BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #1
ggalanis
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Exclamation First repair on my M40i under warranty

The car had a boost leak at the charge pipe to the intercooler on the turbo side and it was repaired yesterday at the dealer.

The symptoms were a check engine light, I got a drivetrain malfunction error once that went away by simply restarting the car, rough idle, less power and a bit of lag in the throttle. The most obvious symptom though was that under load, with the windows down, you could hear a rush of air accompanied by an annoying whine (like say the supercharger whine of a hellcat just not as loud) and you could hear the whine even with the radio on although barely under the slightest of loads.

After googling a bit, I figured that it was a boost leak, but since it did not produce the rush of air when revving with the car parked, I could not identify where the leak was. I suspected that the wastegate was not closing, but could not verify my hunch because of how tight everything is in the engine bay. I was wrong about the wastegate but it was still a boost leak.

The tech said that it was likely incorrectly installed at the factory, either it was not sealed properly or the pipe was kinked causing a restriction and with too much pressure on one side, the seal gave out.

In any case, I am happy to have it repaired and now the car feels right. I also swapped the tires to the 20" wheels and PSS tires, and I must say that the ride is noticeably more stiff. Not uncomfortable but definately not as plush as with the 18" winters on.

GG
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
ahfa1987
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40i Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis
The car had a boost leak at the charge pipe to the intercooler on the turbo side and it was repaired yesterday at the dealer.

The symptoms were a check engine light, I got a drivetrain malfunction error once that went away by simply restarting the car, rough idle, less power and a bit of lag in the throttle. The most obvious symptom though was that under load, with the windows down, you could hear a rush of air accompanied by an annoying whine (like say the supercharger whine of a hellcat just not as loud) and you could hear the whine even with the radio on although barely under the slightest of loads.

After googling a bit, I figured that it was a boost leak, but since it did not produce the rush of air when revving with the car parked, I could not identify where the leak was. I suspected that the wastegate was not closing, but could not verify my hunch because of how tight everything is in the engine bay. I was wrong about the wastegate but it was still a boost leak.

The tech said that it was likely incorrectly installed at the factory, either it was not sealed properly or the pipe was kinked causing a restriction and with too much pressure on one side, the seal gave out.

In any case, I am happy to have it repaired and now the car feels right. I also swapped the tires to the 20" wheels and PSS tires, and I must say that the ride is noticeably more stiff. Not uncomfortable but definately not as plush as with the 18" winters on.

GG
Damn, I hope i wont get any issues with my vehicle, so early though for something like that to happen. But I always tell myself, there is always human error at the end of the day and nothing is perfect.
'13 Mercedes Benz C-350 Opal Red GONE
'16 BMW x4 M40i Carbon Black W/ Mocha INT Current!
Appreciate 2
      04-09-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Charge pipe failed you say? Not uncommon. You can replace for a metal CP with a hugely improved collar/connection for about $350US from ER.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [10.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [10.00]
ggalanis how many miles now? do you drive it in sport/sport+ often or spirited ?
So far 1650 miles on my M40i and I drive it very spirited due to that reason, harder break-in could help weak parts come out or make things seal harder

IG: @bmwF9XG80
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #5
elimpfor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i MY17

Wow that sucks, but I guess you want the problems to show up now rather than later. I took the 7yr extended warranty for that sole reason, sure it might be a waste of money if your car has no issues, but with my luck, best to have it. I intend to keep it around 8 years.
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #6
ggalanis
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
ggalanis how many miles now? do you drive it in sport/sport+ often or spirited ?
So far 1650 miles on my M40i and I drive it very spirited due to that reason, harder break-in could help weak parts come out or make things seal harder
I am at 4000 km, so 2500 miles.
With the family, 75% of my driving, I drive in comfort near home, sport on the expressways.

When I am alone, 25% of the time, I drive in sport or sport+.
I don't really consider my driving so far to be spirited since quite a bit of it was with winter roads... but it is going to start warming up now and that's going to change a bit.

GG
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 05:57 AM   #7
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

Hi ggalanis,

It seems the quality build & control in South Carolina is weak. I will give my car to service for the following problems:
- Stolen X drive Logo after 5 days of owning it Of course in Italy (this has nothing to do with Quality Build & Control, I agree)
- Steering Wheel not proprely aligned
- Noise/sizzle/crackling coming from the Dashboard beetween 100-120km/h
- Noise/whistle coming from front axle driver side

The carbon gear shift I kept from my old X4 and asked to install in the new one, wasn't correctly installed. Now the gear shift is dislocating..

During the breakin period (1st time I did the breakin period with the radio off all time) I heard two times strange noises, like if the car was loosing pieces... So they will inspect and fix the car during 3 days.

already 3'000 km done.
Appreciate 0