BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BMW X3/X4 Forums Third Generation BMW X3 (G01) General Forum (2017+) Radar detector hardwire

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #1
voyagergab
Captain
voyagergab's Avatar
Canada
332
Rep
860
Posts

Drives: M2 LCI 6MT, X3 M40i
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Calgary, AB

iTrader: (0)

Radar detector hardwire

Has anyone looked into radar detector hardwire with the G01.
In my F10 we did a super clean install wiring into the box behind the rear view mirror.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 11:13 PM   #2
sor
Major
sor's Avatar
748
Rep
1,494
Posts

Drives: 2018 G01 X3 M40i Phytonic
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
Has anyone looked into radar detector hardwire with the G01.
In my F10 we did a super clean install wiring into the box behind the rear view mirror.
Iím going to look into it probably in the next month or two. Iíve had my hands full with the steering wheel thing.

I did one on my S4 years ago where the Valentine 1 remote display was mounted inside the rear view mirror and the detector inside the rear center headrest. It works remarkably well even through the leather headrest, but you lose the laser detection. Iíve always been told itís mostly pointless to detect laser anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 11:36 PM   #3
voyagergab
Captain
voyagergab's Avatar
Canada
332
Rep
860
Posts

Drives: M2 LCI 6MT, X3 M40i
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Calgary, AB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Iím going to look into it probably in the next month or two. Iíve had my hands full with the steering wheel thing.

I did one on my S4 years ago where the Valentine 1 remote display was mounted inside the rear view mirror and the detector inside the rear center headrest. It works remarkably well even through the leather headrest, but you lose the laser detection. Iíve always been told itís mostly pointless to detect laser anyway.
Nice!

Yeah I was surprised to not see any info on this yet, on the other hand not too many were delivered so far. Hopefully there is something to tap into up there.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
KAP8
First Lieutenant
160
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: F32 435i
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Leesburg, VA

iTrader: (0)

In my F32, there is a socket underneath the glove compartment. So while not hardwired, the cord for my V1 plugs in down there and the cord is completely hidden.

I wish the G01 had a socket down there.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:12 PM   #5
JSY
Captain
United_States
294
Rep
707
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW X3 m40i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The F25 had a secondary fuse box behind the glove compartment that doesn't appear to exist in the G01 as there is no access hole in the compartment. However, I haven't been able to verify that by pulling out the diagram sheet located in the main fuse box in the rear because I don't know how to remove the fasteners hold the insulation down on top of the fuse box. Has anyone done this yet? I am trying to install a dash cam and even though not a radar detector, the goal would be the same in that I would want to wire it to the fuse box.

This is the sheet I'm talking about.. Judging by the size of that fuse panel, I actually feel like there would be a secondary panel as well.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by JSY; 12-01-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:40 PM   #6
voyagergab
Captain
voyagergab's Avatar
Canada
332
Rep
860
Posts

Drives: M2 LCI 6MT, X3 M40i
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Calgary, AB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
The F25 had a secondary fuse box behind the glove compartment that doesn't appear to exist in the G01 as there is no access hole in the compartment. However, I haven't been able to verify that by pulling out the diagram sheet located in the main fuse box in the rear because I don't know how to remove the fasteners hold the insulation down on top of the fuse box. Has anyone done this yet? I am trying to install a dash cam and even though not a radar detector, the goal would be the same in that I would want to wire it to the fuse box.

This is the sheet I'm talking about.. Judging by the size of that fuse panel, I actually feel like there would be a secondary panel as well.
Is there a fuse diagram in the owners manual?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:46 PM   #7
JSY
Captain
United_States
294
Rep
707
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW X3 m40i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
Is there a fuse diagram in the owners manual?
Nope. The manual actually states that the fuse diagram is on a "separate sheet" which would appear to mean that one stored in the main fuse box. lol
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:47 PM   #8
voyagergab
Captain
voyagergab's Avatar
Canada
332
Rep
860
Posts

Drives: M2 LCI 6MT, X3 M40i
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Calgary, AB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
Is there a fuse diagram in the owners manual?
Nope. The manual actually states that the fuse diagram is on a "separate sheet" which would appear to mean that one stored in the main fuse box. lol
Well that's helpful isn't it ))
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
JSY293.50

      12-01-2017, 11:01 PM   #9
voyagergab
Captain
voyagergab's Avatar
Canada
332
Rep
860
Posts

Drives: M2 LCI 6MT, X3 M40i
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Calgary, AB

iTrader: (0)

Running a wire from all the way back there would be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #10
cadman50
First Lieutenant
United_States
26
Rep
349
Posts

Drives: 2012 X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP8 View Post
In my F32, there is a socket underneath the glove compartment. So while not hardwired, the cord for my V1 plugs in down there and the cord is completely hidden.

I wish the G01 had a socket down there.
I have my V1 wired from just above the rear view mirror down to the ODB port which is down by the rear hatch button next to the left footrest. I use the Savvy which is very handy without having to hardwire anything. Are you saying the G01 doesn't have an ODB port down there? There must be a port somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #11
JSY
Captain
United_States
294
Rep
707
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW X3 m40i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
I have my V1 wired from just above the rear view mirror down to the ODB port which is down by the rear hatch button next to the left footrest. I use the Savvy which is very handy without having to hardwire anything. Are you saying the G01 doesn't have an ODB port down there? There must be a port somewhere.
There's definitely an ODB port down there just like the F25 and I just used it for coding. Never thought about using it as a power source, though. It doesn't get in the way of your leg sometimes?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #12
sor
Major
sor's Avatar
748
Rep
1,494
Posts

Drives: 2018 G01 X3 M40i Phytonic
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
As far as getting under the insulation, the clips are standard ďplug and pinĒ. Pry the pin out of the center and the plug will release. Then fold back the insulation, it doesnít seem to easily come up all the way as it is wrapped around at the top.

This may give a hint at least as to whether or not there are sub panels somewhere. Or maybe it is just for this panel. I think I glimpsed some distribution blocks and thick wires to the right of the battery the other day so if there are other panels maybe they branch there instead.
Attached Images
     
Appreciate 1
JSY293.50

      12-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #13
JSY
Captain
United_States
294
Rep
707
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW X3 m40i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
As far as getting under the insulation, the clips are standard √ā¬ďplug and pin√ā¬Ē. Pry the pin out of the center and the plug will release. Then fold back the insulation, it doesn√ā¬ít seem to easily come up all the way as it is wrapped around at the top.

This may give a hint at least as to whether or not there are sub panels somewhere. Or maybe it is just for this panel. I think I glimpsed some distribution blocks and thick wires to the right of the battery the other day so if there are other panels maybe they branch there instead.
Wow, thanks. I was about to do this today. It looks like there are indeed other panels other than the one in the rear, up to a total of 4, or 3 if the FB left and FB right is one panel. I am now thinking one of them is behind the glove compartment but not easily accessible considering there isn't even a hole to view it like in F25.

I now wouldn't be surprised if the fb front left is somewhere near the driver footwell, the fb front right behind the glove compartment, and BCD near the center display, the way it is laid out.

A little more complex than I thought. But maybe not once I find the panel locations. The FB front right is where I would like to tap into.

Thanks again for posting!


Ps. The FB front right looks very similar to the one behind the glove compartment in the F25.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #14
sor
Major
sor's Avatar
748
Rep
1,494
Posts

Drives: 2018 G01 X3 M40i Phytonic
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
I was able to slip my phone behind the glove box. Donít see anything obvious. I would think if there were other fuse locations they would mention it in the owners manual unless they werenít for user serviceable things.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #15
JSY
Captain
United_States
294
Rep
707
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW X3 m40i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I was able to slip my phone behind the glove box. Donít see anything obvious. I would think if there were other fuse locations they would mention it in the owners manual unless they werenít for user serviceable things.
To fully access the glove compartment fuse box in the F25, you had to unscrew the bottom cover under/behind the compartment and reach up to it. It looks different now so not sure how one would access it if there's nothing obvious. Some more research needs to be done. :-/ I was hoping to have figure it out by now so I could find a suitable way to mount my dash cam without going all the way to the back.

I don't think BMW has ever printed out any real fuse data information in the manual other than to say that the main panel is in the rear. They rely on the sheet that is stuffed in the box to show where the locations are.

From the sheets, the most ideal location would be F46, F47 to tap in for interrupted power but I also notice they use the bigger format fuse for these ones unlike in the F25 which means my fuse tapper will not work with it. I am guessing these fuses are the sockets in front and passenger.

It would seem to work with F284 in the rear, but not sure exactly which power source that is hooked up to. There are two fuses and one socket in the trunk. Maybe one of them is for the power source to the hitch.

Actually, yes it must be. F284 is listed for the electronic hitch as well.

A lot of think about while I'm in Florida the next 5 days.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2017, 10:10 AM   #16
KAP8
First Lieutenant
160
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: F32 435i
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Leesburg, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
I have my V1 wired from just above the rear view mirror down to the ODB port which is down by the rear hatch button next to the left footrest. I use the Savvy which is very handy without having to hardwire anything. Are you saying the G01 doesn't have an ODB port down there? There must be a port somewhere.
The ODB port is there. I'll go the Savvy route as well in the G01. On my F32, I don't need the ODB port since there is a normal outlet under the glove compartment.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #17
cadman50
First Lieutenant
United_States
26
Rep
349
Posts

Drives: 2012 X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
There's definitely an ODB port down there just like the F25 and I just used it for coding. Never thought about using it as a power source, though. It doesn't get in the way of your leg sometimes?
I've never had any problems getting in or out with the Savvy plugged in. And I've gotten in with a variety of large boots including ski boots. But when I've taken it in for service I've been asked what the plug is for and after I tell them what it is I also tell them to plug it back in. The Savvy works well because it sets a speed to which the alerts go to the lowest V1 volume setting so it doesn't get annoying with a lot of alerts. I set the high volume setting up so I get the alert then it mutes but I'm still able to follow visually to see where the alerts are coming from.
Appreciate 1
kozzi572.50

      12-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #18
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
kozzi's Avatar
United_States
573
Rep
840
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
I've never had any problems getting in or out with the Savvy plugged in. And I've gotten in with a variety of large boots including ski boots. But when I've taken it in for service I've been asked what the plug is for and after I tell them what it is I also tell them to plug it back in. The Savvy works well because it sets a speed to which the alerts go to the lowest V1 volume setting so it doesn't get annoying with a lot of alerts. I set the high volume setting up so I get the alert then it mutes but I'm still able to follow visually to see where the alerts are coming from.
Would you post a pic when you get a chance?
__________________
kozzi

2018 BMW G01 M40i
Phytonic Blue Metallic / Black_Blue Vernasca Leather / Aluminum Rhombicle / 20" 699M
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 09:13 PM   #19
cadman50
First Lieutenant
United_States
26
Rep
349
Posts

Drives: 2012 X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
Would you post a pic when you get a chance?
The wire from the V1 runs up to the headliner, then over to the A-pillar and down all the way to the Savvy. Its all tucked behind the headliner and behind the side panels on the A-pillar. Once it got to the A-pillar from the V1, I ran it across the short portion to the outside of the side panel and tucked it behind the panels all the way. Pretty simple and easy. I hope the pics help. They aren't the best.
Well I just looked at the pics and they are all sideways. But in my editor they are all right side up. I don't know why that happened. Let me know if this helps.
Name:  IMG_1857.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  83.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1858.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  112.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1859.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  48.2 KB
Appreciate 1
kozzi572.50

      12-05-2017, 12:37 AM   #20
voyagergab
Captain
voyagergab's Avatar
Canada
332
Rep
860
Posts

Drives: M2 LCI 6MT, X3 M40i
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Calgary, AB

iTrader: (0)

Looks good. Wonder if this gizmo works with other detectors. I've got an escort max.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #21
cadman50
First Lieutenant
United_States
26
Rep
349
Posts

Drives: 2012 X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
Looks good. Wonder if this gizmo works with other detectors. I've got an escort max.
My guess is it wouldn't but it would be worth a call to Escort to find out.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 10:31 AM   #22
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
kozzi's Avatar
United_States
573
Rep
840
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
The wire from the V1 runs up to the headliner, then over to the A-pillar and down all the way to the Savvy. Its all tucked behind the headliner and behind the side panels on the A-pillar. Once it got to the A-pillar from the V1, I ran it across the short portion to the outside of the side panel and tucked it behind the panels all the way. Pretty simple and easy. I hope the pics help. They aren't the best.
Well I just looked at the pics and they are all sideways. But in my editor they are all right side up. I don't know why that happened. Let me know if this helps...
Thanks for the pictures. I like how you tucked everything away and looks to be a very clean installation.
__________________
kozzi

2018 BMW G01 M40i
Phytonic Blue Metallic / Black_Blue Vernasca Leather / Aluminum Rhombicle / 20" 699M
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST