BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #1
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Wireless Charging Options - Not "Discussions"

So we all know that the wireless pad in the X3 sporadically works. And even when it does, it's slow. Let's talk about solutions we have found

I ordered this center console tray (graciously found and shared by another forum member I might add) on ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/202413420845

It has a hole in it so you can run the USB cable from under to a wireless pad that I'm planning to put in the larger portion of the tray and just put my phone in there. This is the Wireless Charging Pad I'm getting:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HV3V6M...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Cheap and has really good reviews. I will post pics and my personal review of it in about 3 weeks

Anyone else want to share their proposed solutions?
      11-17-2018, 01:13 AM   #2
T16ole
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M40i

Where do you power it from?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 01:20 AM   #3
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T16ole View Post
Where do you power it from?
There's a USB port in the central cubby.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 06:24 AM   #4
Tex94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i, Carbon Black

Garage List
Price is right
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 06:30 AM   #5
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
There's a USB port in the central cubby.
equipment dependent may I add.
      11-17-2018, 06:33 AM   #6
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

The usb charging pad found on Amazon was exactly the kind of option I had in mind when I opted out the OEM wireless charging pad and saved myself a bundle on money. Let us know how well it works. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #7
kevinkay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post

It has a hole in it so you can run the USB cable from under to a wireless pad that I'm planning to put in the larger portion of the tray
I would be worried if my phone wasn't out in plain sight It would get left in the closed armrest.

I don't have factory wireless charging and so no power in the armrest - so a mute point for me,

I think one of the cupholders would make a great charger - drop your drink in one and phone into the other.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #8
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkay View Post
I would be worried if my phone wasn't out in plain sight It would get left in the closed armrest.

I don't have factory wireless charging and so no power in the armrest - so a mute point for me,

I think one of the cupholders would make a great charger - drop your drink in one and phone into the other.
oh no - I actually DON'T have the wireless charging option either Hence my creation of this thread to share solutions. Regardless - there should be a USB port in the armrest that you can connect a cable to.
      11-17-2018, 05:50 PM   #9
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
oh no - I actually DON'T have the wireless charging option either Hence my creation of this thread to share solutions. Regardless - there should be a USB port in the armrest that you can connect a cable to.
You sure about that? I dont know, but I thought poster Kevinkay had his car already (so should know if there is a USB port there)

Just as a side note to your other question in the thread about enhanced bluetooth, that definitely comes with wireless charging (unless you code it later).

Anyway you didnt want discussion in this thread so Ill stop.. It might be a good idea to confirm there is a USB port in the armrest if you are planning on using that one though. Let us know if there is.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #10
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Quote:
You sure about that? I dont know, but I thought poster Kevinkay had his car already (so should know if there is a USB port there)

Just as a side note to your other question in the thread about enhanced bluetooth, that definitely comes with wireless charging (unless you code it later).

Anyway you didnt want discussion in this thread so Ill stop.. It might be a good idea to confirm there is a USB port in the armrest if you are planning on using that one though. Let us know if there is.
No USB port in my armrest either, this is what I do instead:

There is a cigarette lighter port right between the center front cupholders, and I plug a good USB charging adaptor with duel ports from Amazon there, capable of doing 2.4A each. There is a built-in USB port from the car storage area on the upper right side, but I suspect it's a 1.2A port?! (if true, it will charge slowly from this port).

Maybe running a short wire of 1ft. To the armrest storage may work for you?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #11
kevinkay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

2019 X3
no wireless charging and definitely no second USB in the center armrest

Breaking the rules a bit about discussion........but have thought about the possibility of jumping off the rear cigarette lighter and cutting in a cig. lighter/power into the arm rest box?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #12
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
So we all know that the wireless pad in the X3 sporadically works. And even when it does, it's slow. Let's talk about solutions we have found
The wireless charging pad in my 2018 M40i and in my current 2019 M40i charges fast and works great with my Samsung S9+.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      11-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #13
IM_ALL_IN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
The wireless charging pad in my 2018 M40i and in my current 2019 M40i charges fast and works great with my Samsung S9+.
Works great with my S8 and a note 5 too
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      11-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #14
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
equipment dependent may I add.
Exactly. My MY18 30i with ZPP and 688 doesn't have a USB connector in the center console. There's only one (!) in the center tray. I wonder if you need at least ZPX to get that second one.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 09:26 PM   #15
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

back on the OPs topic for the thread...

So, OP, what is your plan now that you know there is no USB in the center console in your "soon to be" X3?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 10:36 PM   #16
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So, OP, what is your plan now that you know there is no USB in the center console in your "soon to be" X3?
Well.....crap. Back to drawing board. I'm also kinda pissed that it wasn't obvious when building the car Online that Enhanced USB is tied to the wireless charging option. I guess it isn't so bad cause I can have my buddy code it.

The main reason I opted out of the wireless charging option is that I read (an someone also verified) that the charging pad is tied to having a hotspot subscription with a wireless carrier. I didn't want another silly bill from my car...lol. Now I feel silly.

Anyways.....I guess i'll just opt for going old school and get a USB cable for that outlet next to the cupholders. Just ordered that "flat" cigarette, dual USB plug from Amazon...This Bad Boy - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...CEVESDQN&psc=1

Last edited by SROC3; 11-17-2018 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 12:08 AM   #17
RegieX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive30i, Tesla M3

Quote:
Well.....crap. Back to drawing board. I'm also kinda pissed that it wasn't obvious when building the car Online that Enhanced USB is tied to the wireless charging option. I guess it isn't so bad cause I can have my buddy code it.

The main reason I opted out of the wireless charging option is that I read (an someone also verified) that the charging pad is tied to having a hotspot subscription with a wireless carrier. I didn't want another silly bill from my car...lol. Now I feel silly.

Anyways.....I guess i'll just opt for going old school and get a USB cable for that outlet next to the cupholders. Just ordered that "flat" cigarette, dual USB plug from Amazon...This Bad Boy - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...CEVESDQN&psc=1
My X30i came with the dual USB plug in the ziplock bag with the owners manual for free.

I plugged the charging pad into the USB by the cupholders and I keep the sliding door closed halfway and have the wireless charging pad sitting on top of the door. The cupholders are still useable but I don't use the small storage space in front of the cupholders, under the sliding door/charging pad.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 12:13 AM   #18
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegieX View Post
Quote:

My X30i came with the dual USB plug in the ziplock bag with the owners manual for free.

I plugged the charging pad into the USB by the cupholders and I keep the sliding door closed halfway and have the wireless charging pad sitting on top of the door. The cupholders are still useable but I don't use the small storage space in front of the cupholders, under the sliding door/charging pad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegieX View Post
Quote:

Great idea! What charging pad you use? Btw - do you have issues using CarPlay or playing music? Did you have the enhanced usb coded in afterwards?

EDIT: so now after reading what I just wrote....WHY ON EARTH would BMW not include enhanced USB/Bluetooth with the Carplay option?? Carplay ONLY works wirelessly - so....isn't enhanced BT/WL necessary to optimize this function?

Last edited by SROC3; 11-18-2018 at 03:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 04:50 AM   #19
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:

Anyways.....I guess i'll just opt for going old school and get a USB cable for that outlet next to the cupholders. Just ordered that "flat" cigarette, dual USB plug from Amazon...This Bad Boy - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SDQN&psc=1
As far as I'm aware you don't have to get a wifi contract with the EBT, everything else works fine without one just the hotspot won't work
Appreciate 1
deladude266.00
      11-18-2018, 06:21 AM   #20
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
[/url]
I don't have any contract with a wireless carrier and everything works fine for me ( I don't use the hotspot)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #21
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
As far as I'm aware you don't have to get a wifi contract with the EBT, everything else works fine without one just the hotspot won't work
Thats correct, you dont have to contract it (at least here in the US).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #22
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...CEVESDQN&psc=1
A short free subscription is included with it. When that runs out you can pay to continue it or not.
Appreciate 0