E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2009 CIC I-drive update?

08-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

2009 CIC I-drive update?

I bought my car a year and a half ago with the CIC I-drive, it's a 2009 BTW. I haven't updated it since I bought it and I doubt the owner before had either. Pardon my ignorance, but I-drive updates are something I don't keep up on and don't know anything about. What is the most recent update for my unit and what features does it include? Where do I buy the update and how much is it going to cost me? I also noticed on some of the newer models, the maps look different than they do on mine. Can a 2009 CIC get BMW apps and if so, where? Sorry for all of these questions guys. Your responses are much appreciated.
      08-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
e90ftw
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I just got my car updated today with integration level E89X-13-07-503. I'm not sure what all the new features are, but you can now toggle the gray information box in map view and update maps over USB provided that you have a FSC code. The auto also shifts a lot smoother now.

You can retrofit BMW Apps, but you'll need a software update and a combox retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90ftw View Post
I just got my car updated today with integration level E89X-13-07-503. I'm not sure what all the new features are, but you can now toggle the gray information box in map view and update maps over USB provided that you have a FSC code. The auto also shifts a lot smoother now.

You can retrofit BMW Apps, but you'll need a software update and a combox retrofit.
I have no idea what an FSC code is. What is it?
      08-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
e90ftw
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
I have no idea what an FSC code is. What is it?
It's an activation code unique to your car needed for map updates and activating various CIC functions. You can buy the map update directly from BMW here, or you can buy a FSC code for a lot less from some forum members in this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772078
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
I bought my car a year and a half ago with the CIC I-drive, it's a 2009 BTW. I haven't updated it since I bought it and I doubt the owner before had either. Pardon my ignorance, but I-drive updates are something I don't keep up on and don't know anything about. What is the most recent update for my unit and what features does it include? Where do I buy the update and how much is it going to cost me? I also noticed on some of the newer models, the maps look different than they do on mine. Can a 2009 CIC get BMW apps and if so, where? Sorry for all of these questions guys. Your responses are much appreciated.
There are three things that you can do:
1. Update the software version in your vehicle. Your local BMW dealer should be able to do this for you;

2. Update maps to the latest version;

3. Add other things, like: Bluetooth audio streaming, album art display, BMW apps. For this, you will need to do Combox Media and Connected Drive retrofits. If you are interested in these, we can help. Please send me an email to info@bimmerretrofit.com with your VIN (vehicle identification number) and I will let you know what exactly you will need.

Kate.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
bigshotx1
Member/ E92 Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335ix

I have similar concern. Can I update on my own? NOTE; I do not have a "software update" function. Dealer wants $225.....
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshotx1 View Post
I have similar concern. Can I update on my own? NOTE; I do not have a "software update" function. Dealer wants $225.....
You cannot update the software/firmware of the iDrive without going to a dealership or using dealership/factory tools. That's with *ANY* model of 3 series.

The "Software Update" function in the iDrive is for updating the software on the Combox (if installed). It doesn't add any new features to the iDrive. It's primarily from updating the bluetooth capability on the Combox unit, possibly allowing support for devices not previously supported or expanding existing supported devices to use features in the iDrive (like allowing IOS devices to use the Office functionality in the iDrive).

If you can find a competent coder with the right tools (i.e. an ICOM A+B and ISTA/P or WinKFP), or a good independent with an Autologic, you can probably have it done for a lot less.
Appreciate 0