E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Pioneer AVIC-F500BT in a BMW E92

07-16-2008, 05:51 AM   #1
rightnow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335d 2010 - Imola Red

Pioneer AVIC-F500BT in a BMW E92

Hello guys!

I was wondering if anyone had any idea if this works on an E92 with Radio Professional and HIFI Professional?

http://www.pioneer.se/se/products/10...0BT/index.html

The idea = The F500BT has a cable, which you connect your DIN-cable in (standard stereo cable i think)... And then you connect the pioneer-cable into your original stereo in your car.

Then the navigation "hooks" into the system, so you get sound and everything from the navi in the cars speakers.

Ive talked with Pioneer, but they dont know if it works, especially not with HIFI Professional, cause "it has alot of boxes everywhere in the car".

Anyone has any clue?

// Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 03:24 AM   #2
rightnow
Private First Class
Rep

Comeon! I know you know!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 01:33 AM   #3
boomkizzle
United_States
Rep
Drives: x7 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow View Post
Hello guys!

I was wondering if anyone had any idea if this works on an E92 with Radio Professional and HIFI Professional?

The idea = The F500BT has a cable, which you connect your DIN-cable in (standard stereo cable i think)... And then you connect the pioneer-cable into your original stereo in your car.

Then the navigation "hooks" into the system, so you get sound and everything from the navi in the cars speakers.

Ive talked with Pioneer, but they dont know if it works, especially not with HIFI Professional, cause "it has alot of boxes everywhere in the car".

Anyone has any clue?

// Chris

Have you heard anything on this? I would love to have this installed in my e92 as well. Please keep me updated....thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
my friend has this unit in his F350 Superduty and it is sooo sick
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I would get a double din fascia and put the 900 in...

http://www.naviokun.com/text/techniq...mw_e90_01.html
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 01:06 AM   #6
boomkizzle
United_States
Rep
Drives: x7 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
do you know of anyone who has purchased the double din kit? have been looking all over the place for this.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 03:20 AM   #7
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

This guy has...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37847

Maybe he could helop ordering one??
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 11:42 PM   #8
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Manual

I am actually looking at doing this sometime soon (the 500bt). I thought about this and I did not want to take out the HU but wanted NAV and Ipod control and the option to hook to a hard drive. This is almost the same cost as getting the OEM ipod integration cost wise but I get nav and the ability use a harddrive (if I want) and I can hook it up to a back up camera.

Anyone install this yet?

Pics?
      12-29-2008, 12:59 AM   #9
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Okay, so this unit is nice and is a better, cheaper alternative IMO than many of the other solutions people have been using to get Nav, Ipod control or USB control (and it comes with bluetooth if you didn't get the luxury package).

I put it in because I wanted to have my entire library on an external hardrive. I didn't want to do a retrofit that would cost me $800 (qoute from dealer) just to be able to control my music. As an alternative, I looked at various Ipod controls, but none of them 'did it' for me. This unit gives you Nav, Ipod control, USB control, Access to an SD Card and Bluetooth, rearview camera etc.

I opted to run it into my Aux plug in as I wanted to retain my existing blue tooth and did not want to use Pioneer's amp.

I did this over the weekend. A bit of a PITA but came out pretty good. Here is what you do for a Non-L7 car:

1. Remove the center console trim, the vent on top of the dash, the panel below the glovebox, the panel in back of the glovebox the, dash trim and the climate control panel.

2. Feed the control wire through to below the center console from the top of the dash, but route the power wire into the glovebox. Route the USB cable (and Ipod cable if you have one) into the glovebox.

3. Tap the center (green/yellow wire on the ashtray lighter for the center console (by the shift knob). Run the wire for this to the glovebox. This is your ignition wire for hot and turns on the unit when you turn on the ignition. DO NOT USE THE GLOVEBOX (flashlight power plug) POWER! If you do this you will have to manually turn off the the unit everytime you get out of the car, and if you open a door, the trunk etc. to get something out you will have to turn it off again, otherwise it stays on for a couple of hours.

4. Tap the negative (brown) of the ashtray lighter and run this wire to the glovebox.

5. Take the flashlight-to-accessory power thingy (bmw part) and cut the wire. Strip it back to the black and white wires. Take the positive from the ashtray power and wire it to the white wire. Take the negative and connect it to the black. You now have power to the unit. The unit requires that you use the DC cig adapter it came with or you void the warranty. I tried to hard wire it anyway and it did not work, so had to wire it back up that way. The side of BMW adapter to wire is the female side so that you can use the male of the cig adapter of the unit

6. Pull off the ebrake trim. In the back of the ebrake lever is the ebrake wire. Solder (it's hard to get to) the ebrake wire for the unit to this wire. The nav unit will not work without this, so don't bother skipping it. It may be possible to bypass this by putting it with an accessory hot wire, but I didn't try it and am not sure if it would work.

7. Now you need a constant hot for the unit. I used a fuse tap to the homelink fuse in the fusebox. This seems to work. Search and you can find a pic in the forum. Take this and run the line to the yellow wire of the unit (which is down by the center console now. I ran this through the back of the glove box, and in through the center console. You now have the constant hot.

8. Now run the preout 3.5mm plug through the bottom of the center storage compartment and plug it into the Aux plug.

9. I am not putting in a rear view camera so didn't bother with the reverse signal wire. The amp wire is not needed either.

10. Now you can take a grommet from home depot and cut out a hole in the top vent and pull the wires through the top of the dash. The grommet gives it a clean look.

Now hook up the system and you should be good to go.

Note: This is how I did it. I am sure tons of people could do it better, but all in all I like it.

A couple of other things to know. Ground loop noise will be present, get a ground loop isolator. It's not that bad, but more than I can handle. The power output on the unit is a MAX of .5 of a volt. That's really low, so you may want to get a good DC CMOY amp.

I know have this hooked up to my 160gb Passport and it works awesome. All my music (45gb) at my fingertips.

I'll post pics soon.
      12-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Oops. Looks like the draw for the harddrive is to much and I blew a fuse...

I think this may need to be limited to only portable mp3 players and stick drives...
      02-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
rightnow
Private First Class
Rep

Is it possible to use the Pioneers amp somehow with an adapter? Or should i go for the AUX installation? I am buying the E92 with the logic 7 system, i hope it works.
Appreciate 0