E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Convert US specs to German specs?

07-18-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
KMIL325i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 Arctic 325i

Convert US specs to German specs?

Need some info / help / advice . . . I'm in the Army and purchased my 2006 325i through military sales in Belgium, returned to the States for a year and am now (unexpectedly) I'm being sent back to Europe - Germany. Long story short . . . can't sell the car here due to accident and repairs (excellent job by Sun Motors in Harrisburg PA) without losing my shorts and wondering if I could take it with me to Germany, convert to GE specs and sell on economy and maybe break even or even come out a little ahead?

Anyone know what's required to convert this year model E90 to German TUV Specs? Any ideas on total cost to convert or how to go about it?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the answers
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
e60lover
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio, X5 4.8i

Well I am seriously not sure...but decided to post what I know anyway. lol.

-Tail lamps: The euro lamps have amber turn signals

- I am pretty sure the amber reflector in the heaplamps would be able to stay.

-I am guessing that some engine reprogrmaing is required...not sure though as I know the 325i model exists in Germany..

- Rear Fog Light

-Storage compartment by drivers left knee.

again I am really not sure. Wait for a E90 expert to help.

-Good Luck though...

Last edited by e60lover; 07-18-2007 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
calle_enell
Car keeps stalling out...5 times now.
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

The 325 in EU (including germany) has a 2,5liter engine for a start... (not the same 3,0l as the U.S. 325/328)

Check if the engine is "type-registred" in the E.U. -If it is, it should be little to no problem to import the car to Germany.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

there are other differences, the above are really less important. If you think that the "looks" of German (tail lights, etc. will sell it as German, I doubt it. Bu there are other things, including ECU. I am not sure how would you register the car with that VIN as German? Emission stuff is also different, I believe, but we may be ahead in that game...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 12:43 AM   #5
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base
Rep
Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?

I dont think it's going to be an easy fix. It's going to be a lot more than just making it look like the German model.

If it's anything like trying to register a JDM car in the US, it's damn near impossible. Since the car was made in Germany, you might have an easier time, but there's still going to be lots of hoops to jump through. It's also going to be registered as an imported car, so anyone looking to purchase it will have that information. Warranty issues are going to be something to consider as well. You would also need to find out if USDM BMW's crash standards are valid in Germany.

Contact the German equivelant of the DMV, that's probly your best bet for a starting point.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:12 AM   #6
LyriCeZ
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 TS 325i

Being stationed here in Germany myself I can tell you it is possible to easily convert the car to German Spec. However, it is crazy expensive.

I too wanted to trade in my car when I got here. When I took my "accident free" 03 Honda Civic to a German dealer I was told it was possible to trade it in but it would cost an additional 2,000-3,000 Euro ($3400-$4800) from what I would get for trade-in to get the car converted to Euro spec and for it to get German Documentation.

Luckily for you the way BMWs are, unlike my Honda your car won't require rewiring to get the lights to function according to German law. But you would need at least a day of reprogramming. Parts wise, I don't know if you have halogen or xenon headlamps but I know non-adaptive xenons are 980 euros or so (around $1300), adaptive xenons are 1340 or so euros (around $1800). I believe halogens are around 300-400 euros ($400-550) coming from the dealer. I have been asking my dealer about upgrading my halogens so I know for sure. You may in fact be able to just leave your headlamps like they are and just get the reprogramming.

I don't know how much the euro tail lights are but you can get blacklines instead for around $200 on here or ebay, they meet both U.S. and Euro. spec requirements. Thats not including installation of both headlamps and the tail lamps, of course you could always do that yourself.

Also, I have been told if you don't trade your car in at a dealer that is authorized to sell to U.S. spec cars. You will pay an import tax. But you car should of been made in Germany?.. don't think BMW has a factory in the U.S. if I'm correct. So that shouldn't be a problem. That was told to me about my Honda by customs.

Then there is the German documentation your car will need. I don't know how much that is but I would say at least 1,000 euro ($1400)

And then we come to the last issue.. by German law dealers have to fully disclose the vehicle's history, I don't know if you would get in trouble if you don't tell whoever you are selling it to about the accidents. But if they don't care to ask, which I doubt would happen.... then maybe you don't have to say anything. They can take it as is. If you take it to a "military sales" dealer I know for sure they will carfax.com it lol.

Either way, I doubt you will make money in doing this or even break even. Keep in mind that BMWs are a dime a dozen here they are like Hondas to Germans.

2006 E90 325i
- ZPP, ZSP(partial shocks/springs), 162's 18", License Plate PDC, L.U.X 4.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:28 AM   #7
wooter
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Interlagos Blue

Does it have to be turned into German-spec?

I'm curious, because American cars which are not available in Europe are quite common on German autobahns because of American military personnel. They drive fine, even with US plates or even German US Military plates. Many of those cars feature amber front indicators which are on while driving, and red rear indicators which can combine rear light/indicator/brake light... I've seen US spec Ford Focus'es, Dodge Caravans (which are not sold in EU, only the Chrysler Voyager nametag is sold) and a few US spec trucks.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 08:48 AM   #8
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMIL325i View Post
Need some info / help / advice . . . I'm in the Army and purchased my 2006 325i through military sales in Belgium, returned to the States for a year and am now (unexpectedly) I'm being sent back to Europe - Germany. Long story short . . . can't sell the car here due to accident and repairs (excellent job by Sun Motors in Harrisburg PA) without losing my shorts and wondering if I could take it with me to Germany, convert to GE specs and sell on economy and maybe break even or even come out a little ahead?

Anyone know what's required to convert this year model E90 to German TUV Specs? Any ideas on total cost to convert or how to go about it?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the answers

Bring the car to Germany and sell it to another GI. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #9
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Here's whatcha do. I'm stationed in Germany and lots of soldiers make $15000 buy selling their US spec's to germans. Pay +/- $1000 and register it in the german system and then sell it. It really is that simple my friend.
      07-20-2007, 05:59 AM   #10
KMIL325i
Registered
Rep

[QUOTE=KMIL325i;1191157]

Thanks to all for your advice. I'm especially interested in ArmyBimmerDude's suggestion - simply registering the car in the German system -

Anyone have the details on how to do it and any special requirements associated with the act?

Thanks. . .
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 06:19 AM   #11
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert

Garage List
The taxes for a german to register a US spec car are REALLY high and since they can buy the car on the economy anyway,there is no motivation for them to buy a US Spec 325i (even if you spend the $$ to convert it). They will buy things like Silverado's, Tahoes, Surburbans, etc... because they aren't as easy to get on the economy, but BMW's are EVERYWHERE over here.

To do a full Euro spec conversion (if it is even possible with that engine) you will also need to put on Black lines or euro tail lights, and Euro head lights (beam pattern is different)

Oh, and the only reason you appear to be doing this is to avoid someone finding the CARFAX report about the car or something, if that is the case not cool.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #12
KMIL325i
Registered
Rep

Conversion

Mr. Crutch,

Thanks, for the info, and FYI you can't run from carfax, it's available world wide now. My thought was that if sale to an LN was a realistic option my breaking even or slightly ahead very well could mean a significant discount off what they might pay for similar euro spec bmw. I've got all the repair records and would offer for review prior to sale, just as I've done here.

vr,
KMIL
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #13
Safety2213
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i Manual M-Sport

Why not just keep the car? Doesn't the military ship it for you?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #14
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMIL325i View Post
Mr. Crutch,

Thanks, for the info, and FYI you can't run from carfax, it's available world wide now. My thought was that if sale to an LN was a realistic option my breaking even or slightly ahead very well could mean a significant discount off what they might pay for similar euro spec bmw. I've got all the repair records and would offer for review prior to sale, just as I've done here.

vr,
KMIL
Anyone can look up carfax for any car as long as they have the VIN, but carfax.com doesn't mention anything about cars overseas, and it doesn't have languages other than English. That implies that it is to track US (or maybe NA entirely) cars only (and carfax.de is an ad site) SO, that is why I said IF you are trying to get around that If you play it straight up then

BTW - for cars, there is a 10% import duty which the germans are probably required to pay to register the car on the economy (since they are BASICALLY importing it when they buy it from you, because otherwise that car falls under the SOFA)
Appreciate 0