BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-19-2020, 08:06 PM   #1
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Is Simoniz Glasscoat a good ceramic coating?

It is a polysiloxane base coating and is a permanent bond. I'm considering it. Being sold at one dealer that doesn't contract it out for $995. I don't understand why a ceramic coating is so expensive when it doesn't take long to put it on.
Another dealer offered Protect All which has the same base property.
What are some other brands that people are using?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 02:16 PM   #2
GS - X3
Best of Both Worlds
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3 M40i - ‘19 R1250GSA

I had Glasscoat applied to my previous Audi allroad, given that it was the first black car I had ever owned. I just traded it on my X3. Upon reflection I would say that it’s a good choice for someone that doesn’t obsess over appearance. It definitely offers more protection than an unprotected surface. It does not prevent stone chips or swirl marks.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 02:43 PM   #3
OHV_44
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G60 520i

Look here —> https://www.carbibles.com/best-ceram...ting-for-cars/

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #4
Broose
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Can't say for Glasscoat. Dealer here just did Cilajet on my wife's new Acura. List price is about the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 03:49 PM   #5
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for he replies. Just read through carbibles.com and it had some great info. I don't understand why it costs so much to have it done professionally since it doesn't take that long and the cost of the materials is relatively inexpensive. I think I would do it myself but it's the wrong time of the year to be doing it up here in the northeast and I hope to have my X3 in a month.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 05:58 PM   #6
Mojobaggins
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
Thanks for he replies. Just read through carbibles.com and it had some great info. I don't understand why it costs so much to have it done professionally since it doesn't take that long and the cost of the materials is relatively inexpensive. I think I would do it myself but it's the wrong time of the year to be doing it up here in the northeast and I hope to have my X3 in a month.
I had Ceramic Pro Gold put on my new X3 M40i for $1.4k by Unique Car Care. Even with my new vehicle, they did paint correction beforehand, had them also put on PPF on complete front, lowers and rear bumper(this cost $3k) then with the Gold package, they placed five coats of Ceramic Pro which is guaranteed for life. I'd shop around, you'll find better outside of the dealer.

Last edited by Mojobaggins; 11-21-2020 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
OHV_441812.50
      11-21-2020, 01:16 AM   #7
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

No.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 12:44 PM   #8
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojobaggins View Post
I had Ceramic Pro Gold put on my new X3 M40i for $1.4k by Unique Car Care. Even with my new vehicle, they did paint correction beforehand, had them also put on PPF on complete front, lowers and rear bumper(this cost $3k) then with the Gold package, they placed five coats of Ceramic Pro which is guaranteed for life. I'd shop around, you'll find better outside of the dealer.

A local body shop that does ceramic pro coating told me the gold package was $2500....over the phone....I hung up. Do you have a history with Unique Car care...is that why you chose them? I see that there are quite a few installers around eastern Mass area.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #9
OHV_44
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G60 520i

Did you look here? Maybe that fits your area?
https://www.onthespotma.com/ceramic-coatings/

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #10
Mojobaggins
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A local body shop that does ceramic pro coating told me the gold package was $2500....over the phone....I hung up. Do you have a history with Unique Car care...is that why you chose them? I see that there are quite a few installers around eastern Mass area.
https://uccboston.com/unique-car-car...ique-car-care/

UCC's Gold Package standard price is $1,795

My brother has had a few of his cars wrapped and ceramic coated so, Pete may have given me a better deal. But when I brought the car to him and we discussed all of the options, I got the impression that the discount on the Ceramic Pro was due to the amount of PPF wrapping I had done.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 06:10 PM   #11
GmanJeff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M, 2016 X5

I have Gyeon Q2 Duraflex ceramic paint protection from the A pillar back and Stek hydrophobic PPF on the entire front of the vehicle to the A pillar as well as along the entire lower running board area between the axles.

Costs can be high for professionally applied products for several reasons. A pro typically will prep the paint in ways the average DIY'er may not - wash, decontamination, and paint correction, often using tools and chemicals many home users do not have, and using better techniques. The ceramic coating itself is often one which is only available through pro detailers and which is unavailable to end-users. The coating sold by pro detailers usually has a much longer warranty in terms of how long it will remain hydrophobic than consumer-applied products. Professionally applied ceramic coatings usually require more than one coat and specialized techniques for application. Many pro detailers apply different specialized ceramics to wheels and brake calipers as part of the process.

Generally speaking, more expensive vehicles, including exotics, are treated by pros rather than by owners since the cost represents a smaller percentage of the vehicle purchase price.
Appreciate 1
Rottweiler3969.50
      11-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #12
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHV_44 View Post
Did you look here? Maybe that fits your area?
https://www.onthespotma.com/ceramic-coatings/
Thanks but too far to go for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #13
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
https://uccboston.com/unique-car-car...ique-car-care/

UCC's Gold Package standard price is $1,795

My brother has had a few of his cars wrapped and ceramic coated so, Pete may have given me a better deal. But when I brought the car to him and we discussed all of the options, I got the impression that the discount on the Ceramic Pro was due to the amount of PPF wrapping I had done.
Just watching that video of the application process gives me a better idea of the costs involved as Gman was saying. I'll have to think twice about this. My X3 is going to be my daily driver and in the mountains all winter and the chances of scratches or dings can be high not to mention the fact that I will only be able to take it to a car wash or possibly a detailer and not be able to hand wash. On one hand I like the fact that I never have to wax again and the shine is beautiful but at the same time it might not be the best investment given my pursuits.

Last edited by cadman50; 11-23-2020 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: added line
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 06:53 AM   #14
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

You can still hand wash. Washing is much easier on a coated car. Swirls are greatly reduced but scratches can still occur.

7 years and going strong on our X3
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #15
Mojobaggins
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just watching that video of the application process gives me a better idea of the costs involved as Gman was saying. I'll have to think twice about this. My X3 is going to be my daily driver and in the mountains all winter and the chances of scratches or dings can be high not to mention the fact that I will only be able to take it to a car wash or possibly a detailer and not be able to hand wash. On one hand I like the fact that I never have to wax again and the shine is beautiful but at the same time it might not be the best investment given my pursuits.
If you're worried about scratches and dings, you might want to look into ppf.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #16
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you're worried about scratches and dings, you might want to look into ppf.
I'll be at ski areas and parking is where ever you can find it so adults and kids walk by your vehicle carrying ski's, boots, poles and bags. I try to find spots where that doesn't happen and have been pretty good at it but it's inevitable. I've had people park so close to me that I literally couldn't get in my drivers door!! So the scratches and dings I'm talking about would happen on the sides and I don't want to wrap them. I really like the concept of no waxing and easy washing but at the same time I don't want to invest big $$ just to have the finish possibly damaged and having to redo the areas. I've got a few more days to think about about it. I just found out my X3 is scheduled to be done tonite! Yahoo! So maybe I get it in a week or less.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 09:44 AM   #17
GmanJeff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M, 2016 X5

Since you seem confident that the car will inevitably get some dings and scratches when parked, and because ceramic won't protect against that at all, a much less expensive approach to making the paint hydrophobic so it will resist dirt and be easier to wash would be to apply one of the newer spray waxes every few months. Very inexpensive compared to a more permanent coating and easy to apply after washing the car.
This is one example: https://www.turtlewax.com/products/i...ay-wax-16fl-oz

You can hand wash your car yourself inside a garage during Winter months using a product like this: https://www.detailedimage.com/Optimu...-P444/32oz-S1/
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #18
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
I'll be at ski areas and parking is where ever you can find it so adults and kids walk by your vehicle carrying ski's, boots, poles and bags. I try to find spots where that doesn't happen and have been pretty good at it but it's inevitable. I've had people park so close to me that I literally couldn't get in my drivers door!! So the scratches and dings I'm talking about would happen on the sides and I don't want to wrap them. I really like the concept of no waxing and easy washing but at the same time I don't want to invest big $$ just to have the finish possibly damaged and having to redo the areas. I've got a few more days to think about about it. I just found out my X3 is scheduled to be done tonite! Yahoo! So maybe I get it in a week or less.
It doesn't make sense to get a ceramic coating if you're going to be taking your car to a car wash, and it's going to be scratched and dinged while you're doing your usual activities. I like the way the ceramic coating looks on my car, but it's a lot of work to maintain and despite my best efforts it still gets scratches. I'm not getting a coating on my next vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #19
Lt720
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 & 2021 X3 m40i

Have you thought about a DIY ceramic coating?

I too am daily driving this car and felt like PPF/Professional Ceramic Coating wasn't worth the cost. Maybe if it were a collectable car.

I decided to go with a DIY method mostly to help make the wash process easier. Ended up using Carpro Cquartz UK 3.0; total cost was about $100 and a day's worth of work. Very easy to apply but you need some good lighting to make sure you wipe off all the excess. I ended up having to polish a few high spots off and reapplied. Plus side to DIY is that the kit had enough to also do the wheels/brake calipers, which shops charge extra for.

It's been great so far - went on a 3k mile road trip and the dirt/sand/bugs washed off like nothing. Will let you know in 5 years how it holds up to time

Another plus on top of easy washing is how great the car looks when clean - you can easily tell when a car is ceramic coated. The depth of the paint is just that much deeper on my metallic gray color.

https://www.carpro-us.com/protection...-3-0-30ml-kit/

Tip: buy extra towels! one is not enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 06:07 PM   #20
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanJeff View Post
Since you seem confident that the car will inevitably get some dings and scratches when parked, and because ceramic won't protect against that at all, a much less expensive approach to making the paint hydrophobic so it will resist dirt and be easier to wash would be to apply one of the newer spray waxes every few months. Very inexpensive compared to a more permanent coating and easy to apply after washing the car.
This is one example: https://www.turtlewax.com/products/i...ay-wax-16fl-oz

You can hand wash your car yourself inside a garage during Winter months using a product like this: https://www.detailedimage.com/Optimu...-P444/32oz-S1/
I'm confident that it MAY happen but I do my best to make it not happen. It's a tough situation. People don't scratch your car intentionally but when your carrying a bunch of stuff, especially kids, they don't consider a car a work of art. That's why I try to alleviate the risk. But it's no possible all the time. I should be getting my X3 in a week or so (just came off the assembly line!!) and as much as I want to get the car ceramic coated, I think I've come to the realization that a good wax job is the way to go. Maybe a front end clear bra though but have never done it before and my front end is holding out pretty good without. I used to Zaino twice a year but it's a lot of work. I think I've found a good detailer with a good wax and will go that route. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 06:15 PM   #21
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt720 View Post
Have you thought about a DIY ceramic coating?

I too am daily driving this car and felt like PPF/Professional Ceramic Coating wasn't worth the cost. Maybe if it were a collectable car.

I decided to go with a DIY method mostly to help make the wash process easier. Ended up using Carpro Cquartz UK 3.0; total cost was about $100 and a day's worth of work. Very easy to apply but you need some good lighting to make sure you wipe off all the excess. I ended up having to polish a few high spots off and reapplied. Plus side to DIY is that the kit had enough to also do the wheels/brake calipers, which shops charge extra for.

It's been great so far - went on a 3k mile road trip and the dirt/sand/bugs washed off like nothing. Will let you know in 5 years how it holds up to time

Another plus on top of easy washing is how great the car looks when clean - you can easily tell when a car is ceramic coated. The depth of the paint is just that much deeper on my metallic gray color.

https://www.carpro-us.com/protection...-3-0-30ml-kit/

Tip: buy extra towels! one is not enough.
Thanks for the tip. I'll look in to that. But like I was saying, up here in the northeast, it'll be too cold to wash outside soon and a day of washing, drying, applying coating and buffing is ok for the summer but no so much now. But interesting that you mentioned Carpro...that's the wax that the dealer uses for detailing which I wasn't going to use them. Instead I was going to a detailer who uses Collinite Marque. I think it's similar to Zymol. I'll look into this Carpro stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 05:24 PM   #22
Navypilot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i

You really need to understand if it’s a true ceramic coating of just a spray. A real ceramic coating, the dealer will keep the car 3-6 days. Wash, clay, alcohol, polish, Ceramic application. Average life 6 years. Cost-$1,500-$1,900.00
Appreciate 0