BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-29-2020, 11:34 AM   #23
BeyondVision
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M; Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerthBMW View Post
Very good job.

Are you able to briefly describe how you did it from the step after removing the grills? I've bought some stuff to put on but not 100% sure of best process. is it as simple as cutting a 2 inch wide strip and placing it on? Did you clean the strut first etc?

Thanks...
Thanks! 2" width is not enough. At first I just eye balled a cut and underestimated the width. Need at least 3.5 (i think i cut 3.75) like @spta97 mentioned to get a full wrap around the bar. Again, your cut doesn't need to be that precise and the most important part is to start in the center of the v brace and work yourself outside around to avoid bubbles.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 12:51 PM   #24
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondVision View Post
Thanks man! Your color ways looks great too. Don't think you can go wrong with both of these shades of blue. I had contemplated about white, but was afraid it would show dirt or bug splatter too easily.

Pretty much followed the same steps that you said, although I didn't worry too much about perfectly wrapping behind the bar because you can't see it. I started as close to the top of the v brace first (around the flat edge) and worked my way down to press the vinyl in the center of the vbrace, then proceeded to wrap around one side and then the other to ensure no bubbles.

Overall it took me like 30 min. I hate removing the grill because of the amount of pressure you need to apply to the 3 clips at the top.
I agree on the white - it would be hard to keep clean.

The back of mine didn't turn out as well. I'm hoping that won't be an issue but I guess I will find out in time.

Removing the top 3 clips was the easy part for me. It was trying to get the side clips not to break when removing - I was 1/1 for that
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:01 PM   #25
MarinoB
Captain
Croatia
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3

OP thank you for posting the Amazon link! Ordered, now hopefully the delivery won't be delayed like most things I've ordered recently.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #26
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinoB View Post
OP thank you for posting the Amazon link! Ordered, now hopefully the delivery won't be delayed like most things I've ordered recently.

Prime now seems slower than other services lol.

I'm just glad to be healthy and be able to own an X3MC!

Please post pics when done!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12909.00
      05-30-2020, 05:59 AM   #27
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Very good job.

Are you able to briefly describe how you did it from the step after removing the grills? I've bought some stuff to put on but not 100% sure of best process. is it as simple as cutting a 2 inch wide strip and placing it on? Did you clean the strut first etc?

Thanks...
Thanks! 2" width is not enough. At first I just eye balled a cut and underestimated the width. Need at least 3.5 (i think i cut 3.75) like @spta97 mentioned to get a full wrap around the bar. Again, your cut doesn't need to be that precise and the most important part is to start in the center of the v brace and work yourself outside around to avoid bubbles.
Quote:
Quote:
Very good job.

Thanks...
Thank you that was really helpful...appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 06:01 AM   #28
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIR_ View Post
I LOVE the way this looks. I want to do the blue badly. How difficult was it to take off the grille?
It's supposed to be easy, but mine was a PITA.

Here is the process:

The issue I had was the tabs on the side of the grill would not let go. I broke that clip on the passenger side, but was able to get a plastic pry tool in on the driver's side to release it. I epoxied the broken clip back on so good to go again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsmin View Post
Looking good. Miss that the empire state plate.
I refused to upgrade to the hidious mustard plates so I've been holding onto these for 15 years! They say a redesign was pending in April but I have not heard anything further. It didn't look great but better than the current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
interior is black, so......

caliper blue like yours is currently fave
Yes, wrapping in black would be silly Though, I did notice some scratches on mine likely from road debris. The blue I used is in my 1st post. Post back yours once you decide on a color and install!

Quote:
Very good job.

Thanks...
1) Clean with denatured alcohol (this is much better than rubbing alcohol which I learned contains some oil). It's a great grease/sticker remover as well and has proven safe on paint and carpet. You can get it in the paint isle at HD or Lowes.

2) Wash your hands - even though you cannot help touching the bar as you wrap it, it is a good idea to minimize dirt/oil.

3) Measure the length with a tape measure, then take a piece of paper and wrap it around to get the circumference and measure that by marking a slight (~1/4") overlap. I learned it is best to have the wrap overlap itself. I cut mine to 16 1/2" x 3 1/2".

4) I tried to just peal away the backing lengthwise in order not to expose more than I could work with. Because of the limited space, this didn't work out so well so I took off the entire backing. Make sure you don't let the vinyl grab onto anything.

5) Start in the middle of the wrap and front of the bar from the top to the bottom. I was only really concerned with what showed.

6) Once lined up, press down with your finger and push out any air bubbles from the center front middle to the back of the bar. Try to stick down only what is smooth and watch out for wrinkles.

7) Work the length small sections at a time then start again from the top and push further to the back. Repeat until it is all stuck down.

8) Now do the same starting from the front of the bar down back to the underside so it wraps around the back.

9) The ends of the bar are the hardest due to the shape and limited space. You may want to cut yours shorter as it will need to be pushed back past some of the car body on an angle.

That's what I did anyway. The vinyl is pretty forgiving (you can peel it back up) but can stretch or rip.

There are several vids on YouTube. Here's one where he took the bars off:

Quote:
Quote:
Very good job.

Thanks...
Excellent thanks heaps easy to follow instructions...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 06:05 AM   #29
MarinoB
Captain
Croatia
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Prime now seems slower than other services lol.

I'm just glad to be healthy and be able to own an X3MC!

Please post pics when done!
You hit the nail on the head with the color choice! Great match with the brakes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 07:24 AM   #30
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head with the color choice! Great match with the brakes.
Looks great! Glad I could help - I did a bit of research to find the color match but I'm very happy with it as well.

I'm debating on wrapping the braces in the engine compartment but want to install my sub and amp first.

I finally got pics of mine in the sun:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12909.00
      06-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #31
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

You did a nice job and the color match looks great! That's one of those small details that goes a long way
      06-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #32
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
You did a nice job and the color match looks great! That's one of those small details that goes a long way
Thanks! And not bad for <$20 and about an hour start to finish
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 08:29 AM   #33
P.Cullen
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M Sport Plus (G01)

Quote:
Looks great! Glad I could help - I did a bit of research to find the color match but I'm very happy with it as well.

I'm debating on wrapping the braces in the engine compartment but want to install my sub and amp first.

I finally got pics of mine in the sun:
Orange to match your seats would have looked awesome!

I am thinking of doing the same but stuck between going CF or picking a colour that would stand out. The Blue is the obvious choice to match the calipers, but i don't know if i would want something a little 'wilder' lol

I have the active grills so it would only be visible when driving which is a bit disappointing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #34
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Cullen View Post

I am thinking of doing the same but stuck between going CF or picking a colour that would stand out. The Blue is the obvious choice to match the calipers, but i don't know if i would want something a little 'wilder' lol

I have the active grills so it would only be visible when driving which is a bit disappointing.
My interior is actually the midrand beige (more of a yellow).

I had considered it, but thought it would be too flashy.

I heard the active grills are prone to issues and BMW extended the warranty as a result.

Do they really help getting the car to temp quicker?

In either case, please post back what you decide. Worst case the vinyl is pretty cheap so if you are not happy with your color you can easily change it.

Edit - Anything black or CF will hardly be noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 07:43 PM   #35
lambmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60; F25

Garage List
2016 Bmw X3  [0.00]
2010 Bmw 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Cullen View Post

What product did you buy to get this shadowline for the headlights?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 06:42 PM   #36
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Looks really good, nice work and color choice!
Previous: 2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 08:52 AM   #37
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambmw View Post
What product did you buy to get this shadowline for the headlights?
Looks like just regular window tint. And you can choose your darkness. Thats probably 5%.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 02:57 PM   #38
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
forever a sad and desperate lions fan
Had the opportunity to speak with Al Locasale of the Oakland Raiders about teams that never seem to make it to the Super Bowl. Detroit specifically, but in general, teams that never seem to get to that last-of-the-season game is primarily due to the team ownership. It's very, very expensive to the team to play in the Super Bowl and even to win it.

Detroit owners don't want that extra expense. No Super Bowl for the Lions until there's an owner that wants it.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0