BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #1
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30d M Sport

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Cleaning Vernasca Leather

I don't see any existing thread specifically for cleaning Vernasca leather, so hoping that with it being new and all the new owners, we can work out some answers.

I'm seeing nothing but contradictory info on forums AND from calling a few car cleaning/detailing suppliers.

Some say avoid any products with oils, some say that's critical and talk it up.
Some say BMW Leathers other than Merino are Polyurethane coated so can't be conditioned.

Etc.

I'm assuming there is no single answer as all cars are different products and factory treatments.

I'm after a clean, non slippy and most importantly, matte finish just like when they were new. Steering wheel too, although perhaps it's a different leather so needs different product.

I tried a Meguires Gold cleaner and it's greasy and I can see it even after days have passed and I buffed plenty with a cotton towel.

For specifically for BMW Vernasca, what's the forum using? What's your logic?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 05:40 AM   #2
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30d M Sport

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Replying to myself this time - but was from lots of input in another AU forum that was active through the day.

I have been and bought two products that are specifically for Polyurethane treated leather which a few members seemed to know includes the BMW Verncasa. One has been using on an Oyster interior G01 for 2 months and says he's been very happy.

http://www.bowdensown.com.au/leather-care-pack

This includes a Cleaner and a seperate Protecter.

Using the cleaner on the areas that I tested the Meguirars, it returned it to feel just like the rest of the car - removed the greasy feel. Applying the Protector didn't change the feel or look - just a nice feeling matte. Excellent!

Cleaning an actual stain (blood, one of the kids had a cut leg....) that I couldn't remove with water seems to have worked 99% - I thought it was gone but then later found a small trace up close with iPhone torch light. I'm assuming it will come out on a second attempt and nearly invisible as is anyway.

Assuming that I haven't just applied Snake Water (Snake Oil didn't seem right), it seems I've found my products. The only other one the shop said SHOULD be suitable is the Autoglym range but I went with the Bowdens because they specifically state that they are for PU treated leather and explicitly NOT for natural leather, whereas AutoGlym was saying for all car leather. I'm not sure it's possible to be correct for both types based on my last few days reading.

Not sure this product is available outside of AU, but wanted to report back in case it helps anyone else.
Appreciate 4
Max Well4733.00
titomi926.00
Boosh9932.50
Ogar670.00
      11-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i 2018 & X128i 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxa View Post
Replying to myself this time - but was from lots of input in another AU forum that was active through the day.

I have been and bought two products that are specifically for Polyurethane treated leather which a few members seemed to know includes the BMW Verncasa. One has been using on an Oyster interior G01 for 2 months and says he's been very happy.

http://www.bowdensown.com.au/leather-care-pack

This includes a Cleaner and a seperate Protecter.

Using the cleaner on the areas that I tested the Meguirars, it returned it to feel just like the rest of the car - removed the greasy feel. Applying the Protector didn't change the feel or look - just a nice feeling matte. Excellent!

Cleaning an actual stain (blood, one of the kids had a cut leg....) that I couldn't remove with water seems to have worked 99% - I thought it was gone but then later found a small trace up close with iPhone torch light. I'm assuming it will come out on a second attempt and nearly invisible as is anyway.

Assuming that I haven't just applied Snake Water (Snake Oil didn't seem right), it seems I've found my products. The only other one the shop said SHOULD be suitable is the Autoglym range but I went with the Bowdens because they specifically state that they are for PU treated leather and explicitly NOT for natural leather, whereas AutoGlym was saying for all car leather. I'm not sure it's possible to be correct for both types based on my last few days reading.

Not sure this product is available outside of AU, but wanted to report back in case it helps anyone else.
Ha to Bump this. Any Products available to the US market? These aren't available locally but had the same questions after I discovered a spill from the toddler.

Last edited by freitz; 11-30-2018 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Use least aggressive method first. This leather is coated so you don't really need special strong cleaners or conditioners. A plain water dampened MF towel should clean most things. If stain persists try a very dilute all purpose cleaner or interior cleaner. A good OTC product is Meguiars Quik Interior cleaner. It's mostly dilute vinegar with scents to mask it. I like Sonax Leather Foam because it's easy to apply and doesn't spray all over the place and leaves a nice matte finish. Don't scrub hard or use products like Magic Eraser unless you know what you're doing. They are abrasive and will wear the coating.
Used the BMW leather cleaner and conditioner no effect really. Imagines show the interesting mark. Not sure if something spilled or what is going on. Conditioner improved the feel but still raised area. Very Strange.

Area is slightly raised.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

This might be easier to see the raised edge.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #6
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Probably just a natural hide defect
Looks like a scar if that makes sense. I contacted the dealer. I wonder if it has been there the entire time and I just noticed when moving the toddler seat back into the other side.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #7
HollyM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - on order!

Members,

I've used Lexol Cleaner on my Black Vernasca to spot clean an area. Lather up, rinse with clear water, and towel dry. No residue, no sheen.

Being a horse person with a lot of leather experience...we swear by Lexol Cleaner and Lexol Conditioner. No fragrance, no resulting sheen.

I detest this cheap-looking, VERY thin Vernasca leather, compared to the thick Dakota leather that was in my X5. This will wear out in time, I know, and I was planning on keeping my M40i for a long time. Longer than what I suspect this Vernasca will last...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 05:10 PM   #8
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

I have to say, the Vernasca initially feels fairly soft but this is the PU coating. My thoughts on it now are that it’s cheap and nasty. I’ve said it before, if there had been a Black Merino option I would have had it. Now wishing I’d gone with one of the other Merino options, just to avoid the vernasca stuff! At least it’s black and not that noticeable, so I’ll just have to to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 05:22 PM   #9
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Some good information on leather care here https://www.leatherworldtech.com/Lea...cts-s/1831.htm.

As I recall from reading about auto leather a few years ago, virtually all leather used in cars with the exception of VERY high end vehicles is 'coated'; so when one cleans or treats/conditions the leather one is actually working on that coating surface.

Leather Masters products in my experience are excellent.
Good Luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 05:49 PM   #10
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

As far as I’m aware there is no merino leather option. At least not when I got mine.

I’m pretty sure it’s a scar or defect. Seeing dealer Monday.

Edit- Double checked no individual leather options in US available in the builder.

Last edited by freitz; 11-30-2018 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #11
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

As far as the Dakota. Wife x1 is coming up on 6 years. Dakota mocha still going strong. I would imagine the new version will be just as strong.

Worse case should be able to have the seats redone?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #12
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyM View Post

I detest this cheap-looking, VERY thin Vernasca leather, compared to the thick Dakota leather that was in my X5. This will wear out in time, I know, and I was planning on keeping my M40i for a long time. Longer than what I suspect this Vernasca will last...
According to BMW, the Vernasca is a step above the Dakota leather. But to me, they both feel pretty cheap. Now Merino, that's some nice stuff. But we'd have to upgrade to the X5 for that. I guess us in the cheap X3 and lower class vehicles don't qualify to be offered Merino.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #13
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Talked with my dealer bringing it in Monday. I think its as the other user said a defect. However I've had the car for 5 months already seems odd that it would show up now, never use that side of the rear so likely I missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
According to BMW, the Vernasca is a step above the Dakota leather. But to me, they both feel pretty cheap. Now Merino, that's some nice stuff. But we'd have to upgrade to the X5 for that. I guess us in the cheap X3 and lower class vehicles don't qualify to be offered Merino.
Had Merino been an option in the US I would have gone with it but I think the Vernasca feels nice for what it is. Should hold up fine,

Last edited by freitz; 11-30-2018 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 08:49 PM   #14
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I use the BMW foam leather cleaner. I have my daughter and the car and she always makes a mess.

https://www.amazon.com/BMW-831222982...63948078&psc=1

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 07:20 AM   #15
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
I use the BMW foam leather cleaner. I have my daughter and the car and she always makes a mess.

https://www.amazon.com/BMW-831222982...63948078&psc=1
Ha so does mine. Thought that cleaner was only for non PU leathers?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 05:20 PM   #16
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

In the UK we get the option of Individual Merino Fiona red & black, Tartufo, or Ivory White. I still don’t understand why there isn’t a black option Merino?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #17
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitz View Post
As far as the Dakota. Wife x1 is coming up on 6 years. Dakota mocha still going strong. I would imagine the new version will be just as strong.

Worse case should be able to have the seats redone?
Dakota in my old E70 was near perfect after 6.5 years when I sold, not the softest of leather but held up well to 3 kids, only thing I disliked was the black I had never looked a pure black, always seemed a very dark slightly blue/grey colour

Went for Cognac this time, Varnesca seems very slightly smoother to Dakota, slightly different grain pattern and seems to be standing up just as well but it is still a leather coated in plastic so will never be merino soft

Cleaning wise is still so easy, I use Dr Leather wipes and they remove stains/spills without a problem, they say they are OK for PU leather so hopefully alright?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #18
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Update - Going to dealer tomorrow. Appears to be a defect in the leather almost like scaring on skin. Conditioned it well.

Honestly could have been there the entire time. Only use the other side of the rear seat for toddler in and out, and I'm always driving so would have never noticed.

Service Manager said could be rear heated seats wire, honestly don't remember having that option lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #19
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Update - Dealer said it is defect from factory. As expected its like a scar on the hide that shows through the leather. Will be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #20
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux700 View Post
I have to say, the Vernasca initially feels fairly soft but this is the PU coating. My thoughts on it now are that it’s cheap and nasty. I’ve said it before, if there had been a Black Merino option I would have had it. Now wishing I’d gone with one of the other Merino options, just to avoid the vernasca stuff! At least it’s black and not that noticeable, so I’ll just have to to live with it.
Interesting. I have the complete opposite experience.

I haven't felt Vernasca that's been worn in for a few years, but initially, it's super hard and incredibly cheap feeling. My 2003 325ci had leatherette that felt softer, thicker, and more luxurious. The SensaTec fake leather that comes standard feels softer, yet more luxurious than the Vernasca leather.

I sat in new X3 competitors from Audi, Mercedes, Acura, and Infiniti. All have VASTLY better leather. I totally would have gone with SensaTec except getting Vernasca is the only way to get the ambient light package.

And I've sat in at least 8 other X3s on multiple dealer lots and they've all felt the same. Wasn't just X3s either. Other cars with Vernasca feel just as bad.

I think Merino is the level where I felt it actually seemed like proper leather. Even my old Honda had vastly better leather, and it's just "standard" leather. No luxury. On my old Lexus, the semi-aniline stuff it had makes Merino feel bad, let alone how it compares to Vernasca.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #21
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
Interesting. I have the complete opposite experience.

I haven't felt Vernasca that's been worn in for a few years, but initially, it's super hard and incredibly cheap feeling. My 2003 325ci had leatherette that felt softer, thicker, and more luxurious. The SensaTec fake leather that comes standard feels softer, yet more luxurious than the Vernasca leather.

I sat in new X3 competitors from Audi, Mercedes, Acura, and Infiniti. All have VASTLY better leather. I totally would have gone with SensaTec except getting Vernasca is the only way to get the ambient light package.

And I've sat in at least 8 other X3s on multiple dealer lots and they've all felt the same. Wasn't just X3s either. Other cars with Vernasca feel just as bad.

I think Merino is the level where I felt it actually seemed like proper leather. Even my old Honda had vastly better leather, and it's just "standard" leather. No luxury. On my old Lexus, the semi-aniline stuff it had makes Merino feel bad, let alone how it compares to Vernasca.
When I say soft, I actually meant silky surface... must be the pu coating. I actually ordered the Fiona red & black Merino but the Mrs didn’t like it, so reverted back to plain black vernasca. Now wish I’d stuck to my guns! I’ll just have to live with it - at least it’ll be easy to clean.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #22
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I've had a lot of defects in mine. I've got cognac.
Appreciate 0