E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Sending car to Indy shop for Trans problems. What do I say?

02-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe E92 Black

Sending car to Indy shop for Trans problems. What do I say?

07 335i e92 AT 6 speed.

Past few months my car has had a transmission fault (4F8D or 4F86) all saying "5 after 4" so shifting from 5th to 4th usually downhill (4 times total). Temp is fine when it faults (according to INPA).

I'm taking my car to an Indy BMW shop. What should I tell him to do?
Fluid change? Check grommets? Check solenoids?

I know there are a lot of DIY for random transmission things but I want the indy shop to do things without it costing me thousands of dollars.

I know a lot of people say these transmissions are "bullet proof" but the guy I bought mine from said almost every other E9X he ends up buying has a trans problem (automatics only) and he has to send it to auction. (He buys trade-ins from two local BMW dealers).
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:02 AM   #2
MuffinMan910
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 335i xDrive mSport

People say these transmissions are bullet proof? When my warranty was up and BMW was trying to sell me extended warranty I was told "if you had an automatic transmission I'd highly advise you get extended warranty because something will go wrong. But you have a manual so you should be fine"

I'd start with a fluid change. But realistically if you're going to bring it to an Indy, you pretty much should be relying on them to do what they think is best instead of doing what you think they should start on
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan910 View Post
People say these transmissions are bullet proof? When my warranty was up and BMW was trying to sell me extended warranty I was told "if you had an automatic transmission I'd highly advise you get extended warranty because something will go wrong. But you have a manual so you should be fine"
Yea, I've read it quite a few times. "I'm modding my car, can my AT trans take it" "YEA these things are BULLETPROOF" ..... but clearly not so much ha.

Quote:
I'd start with a fluid change. But realistically if you're going to bring it to an Indy, you pretty much should be relying on them to do what they think is best instead of doing what you think they should start on
Definitely true, I was jw if anyone had success by just changing one part instead of the Indy doing a lot of things adding up the $$.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Check this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1036295
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post
I actually saw that. And it's interesting because that is my exact error 4F8D 5-4 and my model trans (6HP19TU 09/06). So I guess I need to try that, but I don't know how you stop an automatic car in drive without hitting the brakes....
"Allow the vehicle to then coast to a stop"
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDriveIt View Post
07 335i e92 AT 6 speed.

Past few months my car has had a transmission fault (4F8D or 4F86) all saying "5 after 4" so shifting from 5th to 4th usually downhill (4 times total). Temp is fine when it faults (according to INPA).

I'm taking my car to an Indy BMW shop. What should I tell him to do?
Fluid change? Check grommets? Check solenoids?

I know there are a lot of DIY for random transmission things but I want the indy shop to do things without it costing me thousands of dollars.

I know a lot of people say these transmissions are "bullet proof" but the guy I bought mine from said almost every other E9X he ends up buying has a trans problem (automatics only) and he has to send it to auction. (He buys trade-ins from two local BMW dealers).
Your Title: Sending car to Indy shop for Trans problems. What do I say?

Answer: say to the mechanic, "it's broken, fix it... I need it soon, here's money."

done

sorry I had to... it was just too easy

1) 6AT fluid flush (I like the redline fluid)
2) New pan and filter with new screws
3) replace the Mechatronic sleeve $12 part and no labor
4) Do the procedure to make sure the fluid is FULL
5) Reset the transmission
6) Get the Alpina flash if your 2007 can be allowed to have it.

enjoy driving again
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Your Title: Sending car to Indy shop for Trans problems. What do I say?

Answer: say to the mechanic, "it's broken, fix it... I need it soon, here's money."

done

sorry I had to... it was just too easy

1) 6AT fluid flush (I like the redline fluid)
2) New pan and filter with new screws
3) replace the Mechatronic sleeve $12 part and no labor
4) Do the procedure to make sure the fluid is FULL
5) Reset the transmission
6) Get the Alpina flash if your 2007 can be allowed to have it.

enjoy driving again
Hah the money part is the problem. Don't want a multi thousand dollar bill.

But I think I'll start with the things you mentioned here, unfortunately I can't flash my trans (because my bluetooth module is too old????) but I'll see if he can do the rest and whatever else he suggests that is not too costly.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Quote:
I actually saw that. And it's interesting because that is my exact error 4F8D 5-4 and my model trans (6HP19TU 09/06). So I guess I need to try that, but I don't know how you stop an automatic car in drive without hitting the brakes....
"Allow the vehicle to then coast to a stop"
You can use the brakes to stop. Let off the gas until it slows down most of the way, and then stop with the brakes.

But I'm not sure how helpful just doing the adaptation reset will be, I think really you need to update the transmission software.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #9
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hah the money part is the problem. Don't want a multi thousand dollar bill.

But I think I'll start with the things you mentioned here, unfortunately I can't flash my trans (because my bluetooth module is too old????) but I'll see if he can do the rest and whatever else he suggests that is not too costly.
Glad you got a laugh out of it

I recently did that transmission service at my Indy at the 100k mile mark for my 6AT. It's not a crazy bill to be honest. The Mechatronic sleeve tends to leak by 70k miles so just expect that this will be a recurring service you should always do at this interval (My mechatronic sleeve was done under CPO at 75k miles but they wouldn't do the other stuff).

Check out the parts here: https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-33...ce/Drivetrain/

The rest is whatever you work out on labor rates with your indy and if he is up to the job?

The alpina flash can be done with a simple $20 coding cable (I don't recommend wireless) and a coding laptop with winkfp/ncs/inpa
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #10
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Glad you got a laugh out of it

I recently did that transmission service at my Indy at the 100k mile mark for my 6AT. It's not a crazy bill to be honest. The Mechatronic sleeve tends to leak by 70k miles so just expect that this will be a recurring service you should always do at this interval (My mechatronic sleeve was done under CPO at 75k miles but they wouldn't do the other stuff).
About how much was your work?

Quote:

The alpina flash can be done with a simple $20 coding cable (I don't recommend wireless) and a coding laptop with winkfp/ncs/inpa
Since my car is a 09/06/2006 build I don't think I can flash the trans, something about the transmission module in the car being too old or something like that.

Last edited by JustDriveIt; 02-17-2016 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 03:15 PM   #11
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

If you put redline in the AFT good luck. Regardless of what redline or any other ATF manufacturer states there are only two approved AFTs; Lifeguard 6 or Mercons SP. ZF transmission are pretty much bullet proof until you start to experiment and then wonder what happened.
Fluid change is prudent. Also solenoid replacement does happen as well but not super common.
I would not get too excited and take this step by step with fluid change then reset adaptations. If that doesn't work move to the next step. Yes your transmission might be having an issue especially if it is a 19TU and not updates to a 21 which it should have been...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #12
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
If you put redline in the AFT good luck. Regardless of what redline or any other ATF manufacturer states there are only two approved AFTs; Lifeguard 6 or Mercons SP. ZF transmission are pretty much bullet proof until you start to experiment and then wonder what happened.
Fluid change is prudent. Also solenoid replacement does happen as well but not super common.
I would not get too excited and take this step by step with fluid change then reset adaptations. If that doesn't work move to the next step. Yes your transmission might be having an issue especially if it is a 19TU and not updates to a 21 which it should have been...
May transmission should have been updated? Was there a recall? Doesn't sound so bullet proof to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #13
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
About how much was your work?
its hard to break out to a line item cost... i have a good relationship with my indy where he takes care of my cars at a great price and i just pay him whatever he asks as a cash tip... ymmv (i try to make good contacts with win/win situations). i did a lot of work all in one go and dropped a huge coin... this was just a small part of the maintanence i had done all at the same visit.

Quote:
Since my car is a 09/06/2006 build I don't think I can flash the trans, something about the transmission module in the car being too old or something like that.
yea the cut off is some time with a march 2007 build date i think honestly... i tried the alpina flash... i went back to the oem stock flash and still have it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #14
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
i guess keep an eye out if i ever make a post needing a used 6AT in the near/far future... i can't disagree with you that i am taking a risk on something not explicitly spelled out as an approved fluid with neon lights and flashing arrows but 3000 miles have been rock solid and the car feels the same as before to me. I had the transmission flushed, not just a pan drop.

Its hard to believe that i can only go to one reseller to get a product like transmission fluid for a mass market vehicle. We researched compatible fluids and called Redline who is not a fly by night company. I've been using redline in most of my vehicles over the past 20 years and no issues to date on any transmission... i still own every car i have ever bought... they all shift better than at day one with oem fluids (IMHO).

FYI - I have this in my transmission right now: https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-33...rain/ES251177/
Appreciate 0