BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-06-2020, 05:01 PM   #1
alexdm
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 m40i

Smile M40i Adaptive vs Standard Suspension

Firstly hello to everyone! I am moving over from babybmw as I am in the process of selling my m235i and replacing it with an X3 m40i!

Secondly an apology as I know this issue is discussed to death but despite searching I haven’t found much information on non-adaptive ride quality. So...

Essentially I have a slight concern with my order... Sadly here in the UK they have made the adaptive suspension part of a £2.7k package including run flats (which I don’t want), 21” alloys (which I don’t want due to tyre replacement costs and I prefer the 20” finish anyway), m sport seats (which I don’t like), m sport seat belts (which I also don’t like) and lumbar support (which I don’t need)!! Therefore my order does not include the adaptive which I currently do have on my m235...

Bearing in mind that I have found the reasonably firm adaptive setup perfectly fine on my m235i, the question is am I going to really miss the adaptive on the X3 m40i? I test drove the adaptive 21” RFT version which was epically confortable compared to the m235i and handled amazingly for a car of that size - but have ordered a non-adaptive 20” non-RFT version which I know will feel firmer, but I am hoping closes the comfort gap a little...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as would comments from anyone running the standard m sport suspension regarding ride quality!

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 09:32 PM   #2
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Get the adaptive suspension.

I have driven the M40i with and without adaptive suspension. Without the adaptive; you are stuck with a base Sport suspension which is fairly firm. With adaptive, you get a softer rid option as well as a firmer Sport Plus ride option. This difference in ride is very nice and really allows the M40i to change it's personality to match your driving mood. I love it.

Aside from the base change in feal; the adaptive suspension is constantly, dynamically changing around those targets of comfort, sport, sport-plus hundreds of times a seconds; so that when you hit a pot hole, or rough asphalt in a clover leaf, the suspension just eats it up and keeps wheels on the ground.

Sorry it comes part of a package.. get it and enjoy the other features in the package. ;-)
      01-06-2020, 11:00 PM   #3
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40D 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post

I have driven the M40i with and without adaptive suspension. Without the adaptive; you are stuck with a base Sport suspension which is fairly firm. With adaptive, you get a softer rid option as well as a firmer Sport Plus ride option. This difference in ride is very nice and really allows the M40i to change it's personality to match your driving mood. I love it.

Aside from the base change in feal; the adaptive suspension is constantly, dynamically changing around those targets of comfort, sport, sport-plus hundreds of times a seconds; so that when you hit a pot hole, or rough asphalt in a clover leaf, the suspension just eats it up and keeps wheels on the ground.

Sorry it comes part of a package.. get it and enjoy the other features in the package. ;-)
Are you sure the adaptive is firmer in sport plus vs the non-adaptive (standard m suspension in the m40i/d) ? I only think the adaptive gives you the "advantage" of changing damping on the fly and by this feels more comfy? I have been told the adaptive in most firm is equal to standard m suspension. I got an X4 M40d non-adaptive with 20" run flats and this is firm but not uncomfortable at all. Please correct me if wrong. Br Jens
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:03 PM   #4
Lenny_RDM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensM View Post
Quote:

Are you sure the adaptive is firmer in sport plus vs the non-adaptive (standard m suspension in the m40i/d) ? I only think the adaptive gives you the "advantage" of changing damping on the fly and by this feels more comfy? I have been told the adaptive in most firm is equal to standard m suspension. I got an X4 M40d non-adaptive with 20" run flats and this is firm but not uncomfortable at all. Please correct me if wrong. Br Jens
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:11 PM   #5
MrBigB
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i / 1991 MR2

Unfortunately when I bought the m40i they don't have adaptive suspension option in stock so I got the nonadaptive one. Feel the ride quality not as good as my 30 years old Toyota MR2 which is on coilovers, it's a bit bumpy when hitting speed bump, and the ride just to stiff for a family car lol. Performance wise it's really good, good support and less body roll. I didn't get a chance to test drive the one with adaptive suspension but just like the name said, it will balance the comfort and performance. So just get it if you can, best bang for your buck in this case I guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:25 PM   #6
vrships
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I can tell the standard suspension is just too firm for an SAV of this power and size. It feels it doesn't have any rebound damping at all.
I am OK with the ride quality, but worried how long can these dampers last given I have to go over 16 speed bumps twice in the garage almost everyday.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:31 PM   #7
Crypto2k3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 m40i

I recommend the adaptive. Was mixed at first when I got it but now that I'm familiar with the car I really like it. I can definitely notice the differences between 'modes'. Makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 12:11 AM   #8
alexdm
Private
Rep

Thanks guys. I don’t mind a firm ride - I’m coming from an m235i on adaptive which is pretty firm - I just want to be more comfortable than that really!

It’s such a shame that the other options are thrown in as I really don’t want any of them. The 21” replacement tyres are currently £290 for rears and £320 for fronts which is a bit ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:59 AM   #9
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

It's so hard to say without having driven the two suspension setups back to back. I down-spec'ed the M Sport Plus package to 20" non-RFT - this was possible a few months ago. I too prefer the look of the 20" and non-RFT removes that RFT noise when on coarsely covered UK roads. In the firmest setting the ride is pretty good, it's a little jiggly but not bad. Maybe this equates to the standard suspension but I really don't know. I prefer having the option to soften the suspension though with non-RFTs maybe this is less critical. Ideally get adaptive but I understand your dilemma.
      01-07-2020, 03:32 AM   #10
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Post #21 on this thread gives a good explanation of what Adaptive does...

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1474629

Last edited by Blacktemplar; 01-07-2020 at 03:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 04:13 AM   #11
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdm View Post
Firstly hello to everyone! I am moving over from babybmw as I am in the process of selling my m235i and replacing it with an X3 m40i!

Secondly an apology as I know this issue is discussed to death but despite searching I haven’t found much information on non-adaptive ride quality. So...

Essentially I have a slight concern with my order... Sadly here in the UK they have made the adaptive suspension part of a £2.7k package including run flats (which I don’t want), 21” alloys (which I don’t want due to tyre replacement costs and I prefer the 20” finish anyway), m sport seats (which I don’t like), m sport seat belts (which I also don’t like) and lumbar support (which I don’t need)!! Therefore my order does not include the adaptive which I currently do have on my m235...

Bearing in mind that I have found the reasonably firm adaptive setup perfectly fine on my m235i, the question is am I going to really miss the adaptive on the X3 m40i? I test drove the adaptive 21” RFT version which was epically confortable compared to the m235i and handled amazingly for a car of that size - but have ordered a non-adaptive 20” non-RFT version which I know will feel firmer, but I am hoping closes the comfort gap a little...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as would comments from anyone running the standard m sport suspension regarding ride quality!

Thanks!!
I have the 21"s and adaptive etc, but would have thought 20"s on Non RFT's will be fine to be honest.

I have driven a loan M40i on 20"'s but RFT's, and in that scenario, adaptive is needed/makes a difference. We did a 400 mile round trip and the wife connected that it was a harder ride than our 21"s with RFT.
      01-07-2020, 05:01 AM   #12
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

I test drive an M40i with std suspension, 20" wheels and run flats.
I bought an M40i with adaptive suspension, 21" wheels and run flats.

Is there a huge difference - no ! The std on 20's was softer but not by much, maybe 20% ?

Both options are almost the same IMO. I prefer 21's but ride wise I do not find adaptive worth it on the M40i.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #13
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

I haven't owned an X3 or X4 before, but I have owned 4 BMW SAVs. One with sport suspension and 3 with adaptive.

The way that I describe the X5 with sport suspension is a piece of plywood that rocks all over the bumpies. The x5 and two X6s with adaptive set in sport mode is almost like a piece of plywood, but whose wheels/axels are absorbing the bumpies (hoverboard, but way less extreme?)

I loved the sport suspension in my first X5, but it could be jarring at times, especially for passengers. I really, really loved the adaptive in all the cars that followed it.

When I went over RR tracks with my first X5, if my bowling bag (>30 lbs) was in the back, at normal speed, it seemed like they would almost hit the roof; I had to slow down. With the rest, they weren't bothered hardly at all, so I didn't slow down anymore. (And this would be one of the reasons why I don't have 21" wheels ).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 09:49 AM   #14
alexdm
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the advice guys. I also posted the same question on BabyBMW and the consensus between both forums seems to be that although the adaptive will allow a slightly comfier ride in comfort, the non-adaptive combined with the 20" non-runflat tyres I have specified should be fine. (The 21" runflat option pretty much everyone agrees requires adaptive!)

I was just afraid I might be about to part with a large amount of money and be horribly disappointed... I get all sorts of complaints (well, essentially my mother-in-law lol) about how uncomfortable the ride is in my adaptive suspensioned m235i in the rear - which I have to agree with. Having rear passengers seems to destroy the suspension properties in that car! I'm sure the new X3 will ride better than that at least!

All that said, I will always prefer a firmer ride for better handling than a nasty wallowy bouncy (but comfortable) ride anyway. I usually have my m235i adaptive set to sport for that very reason
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 10:07 AM   #15
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

I bought a car off the lot with standard (non adapative) suspension. I specifically chose a car with 20” wheels as I wanted more tire choices, and living in a mountainous area had the dealer swap the stock summer rft’s for all season Continental DWS06 non rfts’.

I personally find this combination yields very good ride quality. I would want it any softer. Handling is great for an SUV of this mass. The change from stock summer rft’s to non rft’s made a huge difference in ride quality.

My wife just got a new Audi Q5, also on 20” non rft all seasons, and the difference in handling between our two cars is dramatic. The Audi does ride a tad softer but with significantly more body roll. My car hits a perfect sweet soft between ride quality and handling.
Appreciate 1
sj300d9.00
      01-07-2020, 11:32 AM   #16
Gritty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

I drove both and preferred the adaptive suspension. That said it comes with a cost. Regarding the X4 I believe the adaptive suspension also includes the M Sport differential.

If given the option I too would have opted with the 20's vs 21's, although I am surprised with the ride quality of this car on 21's vs my first run flat car in 2011.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 12:32 PM   #17
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
I drive the Adaptive every day. 2 loaner M40i’s driving back to back with my Adaptive have let me to feel that the Adaptive “Sport” level is about where the non-adaptive sits. Definitely not as firm as Sport Plus, but much more firm that Comfort.

Just based on my personal experience.
      01-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #18
alexdm
Private
Rep

If it sits near the adaptive sport than that’s good by me. I drove most of my test drive in that mode and thought it was great!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 10:47 PM   #19
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40D 2019

Quote:
Quote:
I drive the Adaptive every day. 2 loaner M40i’s driving back to back with my Adaptive have let me to feel that the Adaptive “Sport” level is about where the non-adaptive sits. Definitely not as firm as Sport Plus, but much more firm that Comfort.

Just based on my personal experience.
I'm actually not sure there is a dampening difference between sport and sport plus - unless we talk the real M. Pretty sure the mperformance only got two damping Settings: comfort and sport. The adaptive then automatically adjust between those two means there actually is many different feelings as it moves between those two "outer" points. The sport plus only relate to engine, gearbox and turning off all the nanny safety features. This is how my BMW guy have told me and he is pretty knowledgeable as he is a real petrol head- also my take away reading various articles. Any with same understanding? Br Jens
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 04:04 AM   #20
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm actually not sure there is a dampening difference between sport and sport plus - unless we talk the real M. Pretty sure the mperformance only got two damping Settings: comfort and sport. The adaptive then automatically adjust between those two means there actually is many different feelings as it moves between those two "outer" points. The sport plus only relate to engine, gearbox and turning off all the nanny safety features. This is how my BMW guy have told me and he is pretty knowledgeable as he is a real petrol head- also my take away reading various articles. Any with same understanding? Br Jens
I don't believe there is any suspension difference between Sport and Sport Plus either. We are however human! What can happen is that the car feels different due to Sport Plus giving an even more responsive engine an gearbox. We feel more in tune with the car, we drive it faster too so overall it feels more taut. My wife has an Audi TT; when I switched her gearbox into Sport a few days ago she asked me to switch it back as the car felt "bumpier". Our TT does not have variable dampers...
JensM63.50
      01-08-2020, 09:09 AM   #21
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

I bought my X3M40i off the dealer lot at end of year and didnt have any say because it was a great deal. I also own an E46 330i with sport pkg and Z4M coupe. This car with standard suspension rides beautifully! It does have the !9" bridgestone runflats square setup- perfect for the godawful roads and deporable potholes here in Toronto, Canada. All in all pleasantly surprised.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:39 AM   #22
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 M40i

Can you get the adaptive suspension as a stand alone option? At $700 it's truly a no -brainer.
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 0