BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #1
Mrag2
Registered
Rep
Drives: pending purchase

High cost of ownership? BMW vs. Acura

Looking for some thoughts from existing X3 owners about a potential purchase of an xDrive28i.

I am currently driving a 2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD with Technology Package and at a point whereby I can “hand me down” this vehicle to my wife and purchase something new (or keep and let her choose). Either way, the MDX is not going away as it a great family vehicle for us – yet, I simply do not need something quite so large for my daily use. Plus, X3 will likely provide more driving fun!

Guess my concern with purchasing an X3 is predominately tied to ownership costs. I drive 20,000+ miles annually and historically have driven Acura/Honda products for their low maintenance requirements and ease of which they can rack up the mileage without compliant. I have a perception that 2.0 turbo 4-cylinder X3 will be costly to maintain and perhaps not provide the carefree longevity that I am used to. Please tell me I am wrong...

What can I expect over a 5-year 100,000 ownership experience? Surprising to me, I recently had two different salespeople at my local dealership talk openly about high ownership cost with one saying BMW means Bring Money With – hardly a way to motivate a purchase.

Lastly I understand the 2017 model year will usher in a new redesigned X3. From past experience, I would prefer to avoid a first year model and would likely be happy with the current vehicle. Is anyone experiencing deep discounts on 2016’s given this dynamic?

Any and all thoughts are most welcome!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
NOITALL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

If you purchase it now you'll get 4 years or 50000 miles (whichever happens first) worth of "free" maintenance.
This will change to 3 years 36k miles next year.

I own the vehicle for a year and have done 2 oil changes myself and that had been the extent of maintenance I've applied (30 k kilometres in the period).
I don't expect to do any other "large" unexpected maintenance such as a breakdown. But for that I have the warranty as well.

My car has now 100,000 km.

Your mileage may vary, one car is different than the other. Luck and how you maintain your vehicle play a larger role in the vehicle's longevity, not the brand badge. I've had Honda and it was a piece of crap.
I have 2 BMWs at home and I drive them anywhere like there's no tomorrow, and rely on them. Never let me down.

Cheers
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #3
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I think BMW ownership is one of the cheapest. Not sure in the USA what you get service and warranty wise?

I had 5 years or 60,000 miles included with my car for servicing, I have reached the mileage by year 3, but still means I am only due another £600 odd worth of servicing by year 6 and 120,000 miles.

I was discussing this on the Merc forum last night, I was considering swapping for a 3 year old ML350, but the figures simply don't stack up.

For 3 more years warranty (we get 3 years in the UK vs your 4 years) and all servicing it will cost me approx £2000.
If I were to buy an ML it will cost me just over £10,000 for 3 years warranty and servicing.
Now that is an expensive comparison.

I would actually happily run my BMWs out of warranty for 2-3 years and up to 120k mies, I have had enough now that have hit that mileage with nothing other than minor things going wrong.

The difference for me on warranty was £1500 for 3 years on the BMW vs £7500 on the Mercedes. In the UK our extended warranty is actually a third party insurance policy, not an in house warranty, it is supplied by BMW or Mercedes but both are under written by Mondial.
Being an insurance policy it is based on actual payouts, which gives me lots of confidence on the BMW but makes me very wary of running the Merc.

5 years and 100,000 miles is just about run it imho.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

My experience with the X3, now 40 months old and with 65,000 km has been that the maintenance cost is very minimal. Same with my previous 323i (2006 MY) that I had through 100,000 km. My wife's Honda CRV (2007) has required much more maintenance and break-fixes than either of my BMW's.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #5
jponline77
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M Sport

I don't think maintenance would lead to a higher cost of ownership. Everything is under warranty and maintenance is free for three years. So, I don't think that's the issue. However, BMW is a higher cost of ownership mainly because its cars are more expensive than Acura. That will swamp any maintenance costs. I argue they are nicer cars but if you are very concerned about cost of ownership and the BMW "experience" doesn't have you super excited about a higher cost of a vehicle then you should probably stick to Acura. Taking it further, if cost of ownership is a big concern then you should stick with Honda because a fully loaded Honda is a good car and very practical and you will save a lot of money. A BMW will get you excited every time you get in the car and step on the gas. A Honda will get you where you need to go comfortably and afford-ably.

What do they say about yacht ownership, if you have to ask how much it'll cost it's too expensive? I would say of owning a BMW, if you want to save money, then it's the wrong brand to own.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #6
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

"Generally speaking" Japanese cars are considered more reliable than European makes...

That said, I have bought BMW since 1998 and have found them reliable and more importantly a hell of a lot of fun to drive. More than any reliable Lexus my wife ever had.

Had her test drive a bmw SAV after driving Lexus Rx350's for years and she never went back. Has had X5 and now an X4.

I think you've received good advice here. Know your own vehicle priorities really well and that can be your guide.
      01-14-2016, 02:48 AM   #7
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Having had a long list of non BMWs I can confirm for us
1. Yes the BMW is the most fun driving we have ever had.
2. The servicing costs are very low - we have opted for the extended w'tee option after 4 years - its more as an insurance against big bills but at £30 is the same cost and Merc. is for a year car!!
3. We run winter tyres because we enjoy driving the bmw - but find the extra grip well worth the extra cost of swapping each year (it cost nothing extra in tyres as you need them anyhow)

SO yes the BMW is not cheap, but for fun per £/$ it is well at the top of the list !!
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 08:14 AM   #8
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrag2 View Post
Looking for some thoughts from existing X3 owners about a potential purchase of an xDrive28i.

I am currently driving a 2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD with Technology Package and at a point whereby I can “hand me down” this vehicle to my wife and purchase something new (or keep and let her choose). Either way, the MDX is not going away as it a great family vehicle for us – yet, I simply do not need something quite so large for my daily use. Plus, X3 will likely provide more driving fun!

Guess my concern with purchasing an X3 is predominately tied to ownership costs. I drive 20,000+ miles annually and historically have driven Acura/Honda products for their low maintenance requirements and ease of which they can rack up the mileage without compliant. I have a perception that 2.0 turbo 4-cylinder X3 will be costly to maintain and perhaps not provide the carefree longevity that I am used to. Please tell me I am wrong...

What can I expect over a 5-year 100,000 ownership experience? Surprising to me, I recently had two different salespeople at my local dealership talk openly about high ownership cost with one saying BMW means Bring Money With – hardly a way to motivate a purchase.

Lastly I understand the 2017 model year will usher in a new redesigned X3. From past experience, I would prefer to avoid a first year model and would likely be happy with the current vehicle. Is anyone experiencing deep discounts on 2016’s given this dynamic?

Any and all thoughts are most welcome!
Acura products are among the most reliable in the industries, especially the powertrain. With that said, BMW's powertrain is pretty reliable as well, most of the problems are with the sensors and other non-powertrain related components. In 5 years, 100,000 miles, you will probably need the usual routine maintenance such as tires, brakes and plugs. Brake flush, brake pads, rotors, oil changes and air filters; all covered for 50,000 miles. If you are handy with the wrench, you can do some of that work yourself or you can also find a good BMW indy mechanic which will cost much less than the dealer. From 50000 miles to 100000 miles, I would expect the schedule maintenance to cost around $2500. On top of that, one set of brakes, $2000 and plugs, $350. I would consider buying the extended warranty and extended schedule maintenance if you know for sure you will keep the car for 100000 miles. Lastly, if you want a car that is more fun to drive, why buy a SUV? You should be looking at sedans. If you need the cargo space, and want a fun SUV, you should test drive the 6 cylinder X3 35i with the dynamic handling package. Good Luck.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 09:53 AM   #9
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

I can't speak specifically to the X3 but I can say that my prior BMWs haven't been too bad from a cost of ownership standpoint. They've been very solid DDs overall and I've had no complaints. 5 years/100K should be a no-brainer and it's even pretty unlikely that you'll need any really major work done during that time.

It's cliche to say this but generally if you can comfortably afford the cost of entry to get into a BMW you shouldn't have any problems swinging the maintenance. I can't say for certain if the maintenance costs will be the same as for other brands over the life of the vehicle but I can say that if there is a difference, it's pretty insignificant.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 07:53 AM   #10
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jponline77 View Post
I don't think maintenance would lead to a higher cost of ownership. Everything is under warranty and maintenance is free for three years. So, I don't think that's the issue. However, BMW is a higher cost of ownership mainly because its cars are more expensive than Acura. That will swamp any maintenance costs. I argue they are nicer cars but if you are very concerned about cost of ownership and the BMW "experience" doesn't have you super excited about a higher cost of a vehicle then you should probably stick to Acura. Taking it further, if cost of ownership is a big concern then you should stick with Honda because a fully loaded Honda is a good car and very practical and you will save a lot of money. A BMW will get you excited every time you get in the car and step on the gas. A Honda will get you where you need to go comfortably and afford-ably.

What do they say about yacht ownership, if you have to ask how much it'll cost it's too expensive? I would say of owning a BMW, if you want to save money, then it's the wrong brand to own.
+1

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #11
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

I wouldn't keep any german cars out of warranty... but that's more for potential repair costs than maintenance costs.

In terms of maintenance I think BMW is pretty okay, maybe a bit higher than Honda/Acura but the difference isn't that big to me, or relative to the price of the car.

Acura share parts with Honda (just replaced brake pads on a CRV- found out the pads are also used on RDX or MDX). That make it even cheaper to maintain/repair if you can DIY.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #12
Mrag2
Registered
Rep
Drives: pending purchase

Much appreciate all the feedback on this topic!
Appreciate 0