BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-04-2020, 07:32 PM   #67
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I guess it's not for everyone, but after living in mine for 2500 miles... myself, wife, and dog (beagles have opinions too) all approve with no complaint. Due to COVID I haven't had passengers to comment. So I'd be interested to side by side my car with some of these tester vehicles to see what the fuss is about, but of course that isn't going to happen. My direct point of comparison is my B9 Audi SQ5 which I just turned in at lease end for my X3M. It had the extremely comfortable air suspension which is basically the same on Macan, and the SQ5 did also handle well. Yes my X3M is more stiff compared to that luxury air ride but there is no loss of comfort IMO. If I'm the niche buyer for this vehicle then great, because I've been waiting since for them to make it since I sold my first E9x M3 in 2013!
Just realized your local to me. I actually recall talking to you about your E92 M3 I believe you had for sale awhile back (when I was contemplating another one ) What's your take between those two cars ride quality wise? Since you are used to I5 and 405 around here I would garner if your not complaining I would be just fine.

OT: I since added a GC Trailhawk with a HEMI to the garage for outdoor duties and it has the air suspension. Although, it's comfortable the terrible dampening characteristics make me never want another air suspension vehicle. That and when you hit the large dips/expansion seams on I5 you feel like a pogo stick. Makes the wife and kid sick...might be good excuse to say hey I found the fix...trade both vehicles for X3M
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 07:48 PM   #68
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
Just realized your local to me. I actually recall talking to you about your E92 M3 I believe you had for sale awhile back (when I was contemplating another one ) What's your take between those two cars ride quality wise? Since you are used to I5 and 405 around here I would garner if your not complaining I would be just fine.

OT: I since added a GC Trailhawk with a HEMI to the garage for outdoor duties and it has the air suspension. Although, it's comfortable the terrible dampening characteristics make me never want another air suspension vehicle. That and when you hit the large dips/expansion seams on I5 you feel like a pogo stick. Makes the wife and kid sick...might be good excuse to say hey I found the fix...trade both vehicles for X3M
Speaking from the comp variant perspective, if smooth is your goal, the factory comp is not your solution. You can swap springs and resolve if desired.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 08:58 PM   #69
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

Does anyone know if BMW could possibly soften the settings in comfort mode via a software update? My 2017 Corvette got a similar suspension upgrade that GM offered for $350. If possible, I assume there would be lots of takers.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 09:04 PM   #70
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC17 View Post
Does anyone know if BMW could possibly soften the settings in comfort mode via a software update? My 2017 Corvette got a similar suspension upgrade that GM offered for $350. If possible, I assume there would be lots of takers.
I'm no mechanic, but via software alone, my guess is no. The electronically adaptable suspension that we have allows for variance across a hardware-determined range. I believe the comfort setting to be the softest possible with our factory springs.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:00 PM   #71
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cobra View Post
Note to self, when racing one of thees in my trackhawk, use launch control since the BMW owner most likely doesn't know how to
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 11:11 PM   #72
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS View Post
Promise you....if they had made the suspension softer everyone would be complaining that its "not a real M car" and the like...
+1 lol

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 07:50 AM   #73
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Quote:
I guess it's not for everyone, but after living in mine for 2500 miles... myself, wife, and dog (beagles have opinions too) all approve with no complaint. Due to COVID I haven't had passengers to comment. So I'd be interested to side by side my car with some of these tester vehicles to see what the fuss is about, but of course that isn't going to happen. My direct point of comparison is my B9 Audi SQ5 which I just turned in at lease end for my X3M. It had the extremely comfortable air suspension which is basically the same on Macan, and the SQ5 did also handle well. Yes my X3M is more stiff compared to that luxury air ride but there is no loss of comfort IMO. If I'm the niche buyer for this vehicle then great, because I've been waiting since for them to make it since I sold my first E9x M3 in 2013!

My M3s were more harsh for sure. Comfortable at times but overly crashy at others with hits that were felt through the whole cabin. Road turtles (you know little round bumps) would rattle the whole car for me. My X3MC is much more compliant. It's stiff and rebound is quick but I never feel it is harsh if that makes sense. Those road turtles are damped. I think larger diameter tires is part of that but also it's just softer. I work in Seattle and the old broken roads are actually handled very well by my rig.

Regarding freeways, I'm on I-90 every day and east of 405 until HOV lane ends the road surface is terrible due to age and recent construction. This combined with sticky handling really pulls the steering making it finicky staying in lane. I completely blame road surface there. The pogo stick effect is severe eastbound between Bellevue way exit and 405 although that is the only place I experience it.

As I've said in other posts, this is the M car I've wanted and I think it's quite comfortable for an M, but it is not soft.
Appreciate 3
      06-05-2020, 09:50 AM   #74
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
What's in it for them to do it correctly though? nothing. They make a video, then they make another. It doesn't matter if they do things right.
They will learn and provide proper reviews if they want to continue to grow, if not they will loose attention or followers as they will be seen as a vlogger with little credibility as anyone can review a car.

And yes they will know and figure it out, these guys did -

10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 10:17 AM   #75
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR, e60 M5, e36 IP

The ride quality issue has been discussed extensively. There clearly is subjectivity. In addition, different owners have different tolerances for a relatively harsh ride for various reasons, including whether they use the car daily, the nature of that use, etc. I do think it is notable that an aftermarket spring option is gaining popularity whose main mission is to soften the ride. I don't recall that being demanded or offered for any other M car. Instead, aftermarket springs generally make the ride stiffer in order to enhance handling and/or lower the car.
Appreciate 2
DAC17170.50
Mehim76.50
      06-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #76
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichmond View Post
The ride quality issue has been discussed extensively. There clearly is subjectivity. In addition, different owners have different tolerances for a relatively harsh ride for various reasons, including whether they use the car daily, the nature of that use, etc. I do think it is notable that an aftermarket spring option is gaining popularity whose main mission is to soften the ride. I don't recall that being demanded or offered for any other M car. Instead, aftermarket springs generally make the ride stiffer in order to enhance handling and/or lower the car.
Yes and no. There are only two lowering spring options available atm, H&R and MSS. Many of us wanted to lower the car simply to make the car look more sporty. MSS was available first and is also height-adjustable, so many of us bought it. With that being said, I really like the ride of my MSS-equipped car. It’s now very soft in comfort mode and firm and sporty in sport plus. So zero regrets on my side.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 11:15 AM   #77
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
My M3s were more harsh for sure. Comfortable at times but overly crashy at others with hits that were felt through the whole cabin. Road turtles (you know little round bumps) would rattle the whole car for me. My X3MC is much more compliant. It's stiff and rebound is quick but I never feel it is harsh if that makes sense. Those road turtles are damped. I think larger diameter tires is part of that but also it's just softer. I work in Seattle and the old broken roads are actually handled very well by my rig.

Regarding freeways, I'm on I-90 every day and east of 405 until HOV lane ends the road surface is terrible due to age and recent construction. This combined with sticky handling really pulls the steering making it finicky staying in lane. I completely blame road surface there. The pogo stick effect is severe eastbound between Bellevue way exit and 405 although that is the only place I experience it.

As I've said in other posts, this is the M car I've wanted and I think it's quite comfortable for an M, but it is not soft.
Thank you for the feedback, this is rather assuring as I drive many of the same roads myself. I'm rather use to stiff vehicles coming from M vehicles and an Evo with 14kg Ohlins and that thing was STIFF. The road turtles, oh do I know what you speak of as well. I definitely don't want it soft or I'd buy an M40i, I want a vehicle that supplements all the traits of an M3 but I can drive nearly every day. Between my other M cars I always find them parked more than I like here in the PNW...500hp RWD and rain just never fully mix or at least fully enjoyable/usable.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #78
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
... I definitely don't want it soft or I'd buy an M40i, I want a vehicle that supplements all the traits of an M3 but I can drive nearly every day. Between my other M cars I always find them parked more than I like here in the PNW...500hp RWD and rain just never fully mix or at least fully enjoyable/usable.
Yeah this is why I've been waiting for the X3M. AWD M car (that is not X5M).
High horsepower RWD is super frustrating the majority of the time here.
Appreciate 1
dereksM3270.00
      06-05-2020, 07:09 PM   #79
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
... I definitely don't want it soft or I'd buy an M40i, I want a vehicle that supplements all the traits of an M3 but I can drive nearly every day. Between my other M cars I always find them parked more than I like here in the PNW...500hp RWD and rain just never fully mix or at least fully enjoyable/usable.
Quote:
Yeah this is why I've been waiting for the X3M. AWD M car (that is not X5M).
High horsepower RWD is super frustrating the majority of the time here.
This!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 11:59 PM   #80
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

OT: I since added a GC Trailhawk with a HEMI to the garage for outdoor duties and it has the air suspension. Although, it's comfortable the terrible dampening characteristics make me never want another air suspension vehicle. That and when you hit the large dips/expansion seams on I5 you feel like a pogo stick. Makes the wife and kid sick...might be good excuse to say hey I found the fix...trade both vehicles for X3M [/QUOTE]

As I've said in other posts, this is the M car I've wanted and I think it's quite comfortable for an M, but it is not soft.[/QUOTE]
I know that stretch of road, your description of it is spot on. Pushing my F80 to North Bend in heavy rain was white knuckle fun.
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 08:19 AM   #81
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEmpirE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Maybe the closest thing bmw offers to an RS6, if you're into wagons.
On point assessment. Which is why we got one. RS6 wagon will also be < 120k plus. And speaking of Audi...My Laser Red Stage 3 (550 HP) Avant was the featured car 🚗 in the “Audi An Avant Story” RS6 Launch film.....
Fun fact! Beauty!

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 10:58 AM   #82
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
It does though. Almost every single review or publication has mentioned the harsh ride and I agree with them after thoroughly driving one in the city, highway and suburbs.
Why are you bothered?

Those that have the car like the ride and are happy with the ride comfort/handling balance, you don't have one so you really don't need to worry about it...
DAC17170.50
AlexFL7836.00
      06-06-2020, 11:35 AM   #83
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
It does though. Almost every single review or publication has mentioned the harsh ride and I agree with them after thoroughly driving one in the city, highway and suburbs.
Why are you bothered?

Those that have the car like the ride and are happy with the ride comfort/handling balance, you don't have one so you really don't need to worry about it...
I was more bothered by the replies of people that say because its an M car it shouldn't have a nicer ride/suspension, which in my opinion shouldn't be the case at all, as M cars, especially crossovers are meant for street use and daily driving first and foremost, and you don't need a harsh suspension to have great handling.

Other than the ride, I really liked the X3M in many regards, probably one of the best/better BMW's of this era, my dealer gladly let me have one for an overnight test drive, and the M fixed the issue of the seats in the regular X3 that stopped me from getting a 30/40i, but in Baltimore City, which has s*** road and I commute/work through, as well as I typically transport my dog who is sensitive and he even threw up in the X3 (he usually never gets car sick in SUV's, but does in sedans/coupes) the ride just was too hard, it also didn't help that I drove my Father-In-Law's Macan a week earlier, which was very comfortable, other than that, there were many other aspects of the X3M I liked, great handling, strong engine (past the initial lag) a well built interior, and superior practicality to its rivals, shame that the ride killed the deal though.
Mehim76.50
      06-06-2020, 03:41 PM   #84
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
I was more bothered by the replies of people that say because its an M car it shouldn't have a nicer ride/suspension, which in my opinion shouldn't be the case at all, as M cars, especially crossovers are meant for street use and daily driving first and foremost, and you don't need a harsh suspension to have great handling.
That's the thing, I wouldn't call it "harsh". In Sport+ on a crap road, I probably would, but Comfort and Sport on a less-than-smooth road I'd describe as "firm" at worst.

My ZL1 with the mag ride was a little more plush, admittedly. This is more on par with my F80 M3, and better than my E90.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:28 AM   #85
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
Quote:
That's the thing, I wouldn't call it "harsh". In Sport+ on a crap road, I probably would, but Comfort and Sport on a less-than-smooth road I'd describe as "firm" at worst.

My ZL1 with the mag ride was a little more plush, admittedly. This is more on par with my F80 M3, and better than my E90.
So much is based on the tires too. Just going from my winters back to summers there was a huge difference.

But to me it's the same as my F80 and I expected that

Anyone who wants a comfort ride shouldn't be buying a M, or go buy a Mercedes as their AMG are softer.

I do think X3M sales will pick up when people cross shop it with new M3, X3M will be the better looking one 😁
Appreciate 3
      06-21-2020, 10:27 AM   #86
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Woot woot for Washington! I'm in Thurston County (but miss the amenities north).

Can't wait to comment on ride after it arrives. I'm going from an M40i. Wanted to hold out for M3 but grillgate killed that idea.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 06:52 PM   #87
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:

Other than the ride, I really liked the X3M in many regards, probably one of the best/better BMW's of this era, my dealer gladly let me have one for an overnight test drive, and the M fixed the issue of the seats in the regular X3 that stopped me from getting a 30/40i, but in Baltimore City, which has s*** road and I commute/work through, as well as I typically transport my dog who is sensitive and he even threw up in the X3 (he usually never gets car sick in SUV's, but does in sedans/coupes) the ride just was too hard, it also didn't help that I drove my Father-In-Law's Macan a week earlier, which was very comfortable, other than that, there were many other aspects of the X3M I liked, great handling, strong engine (past the initial lag) a well built interior, and superior practicality to its rivals, shame that the ride killed the deal though.
Yet here you are a merc driver bitching and moaning about a car you don't have on a forum dedicated to a brand you don't drive trying to convince owners that their ride isn't all of that.

Takes all sorts I guess...
DAC17170.50