E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Lease Question-Buyout!

03-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 40i Msport

Lease Question-Buyout!

Hi
If someone wanted to buy out my lease before the lease ends, what is the process and fees?

I called couple dealerships, including the one which I leased my car from, and they mentioned I need a cheque in the amount of what is owing on the car, $795 admin fee, safety/inspections etc

Can I do the safety anywhere?
What is this $795 fee consist of?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

no fees required. deal with bmw canada directly. do you have a bmw owner's circle account? just sign in and you'll see your amortization schedule by month.

or, you can call them and ask for the exact balance due on a certain date. let them know when you plan to come over. they will give your name to reception.

- bring your bank draft to richmond hill HQ
- reception will check your amount due and issue you a temporary receipt (that's it. you're done!)
- the following day, you'll receive a fedex package (bill of sale and the other half of your registration, signed by them)
- go for safety inspection at bmw toronto. it's only $199.
- be sure to have RFT tires ON before heading for inspection. non-RFT = failed
- since your car is still "new", you are not required to do emissions test. just fill up the proper form at MTO

good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriver View Post
no fees required. deal with bmw canada directly. do you have a bmw owner's circle account? just sign in and you'll see your amortization schedule by month.

or, you can call them and ask for the exact balance due on a certain date. let them know when you plan to come over. they will give your name to reception.

- bring your bank draft to richmond hill HQ
- reception will check your amount due and issue you a temporary receipt (that's it. you're done!)
- the following day, you'll receive a fedex package (bill of sale and the other half of your registration, signed by them)
- go for safety inspection at bmw toronto. it's only $199.
- be sure to have RFT tires ON before heading for inspection. non-RFT = failed
- since your car is still "new", you are not required to do emissions test. just fill up the proper form at MTO

good luck
Thanks..

Ive been getting conflicting fee's ..ranging from $400 to $1800
I don't have bmw circles account but i do get fax buyout confirmation if I do call.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahead View Post
Thanks..

Ive been getting conflicting fee's ..ranging from $400 to $1800
I don't have bmw circles account but i do get fax buyout confirmation if I do call.
bmw dealerships asks for more money on top of $199 inspection fee, as their admin fee. for that admin fee, they'll ask their staff to courier your check to bmw canada in richmond hill and that's it... easy $400 for them.

the rest of the process, you'll still do on your own.

bmw dealers will help you with the paperwork for new or cpo sales for obvious reasons. i still have to hear of a lease-buyout where the dealer took care of all paperwork from cheque payment to having it registered to customer's name.

maybe others can chime in with their experiences...

Last edited by CanadianDriver; 03-14-2012 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
SG07
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

I bought back my car last year. Dealership asked for the same admin fee but I called BMW Financial and dealt with them direct. Like others have said, you basically send them a cheque and they will send you the ownership and a letter confirming you are buying back the car. There's no fee for this at all, just a phone call and stamps.

Afterwards, you'll need to get your emission and safety tested then go to a MTO office to finish the transfer process.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
d-burn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335i xDrive M-Sport

Does this same process work for a 3rd party buy-out at lease end? E.g. Someone here has their lease ending, and plans on returning the car, so instead lets me buy out the car at the residual lease end value instead of returning.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 323i

The way I see it is there's no easy way, am I right?

rather than keeping thing simple, I guess its not
is this a 2 step process?
first, you need to buy out the car from BMW
pay the balance
then BMW will release the ownership to you
after that, you can sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanchan View Post
The way I see it is there's no easy way, am I right?

rather than keeping thing simple, I guess its not
is this a 2 step process?
first, you need to buy out the car from BMW
pay the balance
then BMW will release the ownership to you
after that, you can sell the car.
Thats my understanding now...but my whole issue was if I went to BMW dealership, they want fee's ranging from $500 to $1500...But now I've found out if someone wants to buy-out my leased car, I can go to BMW office in Richmond Hill, Ontario and pay zero.

If someone wanted to assume my lease payments, their is still a transfer fee...not sure on that amount. But i'm pretty sure if you were gonna get another car, they might waive that fee.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
d-burn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335i xDrive M-Sport

Do you have to buy it and then sell it, because that incurs taxes, certification, etc. twice?

It's been suggested that you can follow the same process, but it's a third party doing it. E.g. the third party would cut the cheque to bmw and then the ownership would be released to their name.

Anyone done this?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-burn View Post
Do you have to buy it and then sell it, because that incurs taxes, certification, etc. twice?

It's been suggested that you can follow the same process, but it's a third party doing it. E.g. the third party would cut the cheque to bmw and then the ownership would be released to their name.

Anyone done this?

hmmm...i think your right..taxed twice..buyer and seller... gotta think about this one
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
hmmm...i think your right..taxed twice..buyer and seller... gotta think about this one
request bmw for a lease transfer first. ask bmw financial services how to initiate the process. my thinking is, you need to allow at least 2-3 months before lease-end
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep

I think have to get someone to take over lease, then that person can do his own buyout.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think have to get someone to take over lease, then that person can do his own buyout.
yup, esp. if you're transferring to a relative/friend. you can help them avoid being "double-taxed" by doing a lease transfer.

there is a fee of $250, IIRC
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #14
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriver View Post
yup, esp. if you're transferring to a relative/friend. you can help them avoid being "double-taxed" by doing a lease transfer.

there is a fee of $250, IIRC
Can I do the lease buyout at BMW Headoffice also? Dealer wants over 1g for lease transfer

What is the $250 for?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 04:59 AM   #15
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Can I do the lease buyout at BMW Headoffice also? Dealer wants over 1g for lease transfer

What is the $250 for?
- yes. give bmwfs a call and ask what to bring / prepare before going to bmw hq
- their processing fee for lease transfers
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #16
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 323i

I guess I am facing the same situation here too
I am interested in taking over someone else CRZ lease....
the tax issue kind of uncertain at this point.
323i, Arctic metallic , Cream beige leatherette interior , Titanium matt trim , Premium , Auto , 18" style 189 sport wheels , 335i bumper + kidney grills, CF pillars, Chrome window trim package , LCI halogen.
Appreciate 0