BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-07-2020, 02:37 PM   #45
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
That would have been a scary moment!

Have you tried manual mode in sport and flicking through the gears? Noticed any improvements in gear changes with that?
It was scary for sure, less so since I've seen similar issues on the various FB groups and forums so I knew how to approach it to hopefully recover. That and I was at home and have a spare vehicle so I had support in place.

I have not yet tried manual. I'll try it tonight. I also got the MHD connector in and set it up, works well and is easy. Now that I have it broken in, I pulled the diagnostics and all the clutches look good so I don't see a concern transmission wise.

My concern is the sheer torque I'm making now with my semi-custom E30 map. I'm honestly a little anxious about launching it with the better launch control that I might break something like the 340 guys have done. I did a quasi launch (let go of the brake before it got to 2k rpm) and was ever so slightly faster to 1/4, but the 60-130 was notably faster. I might just say screw it and launch and pray for no broken driveshaft, after I find a number for a tow service just in case.
      10-07-2020, 08:36 PM   #46
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torinalth View Post
Quote:
That would have been a scary moment!

Have you tried manual mode in sport and flicking through the gears? Noticed any improvements in gear changes with that?
It was scary for sure, less so since I've seen similar issues on the various FB groups and forums so I knew how to approach it to hopefully recover. That and I was at home and have a spare vehicle so I had support in place.

I have not yet tried manual. I'll try it tonight. I also got the MHD connector in and set it up, works well and is easy. Now that I have it broken in, I pulled the diagnostics and all the clutches look good so I don't see a concern transmission wise.

My concern is the sheer torque I'm making now with my semi-custom E30 map. I'm honestly a little anxious about launching it with the better launch control that I might break something like the 340 guys have done. I did a quasi launch (let go of the brake before it got to 2k rpm) and was ever so slightly faster to 1/4, but the 60-130 was notably faster. I might just say screw it and launch and pray for no broken driveshaft, after I find a number for a tow service just in case.
I've experienced a failed flash on my previous E92 N54, and it was a heart in mouth moment... it happened a couple more times after that and I was definitely calmer in dealing with the situation.

Great to hear regarding the MHD adapter! I'll wait for this to arrive since I'm in no rush.

Re: Launch control, are you able to modify the parameters in there for this? I completely share your concerns with this here..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:31 PM   #47
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Re: Launch control, are you able to modify the parameters in there for this? I completely share your concerns with this here..
yes. but not as intuitive as you'd like. you can change the torque on launch and torque after by way of +/- %. I'll have to play with it stock first and see if I want or need to up or lower anything. but it looks like the power value isn't changing anything from stock, but I heard the LC is slightly different overall. I'll try tonight and see what is different, my insurance has roadside assist.... I just hope I have service where I test my car.
      10-08-2020, 12:50 PM   #48
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01///G20///I20

Great news.

Loved xHP in my E90!

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 02:34 PM   #49
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

How long does it take to flash?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 09:59 PM   #50
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
First flash was just over 2 min, second flash was 17 seconds
      10-10-2020, 07:34 AM   #51
JdmFac
Registered
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40I

Did anyone notice that the upshifts 'fart' are no longer present?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #52
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdmFac View Post
After flashing a tune, or 2020+ "TU" models?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 08:32 PM   #53
JdmFac
Registered
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
Quote:
After flashing a tune, currently on xhp stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 08:32 PM   #54
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
Quote:
After flashing a tune, currently on xhp stage 2.
I haven't flashed yet.

Torinalth did you notice anything?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 02:08 PM   #55
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I never cared for them, so I didn't pay attention. from what I recall on my last drive to work I don't remember them being there. but I don't know if thats from XHP, BM3, or something else I've changed. I could also be misremembering and just blocking them out of my mind. I'll check when I drive home.

Finally found a problem. Not sure how to recreate it yet, but it's happened twice. It's at part throttle, shifter in D, and I was in sport individual. I THINK I was on the gas moderately then backed off, then back on again hard like 80% throttle and It almost felt like overboost and went immediately into limp mode. It says normal driving is fine, but the car will NOT accept any throttle input and just coasts till a full stop. turning it off and back on clears it, but super weird and kinda dangerous. There are no stored codes on TCU or DME, and the error on the screen disappears as fast as it comes on so it's been a huge pain to figure out so far. Just be aware about it till I can figure out how to recreate, capture, or prevent it. Though I'm also wondering if it's in part due to my super high torque map I'm running getting 21 PSI almost instantly... might flash to the OTS stage 2+ e30 and see if it happens again.
_ink619.00
      10-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #56
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks to the trailblazers.
Appreciate 1
_ink619.00
      10-13-2020, 06:39 PM   #57
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
That is very strange, there should at least be a shadow code to pull there?

MHD adaptor arrived yesterday so I'll be TCU flashing very soon.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431796.50
      10-14-2020, 06:22 AM   #58
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Just flashed stage 3 today, connectivity wise on my Pixel Phone I could not get xHP to connect to the MHD wireless dongle, however, the wired DCAN cable worked instantly.

I went straight out to pick up some dinner once the flash completed, and went easy on the throttle but went through the different gearing modes in Auto, Sport-auto and manual, as well as the different driving modes (comfort, sport individual, sport plus) etc..

Still very early days and very initial impressions, but the manual gear shifts in sport plus were insanely quick, and literally felt instant! Can't wait to have it run in and then really put it through its paces!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 01:09 PM   #59
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
ok, played with it today, and the shifting "farts" are gone for sure. Again I have no idea if this is an XHP, BM3, or other coding thing i've done at this point. With so many settings changed at this point I'll never figure it out without starting over, and I don't care enough to do it.

Regarding the manual shifting asked about above, there really is no difference from auto. the speed of the shift is the same as auto, but my guess is that you wanted to know more about time to shift after paddle activation... and there I can't see a difference between pre and post xhp. My money it's a slow down somewhere in the process of where the car registers the paddle movement and telling the car to shift. No idea how to look into that or play with it.
      10-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #60
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01///G20///I20

Quote:
ok, played with it today, and the shifting "farts" are gone for sure. .

awww, I like the farts during shifts, sounds very much like the GT3 shifts

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:48 PM   #61
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
ok, played with it today, and the shifting "farts" are gone for sure. Again I have no idea if this is an XHP, BM3, or other coding thing i've done at this point. With so many settings changed at this point I'll never figure it out without starting over, and I don't care enough to do it.

Regarding the manual shifting asked about above, there really is no difference from auto. the speed of the shift is the same as auto, but my guess is that you wanted to know more about time to shift after paddle activation... and there I can't see a difference between pre and post xhp. My money it's a slow down somewhere in the process of where the car registers the paddle movement and telling the car to shift. No idea how to look into that or play with it.
from my post above yours, my experience seems to be different from a manual/paddle shift perspective in Sports Plus, I haven't tried it in other modes though which I will throughout the week.

Have you been able to replicate the issue you encountered yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 12:24 AM   #62
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
from my post above yours, my experience seems to be different from a manual/paddle shift perspective in Sports Plus, I haven't tried it in other modes though which I will throughout the week.

Have you been able to replicate the issue you encountered yet?
not since I posted. but haven't tried too hard. I'll have some time tomorrow and will be on back roads so I can give it a go safely if it breaks. both times were low speed though <50. I'll also play a bit more with manual mode and see if I'm missing something that you are seeing.

Side note I finally got some good runs in and can compare pre and post XHP. ignore the 1/2 mile, I let off before. I can post the detailed items if needed, but screen shotting the main page makes it easier to share all the fun numbers

my semi-custom E30 map - no trans flash

same map, similar temp, xhp stage 3 tonight

Side note, I got a message from a guy about why my stuff from last year, also 11.8, is the same with just a stage 1 e30 tune and no mods. partially it's bad road conditions and a lower temp on my stage 1 run.... but then it dawned on me. I went to the 275 square setup 6 months ago. using the replica wheels to mimic the oem rears for the front and the larger rubber my rotating mass made a huge jump that is killing my numbers. I didn't even think about that till recently. going to have to look into lighter weight wheels this coming year.
      10-15-2020, 05:49 AM   #63
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Quote:
not since I posted. but haven't tried too hard. I'll have some time tomorrow and will be on back roads so I can give it a go safely if it breaks. both times were low speed though <50. I'll also play a bit more with manual mode and see if I'm missing something that you are seeing.

Side note I finally got some good runs in and can compare pre and post XHP. ignore the 1/2 mile, I let off before. I can post the detailed items if needed, but screen shotting the main page makes it easier to share all the fun numbers

my semi-custom E30 map - no trans flash

same map, similar temp, xhp stage 3 tonight

Side note, I got a message from a guy about why my stuff from last year, also 11.8, is the same with just a stage 1 e30 tune and no mods. partially it's bad road conditions and a lower temp on my stage 1 run.... but then it dawned on me. I went to the 275 square setup 6 months ago. using the replica wheels to mimic the oem rears for the front and the larger rubber my rotating mass made a huge jump that is killing my numbers. I didn't even think about that till recently. going to have to look into lighter weight wheels this coming year.
If that message was on Dragy, that would have been me .

I've just flashed to stage 1 BM3 myself, now pulling 4.0 for 0-100 kph from a 4.6 stock.

I'm hoping the move to stage 2+ (I already have the fuel pump and downpipe waiting) will bring the time down considerably, hence why I was surprised you hadn't gone a bit faster with the extra mods and the E30 combo.

The XHP flash looks to have made a decent difference though, appreciate all you guys acting as guinea pigs on this one, I'll be flashing my trans as soon as my car comes back from new wheels, tinted windows and springs.

Keep up the good work everyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #64
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBen View Post

I'm hoping the move to stage 2+ (I already have the fuel pump and downpipe waiting) will bring the time down considerably, hence why I was surprised you hadn't gone a bit faster with the extra mods and the E30 combo.

The XHP flash looks to have made a decent difference though, appreciate all you guys acting as guinea pigs on this one, I'll be flashing my trans as soon as my car comes back from new wheels, tinted windows and springs.
Xhp makes a pretty solid difference in the runs, and it's doing a lot for my launch, which I'm still playing with. I'll be fiddling with the launch control over the next week to see how it goes.

Yeah , I've been expecting better times too. I thought it was just the summer heat (didn't test dragy after my stage 1 e30 run till the summer) but now its similar weather and times. It's behaving like I'm a good bit heavier and the different wheels and rubber makes sense tonwhy. I'd probably cut a couple 10ths off if I had stock wheels, but maybe lose traction? Probably never know but that's why I'm slower than I should be.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #65
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Great improvements from the xHP tune Torinalth

Did you happen to weigh your stock wheels vs New wheels?

My new rims are 2.5kgs lighter in the rear, and about 1.2kgs light in the front (per corner) so an overall 7.4kg total saving, which isn't bad at all considering the added width on my new shoes.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 08:37 PM   #66
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
no, I wasn't concerned at all with weight, more so with grip and handling. so now I'm having to walk it back a but now that I proved the concept of putting 275s all around. I'm going to pull out the scale and take a rim off this weekend and see. I couldn't find the shipping weight on my email from the parts company. either way if the stock ones are like 34 lbs, and I canget it down to like 25.... that'd be massive savings. but we'll see. one thing at a time