E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HELP! All check control, check oil levels, ect is gone!

09-10-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
alexbray42
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

HELP! All check control, check oil levels, ect is gone!

The arm out of my steering wheel on my 06 325i just stopped working for the check control/oil levels and all that. Just doesn't respond at all when i try clicking it/moving it around. I think its a computer error but im not quite sure what computer its connected to.

Last edited by alexbray42; 09-10-2020 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:20 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

The Instrument Cluster (KOMBI Module) is the Module to check for Fault Codes if you have INPA/ISTA or some other Software or Scan Tool which can read fault in ALL ~ 20 Modules (Computers) of your 325i.

Here is the TIS wiring diagram for your model, showing the KOMBI Instrument Cluster as "A2a", and the Steering Column Switch Cluster (A72) with Turn Signal Stalk Switch (with B/C buttons) as "S7".
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...luster/jPWkjxB

If the turn signals, High Beam & Flash all work, and everything else associated with Steering Column Switch Cluster (Wiper, Cruise Control, etc.) works, I would focus on the Blue/White wire between X1880/11 and X11175/16, and those two connectors. Click on any BLUE Component ID# for More Info on that component, such as Installation Location or Connector View.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 09:20 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'll not go against George's advice, because he's pretty much always correct. However, what I find unusual is the slider switch and the toggle switch on the turn signal stalk just just stopped functioning, but the stalk still operates the directional signals? No intermittent failure?

Checking the wires inside the steering column is the correct approach, but one has to wonder why a wire would just break. Physics suggests that there has to be some force applied to the wire for the wire to break, and I can't understand what force would be inside the steering column to break a wire. What I would understand is the switch mechanism breaking in the turn signal stalk housing, since force is applied to those components.

BMW sells the turn signal stalk for just over $100 IIRC. And you can get a used turn signal stalk from auto recyclers for a decent price. They are easy to install. Remove the steering column covers and pop the stalk out of its connector on the column.

I hope you get it resolved.
Appreciate 0