BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-06-2023, 08:25 AM   #1
Manhattan
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Scheduling first oil change... and list of issues.

I need some input, guidance here. In addition to needing its first oil change, the '23 X3 has a few "bugs" that are bugging the @#&* out of me. My fear is that, the age-old car-in-the-shop phenomenon will occur: The car will behave flawlessly and the tech will say "Could not replicate customer complaint... " and nothing will be resolved.

The growing list of bugs:[LIST=1]
- CarPlay connects about 50% of the time. It just doesn't see my phone. I've paired, re-paired, un-paired, re-paired... That it happens 1/2 the time means the pairing is working... I think?
- Maybe, 20% of the time, my fob doesn't move the driver's seat. It moves the mirrors, just not the seat. Pressing the #2 button moves it to the right place.
- Occasionally, the lift gate stays locked despite the four doors being unlocked. Pressing the unlock button on the fob unlocks it. Maybe this is a setting?
- The TPMS system says to check the tires. They've been checked, rechecked (different gauges), reset, etc.

Any tips on how to get the service guy to have the tech dig deeper than just a cursory "seems fine" approach?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 08:27 AM   #2
smaglik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 MT

Perhaps record videos of these things happening? A bit of a pain to do so, but it's better than they alternative.
bouchy78.50
      09-06-2023, 08:43 AM   #3
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Option 1 was significantly resolved for me with the SW update that came out prior to this one... seems to be almost flawless now.
      09-06-2023, 09:14 AM   #4
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaglik View Post
Perhaps record videos of these things happening? A bit of a pain to do so, but it's better than they alternative.
+1 Either have a video of the issue or request to show the issue to the master tech.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 09:36 AM   #5
Manhattan
Rep

Video is a good idea. Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 10:01 AM   #6
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
I'm just about due for my first oil change as well. I know everyone drives different but I shouldn't have to change my brakes at ~10k miles, right?
Appreciate 2
lfdal541036.00
dmicah769.00
      09-06-2023, 10:16 AM   #7
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post
I'm just about due for my first oil change as well. I know everyone drives different but I shouldn't have to change my brakes at ~10k miles, right?
10k? Only if you track the car or drive like a raving maniac and stand on the brakes at every stop. I suspect that's not the case
Appreciate 1
EWL5898.00
      09-06-2023, 11:15 AM   #8
ez311
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
I need some input, guidance here. In addition to needing its first oil change, the '23 X3 has a few "bugs" that are bugging the @#&* out of me. My fear is that, the age-old car-in-the-shop phenomenon will occur: The car will behave flawlessly and the tech will say "Could not replicate customer complaint... " and nothing will be resolved.

- CarPlay connects about 50% of the time. It just doesn't see my phone. I've paired, re-paired, un-paired, re-paired... That it happens 1/2 the time means the pairing is working... I think?
- Maybe, 20% of the time, my fob doesn't move the driver's seat. It moves the mirrors, just not the seat. Pressing the #2 button moves it to the right place.
- Occasionally, the lift gate stays locked despite the four doors being unlocked. Pressing the unlock button on the fob unlocks it. Maybe this is a setting?
- The TPMS system says to check the tires. They've been checked, rechecked (different gauges), reset, etc.

Any tips on how to get the service guy to have the tech dig deeper than just a cursory "seems fine" approach?

Thanks!
I see you're in Atlanta. What dealer are you planning to go for service (and why)?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 11:55 AM   #9
Manhattan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez311 View Post
I see you're in Atlanta. What dealer are you planning to go for service (and why)?
Nalley in Decatur; the computer says we're close to needing an oil & filter change.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 12:41 PM   #10
builtbytrav
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks!

When Carplay is weird, try to turn off phone wifi. Mine will say "Disconnect from Carplay?" to which you obviously click no. Carplay then actually connects. I do this probably 15-20% of times I enter the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 01:35 PM   #11
Manhattan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by builtbytrav View Post
When Carplay is weird, try to turn off phone wifi. Mine will say "Disconnect from Carplay?" to which you obviously click no. Carplay then actually connects. I do this probably 15-20% of times I enter the car.
Will definitely give this a shot! Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 02:54 AM   #12
bouchy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01)

Record videos if you can.
Key fobs have their mind. Sometimes I have to double lock the car, maybe I'm too fast and some doors are not indicated as closed. The same with handle touch. All in all, in less than 10% of lock/unlock.
TPMS - maybe a dead battery. Unfortunately, only replacing the whole unit will help (if..)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 08:11 AM   #13
Manhattan
Rep

I really need to get this all fixed... I'm finding it hard to not rub it in when my wife and I get in my 2006 Land Cruiser with aftermarket wireless CarPlay - and it pairs perfectly every time. I just can't resist saying "Ha. Look at that." She's not amused. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 08:37 AM   #14
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:

Thanks!
Maybe, 20% of the time, my fob doesn't move the driver's seat. It moves the mirrors, just not the seat. Pressing the #2 button moves it to the right place
There's no bug here...either multiple fobs being used and therefore settings aren't "tied" to the correct fob or maybe your wife thinks she saved the setting but didn't

Yes, setting. Check idrive

Not entirely sure this is a bug. My wife's '23 x1 has this from time to time when changing to winters last year, but disappeared when summers were re-installed...despite checking the correct tire in the idrive settings. Also, I found by selecting the generic tire setting in idrive, the issue generally went away

As for carplay, no idea. We use AA. But believe I've read that this issue has been addressed via sw updates

EDIT: Also had the tpms issue on my '20 x3mc...
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
Gritty374.50