BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #199
Tommyvee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5, 2016 M3

Question

For what its worth. On the pages that detail what is included in the various option packages in the sales brochure - under the Dynamic Handling Package - it shows the icon representing that the Dynamic Handling Package is included in the M Sport Package. Not that it clears it up for sure but maybe BMW got something right?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #200
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyvee View Post
For what its worth. On the pages that detail what is included in the various option packages in the sales brochure - under the Dynamic Handling Package - it shows the icon representing that the Dynamic Handling Package is included in the M Sport Package. Not that it clears it up for sure but maybe BMW got something right?
It's not...it's not...it's not...

And my sales brochure shows that the 309 wheels are included in the 35i SAP package but I have 308 wheels....

I honestly can't read anything more on this topic as it's been debated/documented/discussed all over the place and people still disagree with it... DHP is not part of M-sport..

Take a look at the pictures he just uploaded...it even shows DHP as an optional (additional) feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #201
whispered
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Carbon Black X3 35i

VSS is not part of the M-Package. It's part of the DHP. Try going to BMWUSA to configure a new 35i. You will see VSS listed under the DHP, not M-Package. And I did add it, but it just didn't get built with it. Regardless of whether or not I have it or not, I would still like to figure out what went wrong with the order and why it wasn't included.

Thanks,
SJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
Dude...I hate to tell you again but you don't have DHP. I mean please still have your dealer plug in or do whatever, but you do not have it based on what's on your window sticker. You have variable sport steering...VSS is part of the 35i with SAP or M-sport, but DHP IS A COMPLETELY STAND ALONE OPTION ON ANY PACKAGE. DHP IS NOT PART OF M-SPORT BY DEFAULT>>>IT MUST BE ADDED...and as such it would show up on your window sticker as a 1300 addition.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #202
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Apparently, progress is made my delegating to others to do things. Let me guess, you're a manager of some sort...

Seems interesting that you've taken more interest in this topic that M Sport owners have. But I can tell you that when I select SPORT or SPORT+, the iDrive menu pops up the "configure sport mode" option and the choices are "Drivetrain and Chassis" or "Chassis". The image on the iDrive screen shows the suspension in highlighted color, indicating that these parts will be affected.

But I suppose all that is just a BMW conspiracy to fool us.
+1 on this......and the interesting thing is this... in the idrive it says "chassis" and not "suspension" (ok I know we'll debate symantics" but perhaps without DHP when you go into sport/sport+ there is some sort of "chassis mod" but not the actual "suspension mod"...God knows what that means but maybe what it tunes in sport mode without DHP has nothing to do with the suspension and more with the underlying chassis itself...

when my questions come back from my friend at BMW I'll post b/c what I just wrote was one of the things I asked as well
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #203
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whispered View Post
VSS is not part of the M-Package. It's part of the DHP. Try going to BMWUSA to configure a new 35i. You will see VSS listed under the DHP, not M-Package. And I did add it, but it just didn't get built with it. Regardless of whether or not I have it or not, I would still like to figure out what went wrong with the order and why it wasn't included.

Thanks,
SJ.
dude thats not right...seriously. DHP is for the dynamic dampening factor...

on the 35i with the SAP package you absolutely get VSS...trust me I own one, drive it every day, and when I put it in sport I can feel it...and furthermore this has been vetted out on 15 other threads....VSS is tied to DDC and NOT DHP..trust me

On a 28i with SAP you do not get VSS but on a 35i with SAP you get VSS
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #204
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Thanks,
SJ.
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513681

having steering assist on your vehicle depends on which one your are buying... if you are buying a 28i then "yes" you only get steering assist with the DHP setup...however if you are getting the 35i with SAP you get steering assist and buying DHP only adds EDC to the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #205
whispered
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
dude thats not right...seriously. DHP is for the dynamic dampening factor...

on the 35i with the SAP package you absolutely get VSS...trust me I own one, drive it every day, and when I put it in sport I can feel it...and furthermore this has been vetted out on 15 other threads....VSS is tied to DDC and NOT DHP..trust me

On a 28i with SAP you do not get VSS but on a 35i with SAP you get VSS
So why is VSS listed under DHP, as shown here:
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #206
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Oh dear, can someone just remove a wheel and prove this once and for all
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #207
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
dude I know...it is so confusing to many people. One thing your SA said is correct in that the BMWNA website cannot be the authority on things...

take a look at the link I just sent you...that is a snapshot of a slide that BMW trainers were showing to SAs on what is included/not included in the vehicle.

steering is part of DHP but I can absolutely tell you that in a 35i you get steering assist too...others on here will verify. when I drop my car into sport mode the steering gets very tight. there is just a big difference with what you get in the car based on whether it's a 35i, 28i, with SAP or without SAP.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #208
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Oh dear, can someone just remove a wheel and prove this once and for all
+1... .lmao...how painful is this topic..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #209
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
and yo let me just clarify.... VSS is DEFINITELY ABSOLUTELY 100% included as part of DHP...however....

DHP is NOT the only way to get steering assist...that is really what I'm saying...you can ALSO get steering assist in a 35i if you order the SAP. If I was unclear about that sorry..... so..yes DHP package includes VSS but steering assist also is dropped into the 35i with SAP per that other link I sent you.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #210
whispered
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
and yo let me just clarify.... VSS is DEFINITELY ABSOLUTELY 100% included as part of DHP...however....

DHP is NOT the only way to get steering assist...that is really what I'm saying...you can ALSO get steering assist in a 35i if you order the SAP. If I was unclear about that sorry..... so..yes DHP package includes VSS but steering assist also is dropped into the 35i with SAP per that other link I sent you.
But I don't have the SAP. I have the M-Package. So this means I don't have VSS? Thanks for the clarification!

SJ
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #211
whispered
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

And one more thing, do any of you know what kind of suspension the M-Package comes with then? It says sport suspension delete but then what does it replace it with? It doesn't make sense to me that BMW would remove a sporty suspension and put a "normal" suspension on a M-Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #212
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
And one more thing, do any of you know what kind of suspension the M-Package comes with then? It says sport suspension delete but then what does it replace it with? It doesn't make sense to me that BMW would remove a sporty suspension and put a "normal" suspension on a M-Package.
LMAO... man this is another one of the 50 questions we all have...it's crazy isn't it that this stuff is so confusing???

Personally I don't know what this means, but I can tell you this....when I put the questions into my friend at BMWNA this is another one of things I asked...if I remember correctly this "sport suspension delete" is only on the sheet for the m-sport correct? So hopefully the folks my friend is asking will give us an answer to this as well... I asked 8 specific questions of them....we'll see. It may take a few weeks to get answers though so hang tight.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #213
whispered
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OHHHHHHHHH.....sh*t now I see your concern!! sorry man...

I thought you had SAP and were also adding m-sport...gotcha...

so real quick...can you detail your car again? is it:

35i
no SAP
with M-sport

DHP is in question?

(yes I know I can look at your sheet but I'm wondering what you "thought" you ordered)

Do you see paddle shifters and the rocker switches in your car?
now I'm more confused on your situation

Sure! I have the following:
Carbon Black
35i
Tech Package
Convenience Package
Premium Package
Dynamic Handling Package (This is what I ORDERED)
Cold Weather
M Sport Package
Premium Hi-Fi
BMW Apps

And yes, I have rocker switches and paddle shifters on my m-steering wheel.

Thanks,
SJ
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #214
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sure! I have the following:
Carbon Black
35i
Tech Package
Convenience Package
Premium Package
Dynamic Handling Package (This is what I ORDERED)
Cold Weather
M Sport Package
Premium Hi-Fi
BMW Apps

Thanks,
SJ
cool....ok so when you order m-sport it actually adds all of the components of the SAP for your particular vehicle... so SAP is embedded in the m-sport (hence the name) but DHP is not added automatically.... that has to be tacked on.

so to answer your original question.. ."YES" you have steering assist...go for a drive and drop it into sport mode around 35-40 MPH..you'll definitely feel it tighten up

so from my interpretation of your window sticker, the ONE thing you are missing is EDC (which is the dynamic dampening) part
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #215
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

This is such a waste of time. Why not invite someone from BMW to do a Q & A on this forum on the topic of M Sport, DHP, etc.? If BMW is interested in customer relations they will be happy to help. Now who has a contact at BMW they can invite to the forum?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #216
whispered
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
This is such a waste of time. Why not invite someone from BMW to do a Q & A on this forum on the topic of M Sport, DHP, etc.? If BMW is interested in customer relations they will be happy to help. Now who has a contact at BMW they can invite to the forum?
In all honesty, I am surprised that BMWNA has let this confusion go on for this long. Doesn't anyone working at BMWNA purchase X3s? Argh.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #217
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
Guys, I think we are losing sight of whispered's question here...he ordered M-Sport and DHP, as evidenced by his vehicle inquiry report. The car came with M-Sport and not DHP. At this point, we need to find out if the lack of DHP was a production error, or if BMW had a reason to remove the DHP from the window sticker because of some overlap with the M-Sport package.

Does anyone have a window sticker that shows both the M-Sport package and DHP listed?

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #218
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
OMG you hit the nail on the head!! And seriously this would be the answer...and the #1 REASON it is so frustrating to me personally is that my contact at BMWNA....her job is post-sales product support!!!! And she is a big wig and has the contacts to get this stuff answered!!! So when I saw her the other day and asked her to jump on the forum as a proxy and she said that in the past BMWNA has pushed back on some of their higher level employees on getting on message boards and discussing product details...obviously they are very tight lipped about stuff and when it comes to folks like the woman I know, she gets product info years in advanced and she told me that BMW keeps a close watch on them to make sure no intellectual property is going out the door.

So...as a first step, she had me give her 8 questions to lob back into some folks in Germany. She knows some of the actual engineering people (like the folks who make this crap) and she said she'd try to get some answers....however, the problem with this as you can imagine is that just like with any company's engineering team, getting first hand contact with them and straight answers is very tought b/c the company keeps them in a dark corner away from folks like us!! She is trying.... So net net..not sure if she is going to be able to get herself or another person on this board b/c BMWNA does watch what they are doing...but we'll see... right now it's the only contact I have but she is a good one.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #219
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
+1 If this was facebook I would defriend this thread, its like a bad rash that never goes away
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #220
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_3 View Post
Guys, I think we are losing sight of whispered's question here...he ordered M-Sport and DHP, as evidenced by his vehicle inquiry report. The car came with M-Sport and not DHP. At this point, we need to find out if the lack of DHP was a production error, or if BMW had a reason to remove the DHP from the window sticker because of some overlap with the M-Sport package.

Does anyone have a window sticker that shows both the M-Sport package and DHP listed?
good point...and yes that was the original question. this topic always seems to run rampid....thanks for bringing us back to earth..

so yea that is a great point to see someone's sticker that includes both m-sport and DHP. Here is my fear for whispered... my fear is that the dealer input it into the system incorrectly and now they are trying to cover it up...I'm not a conspiracy theory person but it's my fear b/c I know of 2 other people on this board that have had that problem! Typically what happens is that the SA/CA will build the config for you, but the sales manager is supposed to input it into the system...and if for some reason that didn't happen here and the SA did it incorrectly (which is what happened to one person I know here) then they are going to be in a situation where they have to eat a car....so if they are not an upstanding dealer maybe they are putting up smoke and mirrors hoping it goes away
Appreciate 0