E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car misses/surges at lower speed, wheels?

03-30-2018, 10:21 PM   #1
Wingnutts
Old Guy
Rep
Drives: 335is DCT

Garage List
2011 335is  [0.00]
2010 X5 35d  [0.00]
2009 E92 328i xdrive  [0.00]
Car misses/surges at lower speed, wheels?

2009 328i xdrive 6mt 72000 miles
The car has a hesitation under load only in the 15-35 mph typically. Seems to be more noticeable when the car is warmed up. Which gear doesn't matter. There are no lights, no codes, nothing. I've had one bmw dealership look at it, one independent bmw shop look at it and several other repair shops look at it. They all recognize the problem, but have no clue. Items changed in the attept to solve it are spark plugs (x2), coils, maf sensor, both vanos, throttle body cleaned, numerous bottles of techron, air filter. The valvetronic eccentric sensor has been checked as well as the camshaft position sensor. O2 sensors don't seem to be the issue either. Gas mileage is not affected. On the highway I'm averaging 29-31 mpg at 75mph.

Today I spent some good coin on diagnostics at another bmw dealership with their lead tech. After going through what I've already cleared, he went right to the drive train after double checking to ensure that there still isn't any codes. He disconnected the transfer case and still had the same surging. Everything looked solid. Until he checked the wheels. The wheels that I have are 16" diameter and square. Nothing fancy, but they are not stock. They were on the car when I bought it a few months ago. I did notice that they are loaded with a lot of weights. He checked the balance and the rear wheels were off. He attempted to balance them with their road force balancer, but he was unable to get them into spec. He is almost convinced that this is the hidden problem as he can't find anything else.

Thoughts or insight anyone?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 05:43 AM   #2
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnutts View Post
2009 328i xdrive 6mt 72000 miles
The car has a hesitation under load only in the 15-35 mph typically. Seems to be more noticeable when the car is warmed up. Which gear doesn't matter. There are no lights, no codes, nothing. I've had one bmw dealership look at it, one independent bmw shop look at it and several other repair shops look at it. They all recognize the problem, but have no clue. Items changed in the attept to solve it are spark plugs (x2), coils, maf sensor, both vanos, throttle body cleaned, numerous bottles of techron, air filter. The valvetronic eccentric sensor has been checked as well as the camshaft position sensor. O2 sensors don't seem to be the issue either. Gas mileage is not affected. On the highway I'm averaging 29-31 mpg at 75mph.

Today I spent some good coin on diagnostics at another bmw dealership with their lead tech. After going through what I've already cleared, he went right to the drive train after double checking to ensure that there still isn't any codes. He disconnected the transfer case and still had the same surging. Everything looked solid. Until he checked the wheels. The wheels that I have are 16" diameter and square. Nothing fancy, but they are not stock. They were on the car when I bought it a few months ago. I did notice that they are loaded with a lot of weights. He checked the balance and the rear wheels were off. He attempted to balance them with their road force balancer, but he was unable to get them into spec. He is almost convinced that this is the hidden problem as he can't find anything else.

Thoughts or insight anyone?
Do you have any friends with an E9x? If so, swap wheels and drive a couple of miles.

This will settle the issue, and will only cost you a couple of beers.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
Wingnutts
Old Guy
Rep
Drives: 335is DCT

Garage List
2011 335is  [0.00]
2010 X5 35d  [0.00]
2009 E92 328i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
Do you have any friends with an E9x? If so, swap wheels and drive a couple of miles.

This will settle the issue, and will only cost you a couple of beers.
Unfortunately I do not. that was discussed at the dealership as well. They offered to have me come back when they knew that another e9? would be on the lot with factory rims.

I do have a friend who used to have an 06 or 07 e90 and still has the staggered 19" rims and tires (235/35/19 and 265/30/19). After just talking to him, we are going to do a test fit and see how they run. Question is when can our two schedules align???...

For the record, I was quite happy with the help I received from this dealership. (Apple BMW in York PA) Most of us do not have happy stories regarding dealerships, but credit should be given when credit is due. I am three times closer to another dealership, but I don't have anything nice to say about them.
Appreciate 0