BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-28-2022, 05:19 PM   #1
moeharri
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
New 2022 X3 M40i, same "thunking" sound?

On my 2019 X3 30i, I often heard a "thunking" noise from the front passenger suspension area, especially when the car was cold (I'm in Wisconsin).

This happens while traveling straight and is easiest to hear under 20 MPH. The sound seems like it's coming from the front passenger suspension when going over road imperfections/vibrations. I'd describe it as sounding like a loose wheel or maybe something like a tennis ball being shaken in a kettle. I previously brought it up multiple times while in for service and they could either not duplicate or said the noise was "normal".

Much to my dismay, this past weekend, I traded in the 2019 X3 30i for a 2022 X3 M40i and the exact same noise is present. I don't understand what this noise is or how it isn't driving everyone insane. I can't believe that it's just my two vehicles in a row with this sound. Does anyone have any ideas? I can try to record the sound, but it'll probably be difficult to capture.

If anyone figures this out, I will be sending you a gift :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 05:26 PM   #2
Sumando
I got ALL of the options.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Are you in Sport or Sport+ mode? Mine "thumps" while going up through the gears. I've convinced myself that it is coming from the Steptronic transmission skipping some of the gears that aren't needed for optimal performance.

Or it might just be something unrelated. For what it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 05:30 PM   #3
moeharri
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm in comfort mode, just driving down the street my house is on at maybe 15-20 MPH. It just sounds like a damaged suspension, but given that it's two X3's in a row (neither with any damage), it's got to be something that I'm overlooking. I was so excited to get the new M40i, but this noise is a major annoyance and would give anyone a bad impression of the vehicle's quality.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 06:11 PM   #4
phytonic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive30i

Mine does the exact same thing. Right front area I am pretty sure. ONLY when its cold. It goes away when its warm. And even when it's cold, if I drive awhile, it stops. To me its like the grease in the struts or shocks or whatever just isn't smooth enough when it's cold. That clunk or click is just brittle parts moving against each other?

Not normal, in my opinion, but it's never gotten worse over 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 06:32 PM   #5
moeharri
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phytonic View Post
Mine does the exact same thing. Right front area I am pretty sure. ONLY when its cold. It goes away when its warm. And even when it's cold, if I drive awhile, it stops. To me its like the grease in the struts or shocks or whatever just isn't smooth enough when it's cold. That clunk or click is just brittle parts moving against each other?

Not normal, in my opinion, but it's never gotten worse over 2 years.
I'm sorry to hear you have the same issue but LOVE that it's not just me. I agree that if I drive around for maybe 15-30 minutes until the car warms up (even if it's still very cold out--maybe 0 degrees F), the thunking goes away or is much quieter. I really just wish we could figure out what this is!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 10:26 PM   #6
gatechman
Registered
Rep

I am also experiencing this with my 2021 X3 30i whenever temp is 35 F or below...usually while backing out of driveway or going over minor bumps. Goes away once the car is warmed up. I mentioned this issue while my vehicle was in for the 10,000 mi service. The Tech re-torqued the front end suspension bolts, but the creak/thunk is still there. Annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 08:34 AM   #7
moeharri
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Today I paid more attention and the slower you're going, the louder it is (given the less road and wind noise). It took around 15-20 minutes to go away. Until then, it sounds like an old jalopy with a broken suspension. Why is this only on the passenger side?
There's gotta be a fix for this.

Does anyone living in a cold climate NOT have this issue? Or, has anyone successfully gotten BMW to correct something?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 09:07 AM   #8
Oswego79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 M Sport, 22 X3 M40i

Same issue when the car is cold, seems to go away when warmed up.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 09:15 AM   #9
thisberob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: EFTHIRTY

Hi guys,

My wife's 2021 x3 30i has what sounds and seems like the same noise. A clunking/grinding noise while going over speed bumps at low speeds (10-15 mph) and going down ramps (5-10mph). Most prevalent when the car has a vertical change or compression/decompression. No noises when the car makes turns.

The car has been with the dealer going on 5 weeks now. They've replaced the control arms and struts along with various misc parts. The noise went away for about 2 days after the struts were replaced but came back. Could have been that we had a few warm days (50s as a high) around the time of strut replacement. The noise is less noticeable when the car is warm but is still there.

I have several recordings of the noise that I was able to show to the dealer and was also able to reproduce the noise. No solution yet.

EDIT:
As a side note, I had a F30 340 that had a very similar noise and they also replaced a bunch of suspension components but it turned out to be loose engine mounts. Mentioned this to the dealer several times with the X3 but they haven't acknowledged it.

Last edited by thisberob; 03-01-2022 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 11:18 AM   #10
moeharri
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisberob View Post

I have several recordings of the noise that I was able to show to the dealer and was also able to reproduce the noise. No solution yet.

EDIT:
As a side note, I had a F30 340 that had a very similar noise and they also replaced a bunch of suspension components but it turned out to be loose engine mounts. Mentioned this to the dealer several times with the X3 but they haven't acknowledged it.
I'm hoping/assuming it can't be something as critical as loose engine mounts as that would be very bad and would be very bad luck for me to get on two vehicles in a row, separated by 3 years.

Given that the noise goes away when the car (or outside temperature) is warm, it's got to be something such as lubrication not working properly or maybe something expands when it's warm and then stops "thunking". Why it's only on the front right instead of all corners of the vehicle makes no sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 11:34 AM   #11
DreamX3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I'm in MN and hear the exact same noise when first start driving, but it stops after about a minute or two of driving. I have a 22 M40i that I took delivery of about a month ago. Since it goes away so fast for me, I assumed it was part of the adaptive suspension
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2022, 12:25 PM   #12
moeharri
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamX3 View Post
I'm in MN and hear the exact same noise when first start driving, but it stops after about a minute or two of driving. I have a 22 M40i that I took delivery of about a month ago. Since it goes away so fast for me, I assumed it was part of the adaptive suspension
I wonder why it goes away so quickly for you. Perhaps you're on a road with more noise or have the radio up louder (not that it would matter for me--my noise is quite loud depending on how cold it is)? And, it's not the adaptive suspension given that my 2019 30i had the same noise with the non-adaptive suspension.

I just stepped out for lunch and it's 35 degrees F and I didn't hear anything. So, after the car sat for around 4 hours, the noise isn't back yet. It may be back this evening when I drive home from work, but it will for sure be back in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 12:48 PM   #13
DreamX3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeharri View Post
I wonder why it goes away so quickly for you. Perhaps you're on a road with more noise or have the radio up louder (not that it would matter for me--my noise is quite loud depending on how cold it is)? And, it's not the adaptive suspension given that my 2019 30i had the same noise with the non-adaptive suspension.

I just stepped out for lunch and it's 35 degrees F and I didn't hear anything. So, after the car sat for around 4 hours, the noise isn't back yet. It may be back this evening when I drive home from work, but it will for sure be back in the morning.
Not sure why but I'm glad it does! I hear it happen when I hit the first couple bumps then it just goes away. If it happens more than that I would likely have it looked at.

Did you buy from Motorworks? I got mine down in Rochester at Park Place and they have been great so far. I had some issues with the fiber optic light strips in front doors and they are swapping them out as we speak actually.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 01:07 PM   #14
moeharri
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I did not purchase from Motorworks. I purchased from Bergstrom (Enterprise) BMW in Appleton, WI. They're great, but this issue has annoyed me for going on 3.5 years and I was really hopeful the new vehicle wouldn't make the noise and it's likely much worse than my 2019 was.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 01:08 PM   #15
DreamX3
Private
Rep

Quote:
I did not purchase from Motorworks. I purchased from Bergstrom (Enterprise) BMW in Appleton, WI. They're great, but this issue has annoyed me for going on 3.5 years and I was really hopeful the new vehicle wouldn't make the noise and it's likely much worse than my 2019 was.
Hopefully you get it sorted out soon!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 05:09 PM   #16
phytonic
Enlisted Member
Rep

I had a MKV Jetta back in the day and after a year or so it developed the same issue. Clicks and clunks over bumps when cold. Went away after driving. The fix was simple - it just needed some sort of new rubber bushing. Not something they could lubricate they said. The issue for me was when I got the car back the alignment was messed up and it took multiple return trips the the steering wheel alignment to be to my liking again.

I have decided this clicking noise is not severe enough for me to have the BMW techs "fix" it only to have my alignment messed up. I am a bit OCD about on-center steering wheels!

The BMW has made the click/clunk noise since Day 1. But again, after over 2 years, it has never gotten worse or changed.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 06:48 AM   #17
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

just make sure its not the passenger side seat belt slapping against the hard plastic trim up near the adjustable height mechanism. sorry to be "that guy" but I was once convinced there was something wrong and just as I was about to call the dealership i looked over and it occurred to me it might be that and when I slid the plastic retainer up as high as I could it pushed the buckle tight against the sidewall and the noise stopped.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 09:53 AM   #18
DreamX3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchgrif View Post
just make sure its not the passenger side seat belt slapping against the hard plastic trim up near the adjustable height mechanism. sorry to be "that guy" but I was once convinced there was something wrong and just as I was about to call the dealership i looked over and it occurred to me it might be that and when I slid the plastic retainer up as high as I could it pushed the buckle tight against the sidewall and the noise stopped.
Great idea, I'm going to check this next time I drive!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 06:10 PM   #19
moeharri
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchgrif View Post
It is 100% not the passenger seat belt. I do adjust that every time someone gets out of the vehicle, but that sound is nothing like the clunking/thunking sound coming from the front right suspension.

It's SO bad it's driving me crazy. I'm trying to not do anything rash like trading it in with 200 miles for another brand...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 09:05 AM   #20
DreamX3
Private
Rep

Quote:
It is 100% not the passenger seat belt. I do adjust that every time someone gets out of the vehicle, but that sound is nothing like the clunking/thunking sound coming from the front right suspension.

It's SO bad it's driving me crazy. I'm trying to not do anything rash like trading it in with 200 miles for another brand...
Highly suggest you take it in and have a service manager ride with you!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 10:10 PM   #21
moeharri
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamX3 View Post
Highly suggest you take it in and have a service manager ride with you!
That won't work. I live 90 minutes away and by the time I get there, the noise would be gone. They'd have to keep it overnight and then I wouldn't be there to point out the noise (not that I should have to--it's ridiculously loud).

I'm hoping someone on here has had this same problem and gotten an actual fix from the dealer or can point to a TSB so I can fully enjoy the car. Spending the first 20 minutes of the ride each day listening to that sound is very upsetting.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 02:08 PM   #22
k9lovr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 and 22' X3M40i

We have the same issue on our 2022....monitoring to see if there isa solution discovered
Appreciate 0