BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-11-2021, 11:36 PM   #1
You
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Comp

Cargo Management Systems

Anyone have any cleaver solutions to securing items in the back?

I'd usually use bungee cords, but the hooks available are worthless. I bought a bar to try and pinch against the sides of the trunk (see picture), but the trunk liner is too flimsy to push against.

I have the spare tire so there are no rails to attach to, was hoping there was a system I could buy that would keep items from sliding around.

I tried to search the forum, but no luck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 12:22 AM   #2
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

Just use these since you have that trunk mat. They work well and you can get away with just 1 or 2 most of the time.

https://www.weathertech.com/cargotech/
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 02:49 PM   #3
roadkillrob
Major General
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Was just going to ask the same question, the moron at BMW that designed the spare tire raise floor should be fired, shit just falls out all the time when I open the back door. Coming form an X5 with the split tailgate which is better, but even the x3 I had back in 2013 was better as without the raise floor, the floor is just a bit lower than the opening. The BMW mat has about a 1" lip which may be better than the weathertech one but still not enough. I was thinking of exactly what you did with a bar across the back, so guess I won't try that. Was also thinking a cargo net, something like this https://www.amazon.com/CARTMAN-Hammo...cont06-20&th=1
It could attach to the lower cargo tie downs and then mount the buttons on the side, at least keeps stuff in, other though was a couple of the collapsable bins BMW sells that stick down and don't move but fold flat when you don't need the. It seems BMW has decided since it is an M car you can't possibly need to put stuff in the back and since it is an M car it flies around way more since you can drive it way harder.
Also nice that they delete the cargo track when you get the spare to make it so you can do just a 5 corner mounted floor cargo net.
Appreciate 1
X3mcesq57.00
      12-12-2021, 08:08 PM   #4
You
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohw View Post
Just use these since you have that trunk mat. They work well and you can get away with just 1 or 2 most of the time.

https://www.weathertech.com/cargotech/
I've seen this product, but assumed it wasn't going to hold anything. After looking up some reviews I think I'm going to order a set. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 08:14 PM   #5
You
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Coming form an X5 with the split tailgate which is better, but even the x3 I had back in 2013 was better as without the raise floor, the floor is just a bit lower than the opening.
I wish the X3 has a split tailgate, I miss that from the X5.

I didn't realize how much trunk space the spare tire takes up. Sure it's only a few inches high, but because of the slope of the rear seats it takes a big chunk of useable space out. It would be nice if BMW came up with a better way to store the tire and still keep the rails, I miss them as well.
Appreciate 0