E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > schizophrenic lights when unlocking car - E93

02-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Question schizophrenic lights when unlocking car - E93

Sometimes when I unlock the car the lights flash and the headlights and taillights come on. (The interior lights and light under the door handle always come on too.) Other times when I unlock the car the lights flash but the headlights and taillights stay dark.

Any ideas?

Also, I was just reading the book, what position do you all keep your lights in, during day driving and at night?

0 - "Lamps off and daytime running lamps"
1 - "Parking lamps and daytime running lamps"
2 - Low-beam headlamps and welcome lamps"
3 - Automatic headlamp control, daytime running lamps, welcome lamps and Adaptive Head Light"

Does it have to do with those positions?

Thanks!
      02-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

if your car is unlocked previously, you will only see the interior lights, but if it is locked and you unlock, I think all should come on....afaik
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
sd390r
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
i know what u mean lol i pressed unlock on an x6 in the showroom at BMW and all the dash lights started going crazy & shit

i just walked away, no idea haha definitely not an option
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
I can't figure it out. It's almost 11pm here and here I am out in the driveway repeatedly locking and unlocking my car. I tried turning the light knobs to different positions and nothing changed....I know it's such a little thing, but since today is my first ACTUAL day of ownership (after the longest wait on earth) I am being super anal nit-picking over every little thing. I'm just glad I had a 323 coupe before this so SOME things are similar, otherwise I'd be so lost.

Anyone else? Thanks so much@
      02-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

If you have the light dial set to the auto position (#3 from your original post), then the headlights and taillights will come on when you unlock the car.

If you have the light dial set to the off position (#0 from your original post), then the headlights and taillights will stay dark when you unlock the car.

In both cases, the lights still flash. Just mind which position you leave the dial when you turn off the car. Personally, I have my dial in the off position for most of the day, because I feel that sometimes the auto position will turn the headlights on too early for my taste. As soon as the sun is fully set... it's auto all the way. Hope this helps
      02-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

If you keep unlocking the car(3 times to be exact) the lights will not turn on after that.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Do you have welcome lights set in the idrive? Are you using the remote, or CA?

Congrats on your new blue baby by the way..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
Sometimes when I unlock the car the lights flash and the headlights and taillights come on. (The interior lights and light under the door handle always come on too.) Other times when I unlock the car the lights flash but the headlights and taillights stay dark.

Any ideas?
I seem to remember that if you unlock your car while it's dark (if you're light switch position is in 3), your car will turn on its headlights along with the interior lights and parking lights. If you unlock your car while it's bright out, then the headlights don't turn on but the rest of the lights to. Then again, I didn't really make a point to pay too much attention to things, so I might be all off.
      02-01-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisE92 View Post
If you have the light dial set to the auto position (#3 from your original post), then the headlights and taillights will come on when you unlock the car.

If you have the light dial set to the off position (#0 from your original post), then the headlights and taillights will stay dark when you unlock the car.

In both cases, the lights still flash. Just mind which position you leave the dial when you turn off the car. Personally, I have my dial in the off position for most of the day, because I feel that sometimes the auto position will turn the headlights on too early for my taste. As soon as the sun is fully set... it's auto all the way. Hope this helps

I have my dial in the off position (what is the number it corresponds to of what I wrote above?) for most of the day, because I feel that sometimes the auto position will turn the headlights on too early for my taste. As soon as the sun is fully set... it's auto (what is the number it corresponds to of what I wrote above?)all the way. Thanks again for helping me out.
      02-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HermesRider View Post
Do you have welcome lights set in the idrive? Are you using the remote, or CA?

Congrats on your new blue baby by the way..
Hi

I don't have iDrive, I do have CA but was using the FOB when this was happening.

Thank you! I love her and she loves me. We make a nice couple!
      02-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #11
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
Rep

I always keep mine in 3 - Automatic mode. You can adjust the sensitivity I believe, so it doesn't come on when you go under a bridge every time. If I keep it in 3-automatic mode, I always have the welcome lights come on when I unlock it, except a couple times in the morning when it was really really cold!

I'm glad you love your new car... does she have a name yet? lol
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 11:28 PM   #12
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
I seem to remember that if you unlock your car while it's dark (if you're light switch position is in 3), your car will turn on its headlights along with the interior lights and parking lights. If you unlock your car while it's bright out, then the headlights don't turn on but the rest of the lights to. Then again, I didn't really make a point to pay too much attention to things, so I might be all off.
That was rumored in the forum before, but untrue. Should come on day or night.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #13
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
I always keep mine in 3 - Automatic mode. You can adjust the sensitivity I believe, so it doesn't come on when you go under a bridge every time. If I keep it in 3-automatic mode, I always have the welcome lights come on when I unlock it, except a couple times in the morning when it was really really cold!

I'm glad you love your new car... does she have a name yet? lol
So if you keep it in 3 then you don't need to do anything when it gets dark out? The lights automatically turn on? So just keep it in 3 all the time and I won't have to worry about anything, right? Or do I need to turn it to another position when it's dark out. How confusing can turning a car light on and off be, wtf???
      02-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #14
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So if you keep it in 3 then you don't need to do anything when it gets dark out? The lights automatically turn on? So just keep it in 3 all the time and I won't have to worry about anything, right? Or do I need to turn it to another position when it's dark out. How confusing can turning a car light on and off be, wtf???
Correct, that is the easiest. Set it to auto and forget it. The only time I've ever switched it was when I parked the car at work and wanted to put the parking lights on, but then switched back to auto afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 11:48 PM   #15
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Quote:

Keep it in 3 all day and you will be fine. 3 is the auto position, which you would get to by turning the dial counter clockwise until it can't turn any further. 1 click to the right from the auto position is the off position (0 in your post). Another click over is to turn on only the parking lights (orange corners), but not the xenons (1 in your post). And finally, one last click to the right from that will set your xenons to be on all the time (2 in your post).

Auto is your best bet!
      02-01-2009, 11:50 PM   #16
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisE92 View Post
Keep it in 3 all day and you will be fine. 3 is the auto position, which you would get to by turning the dial counter clockwise until it can't turn any further. 1 click to the right from the auto position is the off position (0 in your post). Another click over is to turn on only the parking lights (orange corners), but not the xenons (1 in your post). And finally, one last click to the right from that will set your xenons to be on all the time (2 in your post).

Auto is your best bet!
THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCHLY!
      02-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #17
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
Rep

If it is too light to see the headlights, you'll still know when the auto engages the lights because your instrument cluster lights will come on (sometimes hard to see), and the green LED next to the light switch will come on.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 12:47 AM   #18
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
That was rumored in the forum before, but untrue. Should come on day or night.
Doh, never mind then.
      02-02-2009, 12:50 AM   #19
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

OP - hope you got it all figured out now, p.s. congrats! <3 E93
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #20
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
I think I do! Thanks so much, I love this forum!
      03-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #21
bbdamon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6

are u guys talking about the angel lights? or the actual HID D1S light??

thank you!!
Appreciate 0