E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Strange e91 taillight issue

02-20-2016, 12:13 AM   #1
mellofello808
Rep
Drives: e91 325ix alpine white

Strange e91 taillight issue

Hello first post here. E91 noob so perhaps this has been covered before.

My inner drivers side taillight is out on the center bulb. Like a idiot I assumed it was a led and ordered a entire tail light replacement only to take it apart to find a bulb DOH!

Anyway even after replacing the bulb, and the entire assembly I am still not getting light. At this point I would assume that it was a open or shorted wire. However here is the weird part. When I first turn the car on it lights up perfectly fine. It will stay on for about 15-20 seconds, then the lightbulb icon comes on the dash and it turns off. Tried 3 different bulbs with the same result.

What could be causing this? It's almost as if the car is getting a error code and purposely cutting voltage to the lamp. I am stumped since the wire obviously has continuity, and is not shorted since it lights up perfectly for 15 seconds.

Any ideas on where to look on trouble shooting this?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 01:42 AM   #2
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

That is odd. Are you throwing any codes?

Welcome!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 02:19 AM   #3
Gaspo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E91 320D -2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellofello808 View Post
Hello first post here. E91 noob so perhaps this has been covered before.

My inner drivers side taillight is out on the center bulb. Like a idiot I assumed it was a led and ordered a entire tail light replacement only to take it apart to find a bulb DOH!

Anyway even after replacing the bulb, and the entire assembly I am still not getting light. At this point I would assume that it was a open or shorted wire. However here is the weird part. When I first turn the car on it lights up perfectly fine. It will stay on for about 15-20 seconds, then the lightbulb icon comes on the dash and it turns off. Tried 3 different bulbs with the same result.

What could be causing this? It's almost as if the car is getting a error code and purposely cutting voltage to the lamp. I am stumped since the wire obviously has continuity, and is not shorted since it lights up perfectly for 15 seconds.

Any ideas on where to look on trouble shooting this?
When the light bulb comes on. Press the bc button until you get a cc-id code in your dash.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 02:58 AM   #4
mellofello808
Rep
Drives: e91 325ix alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobeus View Post
When the light bulb comes on. Press the bc button until you get a cc-id code in your dash.
Which one is the BC button? I do have a bluetooth OBD adapter I can use
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 03:44 AM   #5
Gaspo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E91 320D -2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellofello808 View Post
Which one is the BC button? I do have a bluetooth OBD adapter I can use
I don't know if you have the simple bordcomputer like I have or the the navigation with a screnn on the dashboard. If you have regular bordcomputer you have the bc button on left indicator arm. My English isent the best. I hope you understand.
Appreciate 0