E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Fellow Edmontonians, where would you take your E90 for a new windshield?

03-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Inzane
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335i

Fellow Edmontonians, where would you take your E90 for a new windshield?

Like the title says, I need a new windshield soon.

Where would you take your BMW for new glass in Edmonton?

(And please, DON'T say a place like Windshield Surgeons).

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
morphius909
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 Xi Special Edition-JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
Like the title says, I need a new windshield soon.

Where would you take your BMW for new glass in Edmonton?

(And please, DON'T say a place like Windshield Surgeons).

Thanks.
I asked the same thing and I was recommended Crystal Glass or Windshield Surgeons.

Any reason you wouldn't go to WS?

2011 335i X Drive Special Edition-Jerez Black
35% Tint All Around / 3M Rockguard / Weathertech/ PPK2 / 18&12mm Spacers/Lux H8 V3
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Rob.K
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 4.8i X5

What's wrong with Windshield Surgeons? A BMW shuttle driver told me that's where BMW sends their cars for windshield replacement.
That's where I had mine replaced and had no problems whatsoever
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
Inzane
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.K View Post
What's wrong with Windshield Surgeons? A BMW shuttle driver told me that's where BMW sends their cars for windshield replacement.
That's where I had mine replaced and had no problems whatsoever
Well, which location?

I absolutely cannot recommend the southside (50st & Argyll) location. They seriously botched the job on my wife's Altima a few years ago.

1) They severely scratched the a-pillar on both sides of the car, and denied it. They were deep scratches, at the exact same elevation on both sides, which I could not polish out. (I'm the only one that washes and details my wife's car and they definitely weren't there before the visit).
2) They damaged the trim piece that runs along the roof lengthwise on one side, which they later replaced. But both the undamaged side and the one they replaced were installed incorrectly including broken clips (they used tape to try and fix it!). After that second visit to fix the trim I was done with them.
3) The replacement windshield was in my opinion of questionable quality. When driving the car I could notice distortion in the glass when looking through the windshield off-angle across toward the passenger side of the car. This was never an issue with the OEM glass. But, it didn't seem to bother my wife so I never went through the hassle of going back to them yet AGAIN.

They will never touch one of my vehicles again. And I especially wouldn't take a BMW to them.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 02:29 AM   #5
Rob.K
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 4.8i X5

I don't blame you for not wanting to go there again after having all that happen to you.

I had mine changed at the 99street 35ave location. The shuttle drivers son worked there too and managed to save my rain detector so I wouldn't have to buy a new one. I would definitely take my car there again.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

I took my windshield to Apple Autoglass by Mayfield Common. Ihe think it was Bavaria or Edmonton BMW that outsources their cars there.

Anyway I bought the OEM glass from Bavaria BMW as well as all the required parts and had Bavaria BMW ship the glass to Apple Autoglass for free too. Paid Apple to do the install and it was all good.

Still running on the same replaced windshield today without any issues. It been 3 years now. (even survived the drive from Edmonton to Toronto during my move)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Inzane
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
I took my windshield to Apple Autoglass by Mayfield Common. Ihe think it was Bavaria or Edmonton BMW that outsources their cars there.

Anyway I bought the OEM glass from Bavaria BMW as well as all the required parts and had Bavaria BMW ship the glass to Apple Autoglass for free too. Paid Apple to do the install and it was all good.

Still running on the same replaced windshield today without any issues. It been 3 years now. (even survived the drive from Edmonton to Toronto during my move)
Interesting. Do you recall what the relative cost difference was between OEM glass and whatever the glass shop would have provided?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Do you recall what the relative cost difference was between OEM glass and whatever the glass shop would have provided?
I can't remember but I went OEM even though it seems way softer but the rain sensors are designed using the refractive index of the OEM glass. So there was a chance the rain sensors won't work with aftermarket glass.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Inzane
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

A friend of mine told me today that he got a quote from the dealership to replace the windshield on his 135i and it came back at around ~$2400!!!
(That's with BMW OEM glass flown in from Germany apparently)

For a frickin' windshield?!? That's ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
A friend of mine told me today that he got a quote from the dealership to replace the windshield on his 135i and it came back at around ~$2400!!!
(That's with BMW OEM glass flown in from Germany apparently)

For a frickin' windshield?!? That's ridiculous.
That can't be right! It's around $1300 from the dealership including labor.

Is it Edmonton BMW by any chance? Because to be honest, I haven't had a great experience with them. I actually took Greyhound to CALGARY to buy my car at Calgary BMW and drive it back to Edmonton. I know someone at the Calgary dealership so I got much better service there.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
cwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

just some real quick insight , i own a glass co. in oregon and have been in the business for 25 years . def do your research and even ask the manager or owner who is the best tech they have and have him work on your car. a messed up w/s install can ruin your car !!!!!! as for oem or aftermarket dont pay for oem not worth the price . but do get oem moldings a must imho .are rain sensors are basically plug n play should have no problem with that some have gel packs the shop should know if it needs to be replaced due to your spacific model.(sorry dont know any shops in your area) securit,pilkington,ppg all ok brands for your car
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
Inzane
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarren View Post
securit,pilkington,ppg all ok brands for your car
I assume that's the glass brands, not trim? (I recognize PPG) Do you have any comments/experience on which would be the best in terms of pitting resistance? (Is it a function of relative "softness" of the glass, or coating?)

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
///S55
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Sorry to thread jack, but more like thread borrowing :P
Join our new BMW Alberta facebook group !

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMW.alberta/