BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-11-2022, 05:56 AM   #1
Bimma30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30i

Does JB+ or JB4 void warranty?

As what the title says, does anyone know if installing a JB+ or a JB4 to my vehicle void the warranty? Even if I remove it before the service appointments.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 06:56 AM   #2
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

It will if the checks BMW do look at gearbox torque / boost pressure. Not that reported to the DME but the actual torque or boost.

My understanding is that when plugged in the software looks to see what has been recorded elsewhere than the Main DME, such as airbag ECU and gearbox.

There are many places that this data can be recorded. Fasta data which was to help improve reliability by recording data to be examined for warranty claims … to see what was causing stuff to fail is now used to see if an owner has altered the car.

The car would not routinely be plugged in (Uk at least as I asked my dealer) but in the event of a warranty item that is expensive I guess they would. My dealer said they only plug in asked to by BMW.

I have some knowledge of what can be seen from my old job which involved having vehicles examined after fatal collisions … and they can tell an awful lot … if they want to look. The emphasis there is ‘if’ they want to look.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 07:45 AM   #3
Must_Go_FASTER
formerly rdougherty85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp MBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimma30 View Post
As what the title says, does anyone know if installing a JB+ or a JB4 to my vehicle void the warranty? Even if I remove it before the service appointments.
Just do it....

Just kidding (but I'm not...).

Sorry, just think of me as the devil on your shoulder lol. I just installed the JB4 yesterday on my M40i and it's totally worth it to me. I have a MY21 so no true tuning options, unless I'm willing to ship my ECU to Russia... so no options. I'm not willing to wait years for the warranty to expire, just so I can enjoy my vehicle even more.

If your dealer finds it, chances are your warranty is toast. Maybe if you have a really cool service department, they won't report it. But if you do have a warranty claim and BMW wants the logs, it'll show that the engine is working outside of stock parameters.

It all comes down to personal preference on how much risk you're willing to assume. Chances are in your favor that your engine will be perfectly fine, but if you tend to be nervous or anxious about such things, then wait until your warranty is up. Even if you wait until your warranty is up, your engine can still blow at 1 mile over and you're on the hook.

If you do end up wanting to order one, I will say that their shipping is VERY fast. The fit and finish is top notch, very heavy duty aluminum shell to protect the chip and the wiring/connectors look OEM quality. Their installation instructions are super easy to follow and installation is extremely easy. The most difficult connection is the wastegate connection, which is between the air box and the engine (which you don't have to hook up). Getting through the firewall is a breeze, you don't even have to unhook the panel underneath the steering wheel either. It amazes me that people actually complain about the extra step it takes to do that with the JB4 vs the Racechip.

If I were you, I'd spring for the Bluetooth option so you can adjust with your smartphone. Their app is pretty good and it shows you real time readings, with the ability to change the MAP on-the-fly. The app does cost $27 USD, which they don't mention on the product page, but when you're already $650-700 deep...

You could always pay a bit extra for a Racechip that is inferior to the JB4, but does include up to $10,000 in engine warranty coverage.

Best of luck to you on your decision.

You know what to do....
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 08:10 AM   #4
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO8 View Post
It will if the checks BMW do look at gearbox torque / boost pressure. Not that reported to the DME but the actual torque or boost.

My understanding is that when plugged in the software looks to see what has been recorded elsewhere than the Main DME, such as airbag ECU and gearbox.

There are many places that this data can be recorded. Fasta data which was to help improve reliability by recording data to be examined for warranty claims … to see what was causing stuff to fail is now used to see if an owner has altered the car.

The car would not routinely be plugged in (Uk at least as I asked my dealer) but in the event of a warranty item that is expensive I guess they would. My dealer said they only plug in asked to by BMW.

I have some knowledge of what can be seen from my old job which involved having vehicles examined after fatal collisions … and they can tell an awful lot … if they want to look. The emphasis there is 'if' they want to look.
^^This.

I guess the only thing is, BMW would have the devil's own job of proving these are caused by an external source, I.e. a tuning box.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 10:48 AM   #5
MR645
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, Cadillac ATS-V,

The JB+ or JB4 does not void your warranty.

However if there is a failure or a part that could be attributed to the aftermarket device, that warranty claim could well be denied. Meaning if a power window regulator failed, JB4 does not matter, but if there is a failure of the rear axle that could be do to added power from a modification, that repair likely will be denied.

Then comes simply removing the device and that makes it more difficult for a dealer to determine it has been installed.
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2022, 11:04 AM   #6
Bristle Hound
In The Dog House ...
Rep
Drives: MY23 BMW X5 xDrive30d M Sp

Garage List
See -

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28567109
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 12:24 PM   #7
Rikardo_We
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimma30 View Post
I'm an attorney and I used to do a lot of Song-Beverly lemon law cases against BMWNA. I am not sure about the everyday service visits, but if the repair is significant enough to where they need to open up a PUMA case with BMW or bring in a regional tech you are indeed totally cooked.
      04-15-2024, 02:56 PM   #8
Blueevo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 xdrive 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Must_Go_FASTER View Post
Just do it....

Just kidding (but I'm not...).

Sorry, just think of me as the devil on your shoulder lol. I just installed the JB4 yesterday on my M40i and it's totally worth it to me. I have a MY21 so no true tuning options, unless I'm willing to ship my ECU to Russia... so no options. I'm not willing to wait years for the warranty to expire, just so I can enjoy my vehicle even more.

If your dealer finds it, chances are your warranty is toast. Maybe if you have a really cool service department, they won't report it. But if you do have a warranty claim and BMW wants the logs, it'll show that the engine is working outside of stock parameters.

It all comes down to personal preference on how much risk you're willing to assume. Chances are in your favor that your engine will be perfectly fine, but if you tend to be nervous or anxious about such things, then wait until your warranty is up. Even if you wait until your warranty is up, your engine can still blow at 1 mile over and you're on the hook.

If you do end up wanting to order one, I will say that their shipping is VERY fast. The fit and finish is top notch, very heavy duty aluminum shell to protect the chip and the wiring/connectors look OEM quality. Their installation instructions are super easy to follow and installation is extremely easy. The most difficult connection is the wastegate connection, which is between the air box and the engine (which you don't have to hook up). Getting through the firewall is a breeze, you don't even have to unhook the panel underneath the steering wheel either. It amazes me that people actually complain about the extra step it takes to do that with the JB4 vs the Racechip.

If I were you, I'd spring for the Bluetooth option so you can adjust with your smartphone. Their app is pretty good and it shows you real time readings, with the ability to change the MAP on-the-fly. The app does cost $27 USD, which they don't mention on the product page, but when you're already $650-700 deep...

You could always pay a bit extra for a Racechip that is inferior to the JB4, but does include up to $10,000 in engine warranty coverage.

Best of luck to you on your decision.

You know what to do....
Where did you feed the cables through. I'm having a difficult time here. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 03:10 PM   #9
Must_Go_FASTER
formerly rdougherty85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp MBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueevo View Post
Where did you feed the cables through. I'm having a difficult time here. Thanks
Should be able to pop out part of that plastic plug and feed the wire that connects to the JB4 through it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-16-2024, 06:27 AM   #10
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

When you've been in the tuning world long enough, whether it's a piggy back or not, you learn that you always stand the chance of having warranty coverage denied. You try to mitigate your exposure during service visits but there's always a chance.
Appreciate 0