BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-22-2020, 12:22 AM   #1
Mojobaggins
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

First time BMW owner, picked up a 2021 X3 M40i

Hi All,

Order placed on 9/28. Production Queue on 9/30. Finished Assembly and Dispatched 10/14. Delivery 10/21 noon and I picked it up at 3pm. Bought 7yr/75k mile warranty and had them throw in the all weather mats.

Specs:
Glacier Silver
Cognac Leather
Carbon Fiber Trim
20" M Double-spoke bi-color wheels
Adaptive M Suspension
Executive Package
Fr/Rd Heated Seats
Wireless Charging
H/K Audio

Next Steps:
Changing out tires to Continental DW06
Install spare tire following - https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1620456
Install cargo liner for dogs - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZZDGZVB
Complete front and hood wrapped in PPF, maybe doors too
Ceramic coated - gold package, lifetime warranty
Install mudflaps - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Splash-Guar...s/401871783409
Install Rear Bumper Guard - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B077XLYFG5/

First Impressions - Coming from a Volvo XC60 R-Design
Finish is great and love the Cognac leather
Steering wheel is smaller than the XC60 and felt a little numb turning with it
Smaller sideview mirrors and smaller rear hatch glass will take some time to get used to.
Thought it might be difficult to setup but once I connected Android Auto, it seemed like everything updated. Date/Time updated. Waze was available.-
Adaptive suspension - very noticeable difference between the modes. In comfort mode, it was definitely a softer ride than my XC60.
All weather mats stink and I'll be going thru the Mat thread to find something better.
Wireless charging is weak as it barely kept my phone at the same battery level
Happy to see USB-C ports

Update - Swapped out the tires to All Season Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 and retrofitted the spare under the floor.

Installed a liner for the cargo area for the dogs.

Had it Unique Car Care since Tuesday to get it wrapped in ppf and ceramic coated. Finally got to pick it up. Looks great and no more waxing.

Last edited by Mojobaggins; 10-31-2020 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 6
Rbrown2765.50
OHV_441812.50
GOLFFRR10815.50
chicagofan0019143.00
shoptb176.00
      10-22-2020, 07:43 AM   #2
g_lev
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Very nice! Similar to my spec, but for the color.

I agree the wireless charger is kinda weak. I would probably have left it off had I known
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 07:59 AM   #3
MrSo0h0o
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Volvo XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojobaggins View Post
Hi All,

Order placed on 9/28. Production Queue on 9/30. Finished Assembly and Dispatched 10/14. Delivery 10/21 noon and I picked it up at 3pm. Bought 7yr/75k mile warranty and had them throw in the all weather mats.

Specs:
Glacier Silver
Cognac Leather
Carbon Fiber Trim
Adaptive M Suspension
Executive Package
Fr/Rd Heated Seats
Wireless Charging
H/K Audio

Next Steps:
Install spare tire following - https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1620456

Smaller sideview mirrors and smaller rear hatch glass will take some time to get used to.
Thought it might be difficult to setup but once I connected Android Auto, it seemed like everything updated. Date/Time updated. Waze was available.-
Adaptive suspension - very noticeable difference between the modes. In comfort mode, it was definitely a softer ride than my XC60.
All weather mats stink and I'll be going thru the Mat thread to find something better.
Happy to see USB-C ports
I am currently in a XC60 Momentum and considering making the switch to the M40i..

What are your thoughts on seat comfort so far compared to the XC60's?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:19 AM   #4
Score04
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 BMW X3 M40i

Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:05 AM   #5
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

super nice specs, looks great in that color combo. congrats OP you picked a great vehicle, enjoy!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2020, 08:39 PM   #6
Mojobaggins
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSo0h0o View Post
I am currently in a XC60 Momentum and considering making the switch to the M40i..

I hope they break in but I'd say that the Volvo seats are better in comfort and fit. I also think the leather is better also. The X3 does have more adjustments and I have to play around with them more. But the seats are comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:40 PM   #7
Mojobaggins
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
super nice specs, looks great in that color combo. congrats OP you picked a great vehicle, enjoy!
Thanks! It's definitely a big upgrade from my XC60. Loving so far!
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10815.50
      10-22-2020, 11:18 PM   #8
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Nice! I don't see this color often.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2020, 01:37 PM   #9
Mojobaggins
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Swapped out the tires to All Season Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 and retrofitted the spare under the floor

Installed a liner in the back to keep it clean from the dogs

Last edited by Mojobaggins; 10-31-2020 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 01:40 PM   #10
Mojobaggins
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Had it Unique Car Care since Tuesday to get it wrapped in ppf and ceramic coated. Finally got to pick it up. Looks great and no more waxing.

Appreciate 2
kscarrol8907.50
chicagofan0019143.00
      10-31-2020, 02:49 PM   #11
msg617
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSo0h0o View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

Specs:
Glacier Silver
Cognac Leather
Carbon Fiber Trim
Adaptive M Suspension
Executive Package
Fr/Rd Heated Seats
Wireless Charging
H/K Audio

Next Steps:

Happy to see USB-C ports

Comparing my X3 to my XC90 and XC60, Volvo has a significant edge in seat comfort and interior quality/finish. Love how my X3 drives, but for $60k wish BMW would offer better interior finishes and the M sport seats. BMW wants us to buy an X5 for that, but an X5 isn't the car I want.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #12
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:

Can you please confirm 48v in 2021 x3 m40i pls? Just out of curiosity. How's the start/stop? As smooth as the 440i?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #13
jihong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

Few big downgrades from Volvo

Currently have an xc40 and helped a family member get their 2021 x3. Few things I noticed that I would really miss about my volvo if I converted to the x3 (which I was considering).

1. Surround view - the 3D surround view on the volvo is superb. Because of the vertical screen orientation, you get a really close and clear view of what's around you when you are using surround view. Really helpful when parallel parking in the city. The BMW is not as useful. The screen is tiny compared to the volvo, and there are blacked out edges around the car that don't give you as close of a view.

2. Remote start. I use the volvo app to start my volvo from far away to pre-heat in the winter and pre-cool in the summer. Makes a HUGE difference and is really handy. The BMW x3 does NOT have this feature. Doesn't matter if it's 2021 and it doesn't matter what packages you have on it. They don't install the remote start option on x3's. It also doesn't matter what country/region you're in.

3. Self driving. The BMW x3 doesn't have the active driving assistance that keeps you in lane and a certain distance from the car in front of you. It's basically self/automated driving. You set it, take your hands of the wheel and foot off the pedals and it'll just drive by itself on the highway (need driver input every once in a while). Available in the volvo, but not in the bmw. It's not even an option.

4. Heated steering wheel. Super weak in the BMW. Maybe it's faulty and I need to get it checked. But the Volvo heats up fast and it gets hot. Great for winter weather.

5. Can't turn off auto start/stop in normal comfort mode. You can disable this in the volvo, but it's permanent on the x3 unless you code it. So you have to hit the on/off switch for the start/stop every time you start the car.

If you don't live in an area with various climates, these might not be big issues. But in NYC/northeast, the remote start and heated steering wheel can be really handy.

I also didn't like how they just didn't include so many options on the x3. Even with the executive package and all the options ticked, they leave out so many things that are available on other models. In addition to the things mentioned above, they don't have the backup assistance option for the x3 either (the option that remembers how you parked and reverses the exact same path out for you). It's really handy when parking in tight garages or spaces.

You can fully spec your BMW x3, and so many options won't be available for you. The quality of the car feels better than the Volvo, but the standard and available options on the Volvos are better and easier to use.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 10:05 AM   #14
msg617
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jihong View Post
Currently have an xc40 and helped a family member get their 2021 x3. Few things I noticed that I would really miss about my volvo if I converted to the x3 (which I was considering).

1. Surround view - the 3D surround view on the volvo is superb. Because of the vertical screen orientation, you get a really close and clear view of what's around you when you are using surround view. Really helpful when parallel parking in the city. The BMW is not as useful. The screen is tiny compared to the volvo, and there are blacked out edges around the car that don't give you as close of a view.

2. Remote start. I use the volvo app to start my volvo from far away to pre-heat in the winter and pre-cool in the summer. Makes a HUGE difference and is really handy. The BMW x3 does NOT have this feature. Doesn't matter if it's 2021 and it doesn't matter what packages you have on it. They don't install the remote start option on x3's. It also doesn't matter what country/region you're in.

3. Self driving. The BMW x3 doesn't have the active driving assistance that keeps you in lane and a certain distance from the car in front of you. It's basically self/automated driving. You set it, take your hands of the wheel and foot off the pedals and it'll just drive by itself on the highway (need driver input every once in a while). Available in the volvo, but not in the bmw. It's not even an option.

4. Heated steering wheel. Super weak in the BMW. Maybe it's faulty and I need to get it checked. But the Volvo heats up fast and it gets hot. Great for winter weather.

5. Can't turn off auto start/stop in normal comfort mode. You can disable this in the volvo, but it's permanent on the x3 unless you code it. So you have to hit the on/off switch for the start/stop every time you start the car.

If you don't live in an area with various climates, these might not be big issues. But in NYC/northeast, the remote start and heated steering wheel can be really handy.

I also didn't like how they just didn't include so many options on the x3. Even with the executive package and all the options ticked, they leave out so many things that are available on other models. In addition to the things mentioned above, they don't have the backup assistance option for the x3 either (the option that remembers how you parked and reverses the exact same path out for you). It's really handy when parking in tight garages or spaces.

You can fully spec your BMW x3, and so many options won't be available for you. The quality of the car feels better than the Volvo, but the standard and available options on the Volvos are better and easier to use.
I find the heated steering wheel on the X3 quite capable. One advantage in the BMW compared to the Volvo is you configure the heating to turn on automatically below a certain temp threshold. I don't notice a difference compared to my Volvo for steering wheel heat.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 11:08 AM   #15
aashishamber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The self driving option is there with active deiving assistant plus option .
2021 X3 M40i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Cognac Vernasca Leather with contrast stitching | Driving Assistance Professional Package | Executive Package | Adaptive M Suspension | M Sport Brakes with Red Calipers | Wireless Charging | HK Sound | 20" M Double-spoke bi-color wheels, style 699M with performance run-flat tires |
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #16
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Really nice looking X3! I waffled back and forth between white and silver, and went with white...but wish I would chose silver as we've had •a lot• of white BMW's. The Cognac and glacier silver is especially nice

I ditched the runflats right away too. Our cars are equipped almost the same - I don't have wireless charging but added acoustic glass.

How do you think the Cerium grills and mirror caps work with the silver?
      11-01-2020, 01:47 PM   #17
g_lev
Private
Rep

Quote:

I do wish this was an option. However even without it you can remote start the ventilation from your phone a few minutes before you plan to leave. It helps.

Quote:
Mine hs this feature and it works perfectly. Not sure where you are getting your information from, but the driver assistance package works great for automated highway driving, including automated stop/go in traffic.

Quote:
Mine works just fine. Gets plenty warm.

Quote:
Granted, you have to code it to do this, but that's trivial. That said, it's not really intrusive...

Quote:

Now I may be incorrect here as I have yet to try it on mine, but I thought the X3 indeed DID have this feature
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #18
msg617
Private
Rep

Yeah, remote start on a cold morning is an irritating omission. Product management 101: differentiate to move people up to the higher priced X5
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #19
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Doesn't the driver's manual say that to avoid warming up by leaving it on idle, and to drive away moderately to get up to temps? I wouldn't ever expect them to have remote start as long as they continue to say that.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 04:42 PM   #20
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Subscribed.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #21
Nathanmlee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i (ordered)

Highly recommend the 3D Maxpider all-weather mats, fit well and have a decent lip - keeps my car clean from mud and snow and easy to take out and rinse down
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2020, 12:13 PM   #22
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

OP, nice choice on the Glacier Silver! I wanted (and bought) a Phytonic Blue M40i.

It's beautiful when clean, but in retrospect, I've have chosen a lighter color such as yours.

I had issues with my wireless charger, but based on threads here, I asked my dealer to replace it, and now it charges fine. I wonder if the OEM versions are inherently weaker?
Appreciate 1