BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-13-2022, 05:07 PM   #1
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Question Differences between OEM X3M and X3MC catback exhaust?

Hey everyone. I have the chance to pick up an OEM take-off axleback exhaust form a '22 X3M Comp, complete with black tips for a very decent price.

I have been watching some videos online, but of course they dont paint the full picture.

I'm looking for a little bit more volume, not change the tone/timbre and of course no drone.

The few videos out there show the X3MC with tons of obnoxious pops/farts/crackles/etc.

Are those inherent to the exhaust itself or is it part of the ASD? Hope its the latter since it can be coded out.

Thanks, appreciate any and all feedback.

EDIT: added picture of actual unit for sale by the owner. He yanked it and installed a "race unit".
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 05:32 PM   #2
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
My opinion, the Performance Comp exhaust is also very quiet, better off getting a mid pipe to delete secondary cats and resonator, than just changing the muffler. It wont add the sound you are looking for, but a mid pipe will, and still be able to go into quiet mode.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2022, 05:36 PM   #3
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
My opinion, the Performance Comp exhaust is also very quiet, better off getting a mid pipe to delete secondary cats and resonator, than just changing the muffler. It wont add the sound you are looking for, but a mid pipe will, and still be able to go into quiet mode.

Thanks for chiming in. I'd like to leave the "true exhaust" part alone since factory warranty and stuff. I think if I were to start looking into midpipes I'd keep it catted, but have Gesi cats or something much freer flowing.

Definitely not going to screw with downpipes, not for another 5 years. May look into it once warranty and maintenance expires.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 11:07 AM   #4
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3, '18 M2, '22 X3M

You can get a VSC-2 so you can control the valves to increase volume a bit. Simple to install/remove when needed. To install the comp exhaust you will have to cut your existing exhaust off since it's a one-piece unit. Since you are worried about warranty and all, not sure you want to do that. It's made to be cut off, but just throwing it out there in case you don't know that bit.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #5
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99 View Post
You can get a VSC-2 so you can control the valves to increase volume a bit. Simple to install/remove when needed. To install the comp exhaust you will have to cut your existing exhaust off since it's a one-piece unit. Since you are worried about warranty and all, not sure you want to do that. It's made to be cut off, but just throwing it out there in case you don't know that bit.

Thanks for the feedback. I was aware that it needed to be cut-off and welded/clamped back together. I'm sure the dealer wont give me sh*t for that, other than it wont be covered but then again, its just a piece of metal.

And if the valve controllers go bad I'll have a spare set.

I'll look into those VSC-2.

EDIT: so it looks like this controller cannot be activated/deactivated by the factory exhaust button, but rather mirror or homelink buttons. Guess it's an ok compromise IMO.

Last edited by TacosRule!; 11-14-2022 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 01:12 PM   #6
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabster2010 View Post

I'll look into those VSC-2.

EDIT: so it looks like this controller cannot be activated/deactivated by the factory exhaust button, but rather mirror or homelink buttons. Guess it's an ok compromise IMO.
It comes with two remotes and you can then pair the on/off to the homelink buttons on the mirror. Since I have two garage doors, I only set the "on" button to the middle homelink button and that works for me. I keep one of the remotes in the little compartment under the headlight switch in case I want to turn it "off" but I've never wanted to do that so far. It resets when you restart the car (if you have it programmed to factory as the default setting).

On my previous 2020, I just pulled the fuse with the valves open, but on long rides I prefer the option to make it quieter. It can be real boomy during the cold/semi-warm start sequence as well so I usually wait til I'm down the road before opening it up. It's nice having the control.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 01:45 PM   #7
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
It comes with two remotes and you can then pair the on/off to the homelink buttons on the mirror. Since I have two garage doors, I only set the "on" button to the middle homelink button and that works for me. I keep one of the remotes in the little compartment under the headlight switch in case I want to turn it "off" but I've never wanted to do that so far. It resets when you restart the car (if you have it programmed to factory as the default setting).

On my previous 2020, I just pulled the fuse with the valves open, but on long rides I prefer the option to make it quieter. It can be real boomy during the cold/semi-warm start sequence as well so I usually wait til I'm down the road before opening it up. It's nice having the control.
How long have you had the VSC-2 for? I'm currently torn between CG vs Dahler. The G80/G82 member reviews have been off putting. Any issues during extreme cold/heat?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 01:49 PM   #8
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyo View Post
How long have you had the VSC-2 for? I'm currently torn between CG vs Dahler. The G80/G82 member reviews have been off putting. Any issues during extreme cold/heat?
Only about a month so far, to be honest. I haven't had any problems but I also live in a pretty mild climate compared to most. I will watch out for issues when it get's "cold" here in Austin, but that won't be saying much for some of you guys! I'm also parked in some sort of garage about 95% of the time (work/home) so that may not help others as well.
Appreciate 1
pyo554.00
      11-14-2022, 03:54 PM   #9
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyo View Post

Yeah just spent an hour or so reading that thread and the GC does not look promising. At least not worth considering IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 03:56 PM   #10
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
when it get's "cold" here in Austin

dude, it snowed last season, around january this year, in B/CS.

I spent 10 years in the panhandle and man, it gets really cold up there. Imagine my surprise (and somewhat of a delight) when it started flaking here.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 04:05 PM   #11
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
dude, it snowed last season, around january this year, in B/CS.

I spent 10 years in the panhandle and man, it gets really cold up there. Imagine my surprise (and somewhat of a delight) when it started flaking here.

Yes, of course, but as such we weren't able to drive around in it and it was totally out of the ordinary. Even that was mild compared to some of the people here that see that type of weather for 4 months EVERY year!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 04:27 PM   #12
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes, of course, but as such we weren't able to drive around in it and it was totally out of the ordinary. Even that was mild compared to some of the people here that see that type of weather for 4 months EVERY year!

Thats about the only thing I miss about being i raider land. Driving 3-4 months in cold/snow/ice was fun.

February last year doesnt count though, that was a freak storm I hope I dont have to live thru again
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 09:52 PM   #13
golferdude
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xDrive

You may have already found out what you need to know but in my opinion the comp exhaust is on the quieter side. There is very minimal burbling, I haven't heard any pops or backfires like the MPPSK on my 340i. It's not that loud with the valves open. On the highway there is zero drone, even with valves open. So I'd say the comp exhaust is very livable for the majority of people. I would prefer more noise but there are mods for that.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 09:17 AM   #14
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferdude View Post
You may have already found out what you need to know but in my opinion the comp exhaust is on the quieter side. There is very minimal burbling, I haven't heard any pops or backfires like the MPPSK on my 340i. It's not that loud with the valves open. On the highway there is zero drone, even with valves open. So I'd say the comp exhaust is very livable for the majority of people. I would prefer more noise but there are mods for that.

Thanks for the feedback. I dont like pops/burbles/farts/etc on the exhaust, they are always the same so they get tiresome and sound artificial (which they are).

Now, my understanding is that those noises can be coded out, so I'll look into doing that.

I listened to the MPPSK exhaust clips on the bmw site, and must say it sounds really nice. Sadly not available for the x3, or anything similar to it.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2022, 09:47 AM   #15
redbullfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 TR X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golferdude View Post
Guarantee you that you'll notice POPS like the MPPSK if you get a mid pipe. The Comp Exhaust has a different deeper tone compared to the Non-comp.

Appreciate 1
      11-15-2022, 10:00 AM   #16
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbullfan View Post
Guarantee you that you'll notice POPS like the MPPSK if you get a mid pipe. The Comp Exhaust has a different deeper tone compared to the Non-comp.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll stay away from an aftermarket mid pipe.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 08:38 PM   #17
redbullfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 TR X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I'd recommend getting an AA midpipe if you want good sound

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 08:31 AM   #18
2020X3MCDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Depending on the cost I'd say it is an upgrade in sound. It was for sure one of the reasons I went with the Comp over the base M. I do not think the popping is excessive, just the right amount for me.

IMO it would have to be at most 1/3rd the cost (maybe even less) of an aftermarket exhaust for me to even consider it. Otherwise, I'm just biting the bullet and getting a quality aftermarket piece.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 07:24 PM   #19
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020X3MCDG View Post
Depending on the cost I'd say it is an upgrade in sound. It was for sure one of the reasons I went with the Comp over the base M. I do not think the popping is excessive, just the right amount for me.

IMO it would have to be at most 1/3rd the cost (maybe even less) of an aftermarket exhaust for me to even consider it. Otherwise, I'm just biting the bullet and getting a quality aftermarket piece.

He has it listed at 800, I will offer 400 cash see if he bites. Its just sitting in the guy's garage...
Appreciate 0