BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i, 2011 E90 M3

Dark graphite on cognac vs black(ventilated)

Hi all, placed my order last week but I'm still debating on either keeping the ventilated black seats or getting rid of the ventilated and getting the cognac seats instead.
Exterior is dark graphite and I'm afraid the black interior will make it look somewhat boring..love the cognac color but no ventilated option for it unfortunately.
Also how's the ventilated function actually? Does it also provide ventilation on the back or just on the butts?
      07-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i Dark Graphite Cogn

Can't speak on the ventilated seats however I do have the dark graphite and cognac combo and it is amazing (even more so in person).

The dark graphite has almost a magenta hue to it, paired with the cognac interior it's almost like PB&J

It's super classy, I honestly don't think there's a better combo.

But if ventilated seats are a NEED and not WANT then that's a no brainer, I trust you understand what you lose with the ventilated seats.
      07-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

You probably know this but with the ventilated seats you aren't getting the more comfortable sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
tenflyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 x30i

I was in the same boat as you, I wanted the graphite exterior but wanted a lightened up interior and have ventilated seats. So I went with the canberra beige interior. I think it looks great, provides a nice contrast to the dark exterior.

I suggest driving both the ventilated and non-ventilated seats ASAP, that's the only way you can decide which is for you. For me I was willing to lose the adjustable bolsters to have the ventilation. The ventilation in the X3 is more subtle vs other cars I've had, but when it is 90+ degrees out, I would hate not having it.

I have no 2nd thoughts on my decisions.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
munna
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

I love the ventilation in my seats - especially on hot days or after driving home from the gym.

But if I would do it again, I’d get the sport seats. I really miss the bigger bolsters and that overweighs the ventilation. If you do any spirited driving, you’ll be sliding around in the ventilated seats

Try them both and see what you prefer
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

As others have said, you should try them out for yourself if at all possible. I started my search wanting ventilated seats before understanding the seats were actually different. One I tried them out and the regular seat I said I’d rather get the sport seat. I was planning on ordering a car and the dealer had a car pretty close to what I wanted but had ventilated seats. I asked them if I could take the vehicle for few hours, decided they were comfortable enough for me and bought that car. After a few months of ownership, and rising summer temps in Atlanta, I am thrilled with my ventilated seats. They cool my back and it is wonderful how much faster I feel cooled off as opposed to driving my other bmw without ventilated seats. If they were the exact same seat as the sport seat with the added ventilation, it would be a no-brainer. However, I drive quite a bit each week (2 hours at a time) and I am very happy with my ventilated seats. Hope this helps.

In terms of the color combo, I have the dark grey metallic with blank interior (only way to get ventilated at the time). I think the cognac and grey combo would be beautiful. I actually saw that combo at a x3 launch party. That was the combo I was thinking of ordering. The black actually reads well in the car. All the metal trim, contrast stitching, large windows and pano roof keeps it from feeling too dark. I do like that my car is a solid color inside. It seems sort of serene if that makes sense.

Last edited by bmtespar; 07-18-2018 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #7
tenflyer
Private
Rep

I think one key, besides of course the climate they live in, is if they had ventilated seats before. I think it is one of those things, like adaptive cruise control or HUD that once you have you can't go w/o it. Now it helped that my previous car before this (Jeep Cherokee) had the least comfortable seats of all time so no matter what choice I made it was going to be better.

As to the colors, that is just so subjective. If I had stuck with black I'm sure I'd be equally happy, in my case I more wanted a change (my last like 10 cars were all black interiors). I enjoy how much lighter it feels. Next car, who knows.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:45 PM   #8
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayf30 View Post
Can't speak on the ventilated seats however I do have the dark graphite and cognac combo and it is amazing (even more so in person).

The dark graphite has almost a magenta hue to it, paired with the cognac interior it's almost like PB&J

It's super classy, I honestly don't think there's a better combo.

But if ventilated seats are a NEED and not WANT then that's a no brainer, I trust you understand what you lose with the ventilated seats.
Thats what I thought since I probably won't need the ventilation that long, and I love how the cognac color looks.. especially paired with the dark graphite paint
      07-18-2018, 10:49 PM   #9
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenflyer View Post
I was in the same boat as you, I wanted the graphite exterior but wanted a lightened up interior and have ventilated seats. So I went with the canberra beige interior. I think it looks great, provides a nice contrast to the dark exterior.

I suggest driving both the ventilated and non-ventilated seats ASAP, that's the only way you can decide which is for you. For me I was willing to lose the adjustable bolsters to have the ventilation. The ventilation in the X3 is more subtle vs other cars I've had, but when it is 90+ degrees out, I would hate not having it.

I have no 2nd thoughts on my decisions.
To be honest it's hard to find a x3 with ventilated seats in my area.. I don't really like the beige color but like you said I would also prefer to have a contrast between the exterior and interior.
      07-18-2018, 10:51 PM   #10
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna View Post
I love the ventilation in my seats - especially on hot days or after driving home from the gym.

But if I would do it again, I’d get the sport seats. I really miss the bigger bolsters and that overweighs the ventilation. If you do any spirited driving, you’ll be sliding around in the ventilated seats

Try them both and see what you prefer
Honestly how is the ventilation? The thing is that on my m3 the seats get really hot in summer that's the reason I decided that I wanted a ventilated seats for the next car....
      07-19-2018, 12:39 AM   #11
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Dark graphite on cognac vs black(ventilated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuySweden View Post
You probably know this but with the ventilated seats you aren't getting the more comfortable sport seats.
I know. But does it really make that much of a difference regarding comfort?
      07-19-2018, 04:12 AM   #12
Zembla
Rep
Drives: X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
To be honest it's hard to find a x3 with ventilated seats in my area.. I don't really like the beige color but like you said I would also prefer to have a contrast between the exterior and interior.
What about the oyster which is a lot less boring beige-ish? Having light coloured seats also helps in reducing the heat, so maybe seat ventilation becomes less of a necessity that way.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 05:58 AM   #13
tenflyer
Private
Rep

Another thing I just thought of as a key is where you are parking your car. If at work and at home it is garaged, that would reduce the need for ventilation in general and would push me more towards wanting the color you want and adjustable sport seat bolsters. In my case it is on the street, so even with a nice covercraft sunshade (which btw are the best), plus Virginia heat/humidity, I had to have ventilation.

Like I mentioned in a previous post the BMW ventilation is more subtle vs. my previous 2 cars, don't expect it to blast cold air on your a$$.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 06:44 AM   #14
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenflyer View Post
Another thing I just thought of as a key is where you are parking your car. If at work and at home it is garaged, that would reduce the need for ventilation in general and would push me more towards wanting the color you want and adjustable sport seat bolsters. In my case it is on the street, so even with a nice covercraft sunshade (which btw are the best), plus Virginia heat/humidity, I had to have ventilation.

Like I mentioned in a previous post the BMW ventilation is more subtle vs. my previous 2 cars, don't expect it to blast cold air on your a$$.
That totally makes sense. My car will be mostly garaged I think.. now I've decided to choose between the cognac and black with blue stitching lol another tough choice!
      07-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #15
munna
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

Quote:
Honestly how is the ventilation? The thing is that on my m3 the seats get really hot in summer that's the reason I decided that I wanted a ventilated seats for the next car....
It’s a very subtle effect. I was originally expecting to be able to feel the air coming out the seat, but it’s very faint. However, it does seem to work. I just can’t say how good it is to other cars as this is the first time I’ve ever had this feature on any car
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #16
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna View Post
It’s a very subtle effect. I was originally expecting to be able to feel the air coming out the seat, but it’s very faint. However, it does seem to work. I just can’t say how good it is to other cars as this is the first time I’ve ever had this feature on any car
THanks for the input! Guess i'll skip it for now and maybe get it for my next car.So Cognac or black/blue stitching for me!
      07-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #17
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
THanks for the input! Guess i'll skip it for now and maybe get it for my next car.So Cognac or black/blue stitching for me!
You don't consider Mocka? I believe it's a nice break from the black, and good with Sophisto Gray exterior, and I think you can get it with ventilated seats.

/n
Appreciate 1
mathys202.50
      07-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #18
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Black with blue stitching all day.

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #19
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
Quote:
You don't consider Mocka? I believe it's a nice break from the black, and good with Sophisto Gray exterior, and I think you can get it with ventilated seats.

/n
Nah wife doesn't like mocha, I think I'm sticking with the sports seats for now, so cognac or black with blue stitching.
      07-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #20
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike View Post
Black with blue stitching all day.
I'm thinking about getting it, will probably make the car look way more sporty on the inside.
      07-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #21
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I went with carbon over black/blue stitching with the grey poplar trim. Pretty much the colors I've wanted for the last two cars and couldn't get off the lot. For once I'm REALLY looking forward to my next BMW. Something to be said for getting exactly what you want and not settling for what's on the lot and being rammed down your throat!

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #22
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike View Post
I went with carbon over black/blue stitching with the grey poplar trim. Pretty much the colors I've wanted for the last two cars and couldn't get off the lot. For once I'm REALLY looking forward to my next BMW. Something to be said for getting exactly what you want and not settling for what's on the lot and being rammed down your throat!
I'm going for the aluminum trim, but not sure how will it look with Cognac....I'm scheduled for week 33 and to be honest this car gets me very excited, even more than getting a M.