BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-10-2019, 10:47 PM   #1
mstinia
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Lightbulb Replacing dim incandescent taillights with LED

I would like to upgrade my 2016 F25 (LCI with adaptive LED headlights) from incandescent tail lights (break lights, turn signals) to LED bulbs. I still don't understand why BMW would have fantastic headlights -- but only dim and slow incandescent taillights ...

Has anybody recently replaced taillight bulbs in favor of LEDs and any recommendations on bulbs? I found some old posts (2012) and Google searches show up the usual suspects (CarID, SuperbrightLEDs, eBay, etc.) -- but I prefer to hear from someone who went down that path recently (e.g., with newer bulbs) and is very happy with the outcome (i.e., not too dark, too bright, etc.).

FWIW. I am familiar with coding and what I'd have to change (e.g., I expect to disable cold and warm monitors), but am a bit nervous about LED bulbs potentially causing damage to other electronics if they misbehave on the CAN bus (even error-free ones).

I'd be grateful to read about any experiences, pointers, success stories (and caveats) ... :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #2
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Tail light intensities are mandated by USDoT as far as I know. What makes you say they are dim? As for slow, so there is a minute warm up and decay time with an incandescent bulb. Big deal. The only rear lights I would brighten would be the reversing lights, but that's because I have desert appropriate tint and one of my vehicles doesn't have a backup camera or parking sensors.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 08:27 AM   #3
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
I have been buying these bulbs since 06 this company is great. If the reverse lights on this chart match your cars rear bulbs go for it. I have no first hand knowledge on the X3 as mine has the LED head/tails. Only changed them out on my E90s. These are the bulbs that bimmian sells, no error codes and last forever.

https://weisslicht.com/collections/all/BMW-X3-2011