car was fairly new and it has progressively gotten worse. I can actually feel it a bit in the steering wheel now. I reported it prior to having an accident where they needed to replace the knuckle on the front right, after those repairs it was still present. The dealer most recently supposedly did a complete inspection of the front end and reported everything okay. Need to identify some spots near the dealership that can trigger the noise and take the foreman for a ride. Frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 10:22 AM   #8
moeharri
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettl View Post
I have this, and it's been in 3 times for it. I noticed when the car was fairly new and it has progressively gotten worse. I can actually feel it a bit in the steering wheel now. I reported it prior to having an accident where they needed to replace the knuckle on the front right, after those repairs it was still present. The dealer most recently supposedly did a complete inspection of the front end and reported everything okay. Need to identify some spots near the dealership that can trigger the noise and take the foreman for a ride. Frustrating.
We're all in this together. Hopefully someone will figure it out and we can tell our dealerships what the issue is and how to resolve it!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 04:14 PM   #9
Admiral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 2.0D X Line G01

I have it too, also I cannot work it out, I will check this tread to see what the outcome ans fix is. If I can get my car into my dealer and they know or can fix the the fault, I will report back
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 04:24 PM   #10
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Has anyone experiencing this problem gone through the G42, 2 series thread on the same subject? Wonder if there is some commonality in design or materials that is leading to this noise?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 02:50 AM   #11
madshenriksen
Private
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
Update:

After testing the car for a full week, my dealership just called me to say they are recognising the noise as "unusual" and think it's related to the right front shock absorber… They change it in a couple of hours. Let's see where this goes. I'll give you a further update later on
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 09:06 AM   #12
rob175
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xiDrive30

Sounds like a "bottoming out" type of sound....shocks, springs, coil overs, etc etc
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 03:06 PM   #13
moeharri
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshenriksen View Post
Update:

After testing the car for a full week, my dealership just called me to say they are recognising the noise as "unusual" and think it's related to the right front shock absorber… They change it in a couple of hours. Let's see where this goes. I'll give you a further update later on
Please do let us know. I can't imagine how they're shipping all of these new vehicles for 4+ years with bad front right shocks!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 02:23 AM   #14
madshenriksen
Private
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Update:

Please do let us know. I can't imagine how they're shipping all of these new vehicles for 4+ years with bad front right shocks!
Yep. Seems like it wasn't the problem either. Yet to get some information but they just extended the lease for my loaner for another TWO weeks…. Just give me a new car🥲
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 01:39 PM   #15
moeharri
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep. Seems like it wasn't the problem either. Yet to get some information but they just extended the lease for my loaner for another TWO weeks…. Just give me a new car🥲
Any luck yet at your dealership figuring anything out?

Unfortunately, my trip to the dealer on 3/11 resulted in a "could not duplicate"! I even went for a ride with them and OF COURSE it didn't make a noise (the suspension was too warmed up from my long drive). Meanwhile, I spend around 40 minutes each day in the vehicle (20 in the morning and 20 in the afternoon) and it makes the noise 100% of the time. I wish I lived closer than 90 minutes from my dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 04:30 PM   #16
BimmerXdrive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, my trip to the dealer on 3/11 resulted in a "could not duplicate"! I even went for a ride with them and OF COURSE it didn't make a noise (the suspension was too warmed up from my long drive). Meanwhile, I spend around 40 minutes each day in the vehicle (20 in the morning and 20 in the afternoon) and it makes the noise 100% of the time. I wish I lived closer than 90 minutes from my dealership.
Maybe have someone follow you to park it at the dealer come back the next day cold start and drive with tech. Inconvenient but that's up to you.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 07:48 PM   #17
moeharri
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerXdrive View Post
Maybe have someone follow you to park it at the dealer come back the next day cold start and drive with tech. Inconvenient but that's up to you.
Eventually I may, but that's 6 hours of driving (2 round trips) and they're not open on the weekends, meaning I'd have to take off of work. I'm still hoping someone else on this site/thread will figure out what's wrong for those of us that haven't had luck (I've tried 3-4 times without any results).
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2022, 07:53 PM   #18
BimmerXdrive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Quote:
Eventually I may, but that's 6 hours of driving (2 round trips) and they're not open on the weekends, meaning I'd have to take off of work. I'm still hoping someone else on this site/thread will figure out what's wrong for those of us that haven't had luck (I've tried 3-4 times without any results).
I hear you that's extremely inconvenient. Can you post a video of the sound happening from a driving pov inside the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 09:04 PM   #19
moeharri
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I hear you that's extremely inconvenient. Can you post a video of the sound happening from a driving pov inside the cabin.
I'll give it another try tomorrow morning. I haven't had luck as the microphone on my phone apparently doesn't record what a human ear hears.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2022, 05:18 PM   #20
madshenriksen
Private
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Nope. Two weeks gone and this morning they just extended my loaner for another week until April 1st. I'll call them tomorrow to hear what's going on. At least my dealership is pretty persistent and waits 1-2 days before they drive after repair. I know for a fact now they have almost changed everything down there now (mechanic said that last time). I'll give you guys an update.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 09:03 PM   #21
moeharri
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I appreciate the update.

I don't understand why this is so difficult to figure out! It's a very abnormal noise and I'd think to a mechanic that it'd be easy to find the cause. Perhaps they could mount a Go Pro inside the wheel well (just throwing ideas out there) to see what's making the noise that shouldn't. How BMW can get 3 corners of the X3 correct but not the front right boggles my mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 06:16 AM   #22
madshenriksen
Private
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
Yesterday I got called up by the mechanic at the dealership saying he has never experienced anything like this before. Usually they find out what's going on pretty fast and having the car in for 3 weeks without any solution is really unusual.

He has called BMW multiple times to be given some options and one of them was to change the steering rack. They actually changed the steering rack two months ago because of noise when turning left in reverse. I'm beginning to think this is a lot more fundamental problem.

In november last year when I first had it in, they changed the right front bearing, and now they have changed it again - no improvement.

Mechanic says he knows exactly how to produce the sound and finding it weird that the noise is so inconsistent and changing in sound.

I will get a call up again next week.
Appreciate 0