BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-04-2023, 09:44 AM   #1
tegoetz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

What is MOC A/C Evaporator Service for a 2019 X3

Hello
My 2019 BMW X3 has 30K miles. I recently took it in to the dealership for an oil change. They recommended MOC A/C Evaporator Service for $320 but didnt really provide a good explanation on what the service does.
What is MOC A/C Evaporator Service?
What does it fix?
Whats the risk if I dont do it?
I do live in a hot climate (Houston), but havent noticed anything wrong with my A/C.
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 09:54 AM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegoetz View Post
Hello
My 2019 BMW X3 has 30K miles. I recently took it in to the dealership for an oil change. They recommended MOC A/C Evaporator Service for $320 but didnt really provide a good explanation on what the service does.
What is MOC A/C Evaporator Service?
What does it fix?
Whats the risk if I dont do it?
I do live in a hot climate (Houston), but havent noticed anything wrong with my A/C.
Thanks in advance!
Ah, the "My Old Car" additional service!

Actually, I believe it is the cleaner that works on any bacteria/mold build-up that causes the odd smell that eventually may come out of the AC vents. If/when that happens, just replacing the cabin air filter is not sufficient. The evaporator has to be cleaned as well. I had the air filter and evaporator cleaning done for a combined total of about $250 at our BMW dealer. My wife tells me the AC no longer smells like vinegar when the car starts.

If this is what I think it is and you do nothing, you will be fine, but if/when you have a start-up AC odor, this will be your remedy.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 03:10 PM   #3
jeff3820
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3

If you don't have a moldy smell when using the AC, why pay money to decontaminate the evaporator that doesn't have mold contamination??
Appreciate 0