BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-09-2024, 08:19 PM   #45
BrockDM
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
BrockDM Can you outline / briefly mention the paint process that was involved in achieving this super nice finish... ? I'm a quarter German & super particular about stuff. But I'm also a sales professional & personally know that good things don't last forever. I realize that powder coating is a super durable finish. And I believe it's baked on. So it's usually only recommended to do this once to factory wheels. No matter what, I look forward to finding out more details from you soon. The last thing I want to do is have regrets.

You are correct. Now, i don't know exacly how the shop goes about their process but they are one of the biggest in the midwest for powder coatings.

Generally speaking tho, powder coating involves sandblasting the wheels to remove anything from the surface. Sometimes paint stripping agents are used as well. Then you spray the powder on and bake them in an over. It can be redone in other finishes, it's not permanent by anymeans. The only stipulation is you can't go back to the oem finish like plasti dip or peelable paints. That said, I'm no expert by any means so I dont know much more in depth than that.

Crown Customs and Coatings in Wheeling, IL did them if you would like to look them up. They were coated with Prismatic Powders - Black Jack and a top coat of clear. The shop specializes in automotive coatings and customization and has done 4 sets of wheels for me with no issues ever.
      02-09-2024, 09:06 PM   #46
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Thank you BrockDM This gives me the info I needed to do a little more research. What you mentioned certainly provides me with a better idea about things. Here is the thread gave me the idea to ask about more wheels finish specifics. Post #337. I know these shops have it down to a science & sounds like you were happy with this top notch shop's results. The color looks dark grey in certain lights & at certain angles (which I don't mind). It appears to probably took these photos right before the sun went down. So they have a sunset tint to them. To make a long story short, I'm getting much closer to jumping on these.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...659862&page=16. Post #337

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 09:23 PM   #47
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
Thank you BrockDM This gives me the info I needed to do a little more research. What you mentioned certainly provides me with a better idea about things. Here is the thread gave me the idea to ask about more wheels finish specifics. Post #337. I know these shops have it down to a science & sounds like you were happy with this top notch shop's results. The color looks dark grey in certain lights & at certain angles (which I don't mind). It appears to probably took these photos right before the sun went down. So they have a sunset tint to them. To make a long story short, I'm getting much closer to jumping on these.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...59862&page=16. Post #337

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-o4xYwAXzM
Yeah no problem at all. You are correct, the photos I took were indirect sunlight around the evening. Happy to take some photos tomorrow in different lighting and ill upload them 👍🏼
      02-09-2024, 09:53 PM   #48
HuskerNSC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Can you get the inside of the wheels too (where they mount)? I was reading horror stories about shops that powder coat where the wheels mount causing issues.

Thanks BrockDM!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 11:59 AM   #49
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

HuskerNSC Kevin_The_Clean1

Here are a few additional photos in various lighting. Unedited iPhone photos. They definitely don't look dark grey in person, they just look satin black. In my original photos I try to edit them so the color is closest to how they look in person (ie removing the blue and yellow highlights and shadows).

Excuse the dust.

Inside garage:

Direct sunlight:

02-10-2024, 03:39 PM   #50
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Thank you for taking the time to take these nice photos for us. That shop did an excellent job on them. I know they have a flawless finish no matter how much dust is in the garage. This gives me a much better idea of what they'll look like in the sunlight.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
HuskerNSC116.50