BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #23
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #24
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by suby01 View Post
Oh snap Im going to reach out to them see what they have to say about the 2020 M40i.
Let me know what they say!
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 10:56 PM   #25
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Just saw their post and video and it's confusing as it looks like the dash is ID6...
Appreciate 1
Alias1431799.50
      10-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #26
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 M40i

Garage List
So, either the g01 with the hp50 is not supported or I'm just not able to get the wired connection to work. Ordering mhd adapter and will try again when it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 04:44 PM   #27
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torinalth View Post
So, either the g01 with the hp50 is not supported or I'm just not able to get the wired connection to work. Ordering mhd adapter and will try again when it arrives.
Damn, hope it is. So many cars out there with it, mine included. Also, I feel like people are more likely to do stuff like this after the warranty is up. You'd figure they'd work on the HP50 now, and then focus on the HP51 later.

Last edited by Alias1431; 10-02-2020 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #28
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I'd agree. but I think _INK had it right where the ID6 was shown, which is 2019 and 2018. And my Vin is listed as supported. So I think their 8hp51 was supposed to say 8hp50. But since I can't get it to connect hardlined I'll try the MHD adapter and see if I can make that work. I expedited it and berger shipped it already so maybe by sunday.

****One point of note. I've been all over the XHP site, FB page, and the posts about it in the F30 forum. It can be super temperamental on flashing, especially initial flash, leading to errors and not running right. It seems in nearly every case of having a problem on flash its a slight dip in voltage. flashing the TCU is more affected by the transient dip than the DME, so even if having no issues with flashing the car to more power the TCU still might error. The solution is to hookup a battery tender. I already had the NOCO Genius10 shipped over in anticipation of RBTuning finally getting our car set for the tranny flash. so, hopefully I wont brick the car with this in place.
      10-02-2020, 06:25 PM   #29
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Good info, let us know!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 12:23 AM   #30
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Good news and bad news.

The good: I managed to connect to the tcu and get it to read my car and save to my profile. It then agreed that it'd support our vehicles. At least the 2019, with the middle Vin of ts3c. Check on their site to plug in your Vin to check. This should mean the 2018 also and any 5 series and x5 and any G series before the tu engine upgrades. The tu might also be supported but I can't test that myself.

The bad: I can't recreate the connection again. I connected at work with the car on and no charger available so I wasn't going to flash. I also know it's not smart to flash with the car on anyhow. Regardless I have a few things I can test tomorrow or Sunday and once I figure out the proper method, I'll post.

Note, Apple people might have an easier time as android is not very good at integrating the wired ether net option like I'm using. Also if anyone has an mhd adapter then they might be golden to test. I think I'm literally using the most finicky method for this process being android and wired ethernet to USB-c adaptor.

I'm trying to attach pictures but it's not playing nice. I'll post images once they upload right.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 01:06 AM   #31
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the update.

I don't know about this stuff, but I know for Bimmercode it's very picky- you MUST be in airplane mode, be in park, etc. Could that perhaps be a reason for not getting a subsequent connection?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #32
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
It's not airplane mode For sure. I also don't use airplane mode for bimmercode ✈️. I got it to connect again when I just tossed my adapter on before going to the store but again only with the car on. It's something about not being able to initialize the ethernet connection that has no issue when the car is on. I've got time tomorrow with my family going to a play date so I'll figure it out. I also purchased the license and map pack in preparation. I'll update when done, or I give up.

Last edited by Torinalth; 10-03-2020 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
Alias1431799.50
      10-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #33
g0t2bmiirii
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

I was looking at the different licenses. They have a thing that removes the " torque limiter "

The M40's torque is actually limited?? I'm new to the BMW flashing, seems cheap when i was looking to buy a license
      10-04-2020, 11:26 AM   #34
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
ok, managed to get it to work. man, what a pain in the ass with the wired method on android. for those that need help with that you have to set the static IP for ethernet as noted in the manual. then I had to disconnect the adapter and restart the phone. Once up and going I had to disable wifi (not airplane), plug the usb-c to ethernet adapter in, then the ethernet-obd2 cable into the adapter. if I didn't do it this way it tried to power the car and not read from it. Note, that I did hookup my carger and had it trickling before I ever got into the car to start the process. but with this I could connect to the car reliably several times. Of note! xhp is VERY finicky with internet connection, so do yourself a favor and download your maps to the phone (after buying it, activate license and map pack in the phone with the emailed codes, then hit the dots in the corner and hit redownload so its on the phone). I had between 1-2 bars in my driveway and it wouldn't connect to the internet, and since you can't run both WIFI and ethernet (on my phone at least) i had to unhook to get wifi back and then download as noted above.

regardless, when ready to flash turn off all car electronics like radio, AC, and USE A CHARGER for the car battery. Flash took about 2.5 min. Now its time to go to get some food and i'll play with the trans flash lightly. I know its apparently supposed to run like crap the first few miles and not really dial in till like 50 miles so not expecting the world and wont really romp on it hard till I get passed 50 per other people's suggestions. I'll post back when I have insight.

_ink621.00
      10-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #35
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
so after only about 15 miles on it I have just a few points of note on the overt differences. As stated above, I won't be really pushing it till I break it in per several comments by RBT on their page.

first, it now displays your gear in every mode which is nice

second, in comfort mode the shifts are almost non-existent feeling. 1-2 is still there but smoother.

sport isn't changed much under casual to moderate driving.

sport plus is odd. not sure if its a quirk of the tune, or something with the reset adaptations that will correct, but it behaves nearly identical to normal sport and doesn't keep the RPMs at high rev at a lower gear. Used to never get above 6th gear, but now it cruises in 8th. I'll do some research and see what it's supposed to do for certain, but can't say I'm happy with this change. This is stage 2 tune, not 3, but still it should be better not worse. we'll see. I'll update again once I break it in
_ink621.00
VipinLJ1950.50
      10-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #36
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
ok. pulled the flash descriptions and it makes perfect sense why sport+ was behaving the way it did. with XHP the shift lever makes a much bigger difference than with stock tuning. see the below chart for everyone's reference.

X3 M40i (G01) SAV Stage 1
- Added Gear-Display in all Modes
- Removed Torque Limiters

X3 M40i (G01) SAV Stage 2
- Gear Display in all Modes
- Torque Limiters removed
- Totally reconfigured Shift-Logic. 3 Shift Speeds available (Comfort, Sport, Sport+)
- Overall faster shifts than stock, very fast in Sport+
- Strong/fast Throttle-Blips in Sport+
- Remapped Shift-Points
- More spontaneous reactions to driver-inputs
- Removed a bit of the nervous down-shifting in Comfort Mode during braking.
- Removed a bit of the nervous down-shifting on inclines

Description of Modes:
- D/Comfort: Relaxed shift-points with low to medium speed and focus on Comfort. Audible in the high RPM range.
- D/Sport: A tad higher shift-points with medium/high speed. Still a daily-drive mode. Audible in the high RPM range.
- D/Sport+: A tad higher shift-points with medium/high speed. Still a daily-drive mode. (Steering/Suspension are harder than Sport)
- S/Comfort: Higher shift-points with medium-speed, but still comfortable shifts.
- S/Sport: Higher Shift-Points with medium to high speed. Audible in the mid/high RPM range.
- S/Sport+: Race Shift-Points with high-speed and audible shifts
- M/Comfort: Smooth shifting up and down.
- M/Sport: Medium/High-Speed shifts up, Light blips down.
- M/Sport+: High Speed shifts up, noticeable Throttle-Blips down.

X3 M40i (G01) SAV Stage 3
- Totally reconfigured Shift-Logic. 3 Shift Speeds available (Comfort, Sport, Sport+)
- Overall faster shifts than stock, very fast/hard in Sport+
- Very strong/fast Throttle-Blips in Sport+
- Remapped Shift-Points

Description of Modes:
- D/Comfort: Relaxed shift-points with low to medium speed and focus on Comfort. Audible in the high RPM range.
- D/Sport: A tad higher shift-points with medium/high speed. Still a daily-drive mode. Audible in the mid/high RPM range.
- D/Sport+: A tad higher shift-points with medium/high speed. Still a daily-drive mode. (Steering/Suspension are harder than Sport)
- S/Comfort: Higher shift-points with medium speed, but still comfortable shifts.
- S/Sport: Higher Shift-Points with medium to high speed. Audible in the mid/high RPM range.
- S/Sport+: Race Shift-Points with very-high speed and audible shifts
- S/Sport+ with DSC OFF: Pure Race-Map. Optimal acceleration at all time, ready for Race-Track.
- M/Sport+: Very-High Speed shifts up, strong Throttle-Blips down.

Now after getting a full view, I probably should have just grabbed stage 3.... but oh well, I'll give a week or two on stage 2 and see how I like it, then flash to 3 to test the differences. interesting point about stage 3, s/sport+ DSC off. THIS is where the money maker is going to be for getting our 1/4 mile times down. should also be insane for launching. I'll flash my HT e30 map back to the car and see how she does.
_ink621.00
      10-04-2020, 05:31 PM   #37
g0t2bmiirii
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

How much does the license cost?
      10-04-2020, 06:46 PM   #38
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0t2bmiirii View Post
How much does the license cost?
https://shop.rbttuning.com/

You need the license to flash, but need map pack if you want their maps. Some people make custom maps, just like for the engine, but if you want the RBT OTs maps you need the map pack as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 07:50 PM   #39
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Should I do an engine tune at the same time? First engine tune/break-in, then trans tune? Other way around?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 06:29 AM   #40
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
ok. pulled the flash descriptions and it makes perfect sense why sport+ was behaving the way it did. with XHP the shift lever makes a much bigger difference than with stock tuning. see the below chart for everyone's reference.

X3 M40i (G01) SAV Stage 1
- Added Gear-Display in all Modes
- Removed Torque Limiters

X3 M40i (G01) SAV Stage 2
- Overall faster shifts than stock, very fast in Sport+
- Strong/fast Throttle-Blips in Sport+
- Remapped Shift-Points

Description of Modes:
- D/Sport: A tad higher shift-points with medium/high speed. Still a daily-drive mode. Audible in the high RPM range.
- S/Comfort: Higher shift-points with medium-speed, but still comfortable shifts.
- S/Sport+: Race Shift-Points with high-speed and audible shifts
- M/Sport+: High Speed shifts up, noticeable Throttle-Blips down.

X3 M40i (G01) SAV Stage 3
- Overall faster shifts than stock, very fast/hard in Sport+
- Very strong/fast Throttle-Blips in Sport+
- Remapped Shift-Points

Description of Modes:
- D/Sport: A tad higher shift-points with medium/high speed. Still a daily-drive mode. Audible in the mid/high RPM range.
- S/Comfort: Higher shift-points with medium speed, but still comfortable shifts.
- S/Sport+: Race Shift-Points with very-high speed and audible shifts
- S/Sport+ with DSC OFF: Pure Race-Map. Optimal acceleration at all time, ready for Race-Track.
- M/Sport+: Very-High Speed shifts up, strong Throttle-Blips down.

Now after getting a full view, I probably should have just grabbed stage 3.... but oh well, I'll give a week or two on stage 2 and see how I like it, then flash to 3 to test the differences. interesting point about stage 3, s/sport+ DSC off. THIS is where the money maker is going to be for getting our 1/4 mile times down. should also be insane for launching. I'll flash my HT e30 map back to the car and see how she does.
I was going to ask if you had seen the detailed notes on the stages, I'll be going straight to stage 3.

I've ordered the MHD wireless dongle a week back (primarily for wireless data logging, and other upgrades in the pipeline) and I'll wait for this to arrive before flashing the xHP to see if it still has the connectivity nuances that you've gone through with the wired route.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 06:32 AM   #41
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
Should I do an engine tune at the same time? First engine tune/break-in, then trans tune? Other way around?
there's no real sequence, but with the engine tune you will definitely feel in the incremental power and step up in mods and corresponding map stages that you select. The transmission tune is typically to keep up with the power uplift.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 08:18 AM   #42
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

FYI for anyone on here with a 2020.
XHP is not available for 2020 models yet.

It does work with BM3 engine tune and you can get the XHP Transmission tune together on the 18-19 models.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431799.50
      10-06-2020, 01:29 PM   #43
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Flash engine, wait a day, flash transmission. As _ink stated, you will notice the engine much more but this is also a time for diagnostics. Never make multiple changes at the same time, incase something goes wrong you don't know the cause.

Second, I actually was stupid and did both flashes back to back and the engine tune failed part way through. I did this as a sort of test but didn't consider all ramifications. Either way car wouldn't start, so had to pull the battery cable, let sit for an hour, reconnect, and do force full flash and then had it recover.

That said, I did end up flashing to stage 3, not a monster difference from stage 2, but again I'm giving it some time to adapt before I beat the hell out of it. That'll come tomorrow.
_ink621.00
      10-07-2020, 04:03 AM   #44
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Flash engine, wait a day, flash transmission. As _ink stated, you will notice the engine much more but this is also a time for diagnostics. Never make multiple changes at the same time, incase something goes wrong you don't know the cause.

Second, I actually was stupid and did both flashes back to back and the engine tune failed part way through. I did this as a sort of test but didn't consider all ramifications. Either way car wouldn't start, so had to pull the battery cable, let sit for an hour, reconnect, and do force full flash and then had it recover.

That said, I did end up flashing to stage 3, not a monster difference from stage 2, but again I'm giving it some time to adapt before I beat the hell out of it. That'll come tomorrow.
That would have been a scary moment!

Have you tried manual mode in sport and flicking through the gears? Noticed any improvements in gear changes with that?
Appreciate 0