BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-03-2024, 04:32 PM   #1
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

X3 vs. M3 Competition Estate

We just returned from a driving vacation in Germany/Austria with an M3 Competition Estate. This may seem like an inappropriate comparison with an X3, but both form factors of estate and utility vehicle are in the 3 family in the D segment for BMW. From there, these two solutions do show their differences, even moreso versus my X3 30i. Comparison to an X3M would be more direct of course. But, there are aspects that are directly comparable.

Even before driving the M3C away from the airport pickup, we noted that the luggage that fit and filled the cargo area of my X3 on the way to the departing airport with the rear seat up required us to fold the M3C rear seat down to accomodate the same load. Upon entry, my wife and I both noted how incredibly comfortable these seats were, even moreso than our X3 seats that we already like quite a bit for shape and comfort. Whomever designed the M3C seats must have been working from my MRI! But, we also reminded ourselves of why we prefer the taller vehicle for ingress/egress each time we dropped in and climbed up and out! Age will do this to you. Yes, I understand the trade-off of vehicle ride height and roll center in z for handling. Even comparably equipped to my 30i, I would no longer take the lower passenger car ride height versus the utility vehiclen for daily use. I can still on occasion enjoy my 2 Series for the sportier experience.

The powertrain speaks for itself. Incredible. Very easy to get up to the general flow of traffic in the unregulated speed zones (150-180kph) and only a bit more pedal pressure to cruise at my top speed for the trip, just over 200 kph. Awesome power and response. The DCT was outstanding, pulling off shifts in an eyeblink with seamless transition. If I lived near and used that type of road environment, it would be very tempting to have this powertrain. I would also have to be ready for how thirsty is this motor. It guzzles E5 or E10.

However, around town, it was a bit different. Throttle tip in, especially when ASS is engaged, often produced an initial unintended surge; stop and go traffic in Berlin and Munich resulted in repeating uncomfortable moments.

Steering response is immediate. Roll is almost imperceptible. The suspension calibration was obviously quite firm. This was fine on some portions of highway, but was punishing on city street cobbletone sections. On concrete highways, all the minor imperfections on what seemed to be excellent condition roads announced themselves quite noticeably, resulting in a very "busy" ride. On asphalt sections, the suspension settled down but even the most minor undulations in asphalt came through. One really must want to have this overall calibration for speed to be willing to accept its day to day reality of ride.

We almost were getting used to the full width instrumentation screen, but still wouldn't want it in our own cars. Simple moves such as adjusting fan speed or getting MAX AC for a few moments are more distracting than anyone might wish and require unnecessary menu level diving. This is worth avoiding.

At the end of the trip, I knew I would miss the fun of this rented powerhouse. I think of it as "fun while it lasted"..sort of a BMW "Disneyland" experience. But, I also knew, while it made reasonable sense in some ways in the European highway (not city) environment, it would be wasted or unwanted for its capabilities and characteristics in our suburban USA where most driving is a 10-15 minute trip on traffic light-controlled streets under 50 mph with the occasional run on a local highway to downtown or the airport. I was happy to find my X3 waiting at the airport upon our return and pleased to fit the cargo in the rear and have an easy entry into a comfortable ride home, no matter the road surface in our environment.

BTW, skip the plant tour if passing by Leipzig (and maybe similar at other BMW plants). They spend almost two hours on welding robots and automated guide vehicles with parts but prohibit seeing any of what we called TCF...Trim/Chassis/Final...no engine decking, wheels/suspension installation, interior seats or instrument panel...and no view of finished cars at the end. Really not worth it and unlike any other plant tour I've taken anywhere or given when we had guests at my prior OEM.
Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 7
dmicah781.00
Lady Jane72076.50
Rottweiler4061.00
TXGrey1303.50
Burr0013377.00
jwong77343.50
      05-04-2024, 12:36 AM   #2
WHITEUNDERARM
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Nice write up! I sold my G80 M3 for my X3 and as a daily I have no complaints. I have however found myself lately itching to get back into an M3, and have been toying with the idea of the G81 Touring as a happy medium between the G80 and the X3.
      05-04-2024, 01:46 AM   #3
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

The question is - did you totally nail it on the autobahn? That place is crazy (although, sadly, somewhat limited for max v in places :-( ).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 08:37 AM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
The question is - did you totally nail it on the autobahn? That place is crazy (although, sadly, somewhat limited for max v in places :-( ).
Absolutely...coming off the last tight turn of some of the entrance ramps was the perfect opportunity. Moreso in the unlimited parts of Germany than in Austria which is regulated to 130kph nationally. It felt like when some roller coasters take off from the start! Even at around 200kph, lane discipline was critical as others would fly by on the left. This rental came with a full tank of blinker fluid and I used it all!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 01:22 PM   #5
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

If BMW offered the 3 series wagon in the U.S. now, I would have purchased one to replace my previous F31.

My preference would have been for the next model down from the M3 Touring, but a 330xi would have been fine.
prototyp228.00
      05-06-2024, 12:02 AM   #6
bouchy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01)

Quote:
the luggage that fit and filled the cargo area of my X3 on the way to the departing airport with the rear seat up required us to fold the M3C rear seat down to accomodate the same load.
This scares me a lot. Those so called double floors in luggage compartment are disgusting! I bet if you had the old ordinary low floor (even with full size spare wheel under it, wow!), this would not happen. I hate double floor for such reason. Yes, there is some (yet very flat) space under it. Will you unload every single luggage to get there? Certainly not.
I've seen a short video, where a bloke bought some firewood and then travelled home on unlimited highway

Yes, those are uncomparable. Getting out of car in crowded parking lot with obsolete European p. space width, when your behind is 25 cm above the road surface gets more and more difficult. In X3, I almost have the opposite problem, not touching the ground with feet when getting out.
Other than that, I cannot compare. Be careful, since US specs and trims might contain different items etc. I'm sometimes "amazed" how one simple item can destroy the rest of configuration - i.e. seats choice.
Appreciate 0