BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-31-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
welkerbrads
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 white X3

Question Back up view camera

Does anyone know if the backup view camera can be installed at the dealer after the fact. I just got my X3 didn't order this option. I wish I had.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by welkerbrads View Post
Does anyone know if the backup view camera can be installed at the dealer after the fact. I just got my X3 didn't order this option. I wish I had.
Same here!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
Steven40
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0d F25

Same here but with topview, I tried the demo of the garage for a day end october last year and it was very easy to park.
I didn't take it on my car and regret it, it was extra assistance with PDC !
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
Santa69
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 M Sport

rear camera with topview

I asked my CA and he did not know if the cameras could be installed post production.

Topview is well worth it if you are parking in a small garage (like mine).

Bring on the X3M
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

I thought top view was a silly gimmick and wasn’t going to get it.
I ended ordering the tech package because of the delays for cars without Nav.
After using it, I’m amazed how helpful it is in tight spaces and parallel parking.
The backup camera view is excellent too.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

The rear-view camera and top view are nice but I wish they would show proximity/distance a little better. It works fine in most situations and normal parking spots but doesn't do very well in cramped quarters where every inch means the difference between hitting a wall or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Top view cannot be retrofitted for the time being, whereas reverse cam is available as a retrofit kit (in Europe at least).
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 12:02 AM   #8
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

Bummer if that is the case... Having the top view was really helpful for me just yesterday when I was backing out of a very crowded newly constructed driveway that had basically a cliff off the edge ( the area was sill under construction). Using the backup camera I couldn't quite see the edge, but going to top down view it was a breeze since I could see the border. Love having this feature now.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 01:16 AM   #9
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Top view cannot be retrofitted for the time being, whereas reverse cam is available as a retrofit kit (in Europe at least).
Is it a dealer retrofit or after-market part? Would you need need the parking sensors for it to work?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Is it a dealer retrofit or after-market part? Would you need need the parking sensors for it to work?
Dealer retrofit. U must have PDC in order to have reverse cam. PDC is also available as retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #11
F25TURBO
Rep
Drives: f25

I love the rear view camera feature, it leaves my buddies with their mouth open when they see it.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
smoothmoka
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Dealer retrofit. U must have PDC in order to have reverse cam. PDC is also available as retrofit.
Anybody know how much to retrofit?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
shaikh_sakib
Sak
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i

I am also looking for a retrofit for PDC and back up camera. Anyone do this in Toronto or New Jersey area and know where to go and how much. (live in Toronto but frequently travel to NJ/NYC)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #14
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
I thought top view was a silly gimmick and wasn’t going to get it.
I ended ordering the tech package because of the delays for cars without Nav.
After using it, I’m amazed how helpful it is in tight spaces and parallel parking.
The backup camera view is excellent too.
I didn't realize the X3 had it on first test drive - I test drove an Infiniti EX35 and the salesman was really pushing the top view - then I discovered the X3 has it w/ tech package - its an amazing feature - as someone said especially for parking in a small garage spot
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #15
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

I would love to have topview camera too if it's possible, or just rearview would be fine for me i guess.
I wonder if the wiring is already in place for rearview camera (not topview) retrofit or they have to tear apart the interior for that. I already have PDC.
Should have asked the dealer when I have my sunroof fixed.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #16
MAKE
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 20i

My X3 has rear view camera, but I was too late to update the order for the topview mirror mounted cameras. Does anyone know if they can be retrofitted in my case...is the wiring already in place in the wing mirrors and what will the hardware cost?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #17
ricardoyak
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d SE Mineral Silver

Rearview camera is on the UK accessories list

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKE View Post
My X3 has rear view camera, but I was too late to update the order for the topview mirror mounted cameras. Does anyone know if they can be retrofitted in my case...is the wiring already in place in the wing mirrors and what will the hardware cost?
Reversing camera is in the UK accessories brochure so looks like it can be fitted. No mention of top view so I would assume that it can't be fitted. I would imagine that the mirror housings are different as well as the possible lack of wiring.

I sympathise - it was the first thing I added after testing an XC60 (that didn't) and then an X3 that had the feature. Made it much easier to park in a tight space.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 05:52 AM   #18
MAKE
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 20i

Thanks for the update, wish I had read all the positive feedback before ordering
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #19
arod
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 - M Series

What does PDC stand for? What does retrofit mean? I have a 2012 X3 without the reverse/backup camera, but I have the BMW Navigation. What camera/camera's will work with my Navigation system and when I go into reverse, automatically switch to the camera?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 07:13 AM   #20
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod View Post
What does PDC stand for? What does retrofit mean? I have a 2012 X3 without the reverse/backup camera, but I have the BMW Navigation. What camera/camera's will work with my Navigation system and when I go into reverse, automatically switch to the camera?
PDC = Park Distance Control. *
PDC includes (8) Ultrasonic sensors (4 in each bumper cover) and the electronics to support their function. See your owners manual for more details. It's listed in the index as "PDC"

"Retrofit" means having an option installed after the car has left the factory (usually by a dealer). The cost of such an installation, if you can find a dealer who is willing to do it, is MANY times the cost of the option when ordered before the car is built.

The only back-up camera that will reasonably integrate with your existing display screen and work automatically is the BMW factory system (which requires that the car is equipped with PDC).

All of the aftermarket systems either use a separate display screen (so are complete "stand-alone" devices) or will require extensive physical and software "hacking" to attempt to use the existing display screen, which would almost certainly cause many potential problems.

I have the back-up camera option on our X3 and can't imagine driving (really parking) the car without it. For a vehicle with such a high rear window and limited rear visibility, it should be "standard equipment" on every one sold.

*You may also see "PCD" used on this Forum. It's not a typo. PCD means "Performance Center Delivery" which means you go to the factory to pick up your car and get to drive around on their track in a factory supplied vehicle. PCD is NOT required for the back-up camera.

Last edited by Lotus7; 11-29-2011 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #21
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

In additon to Lotus notes above (no pun intended) I can add: physically installing the OEM camera above the license plate in the tailgate is the easy part. I dont have a rear camera, nor care for one myself but I did look into it for the wife as a retrofit. I never established if the standard wire loom installed for F25 built without the camera option allow for video feed if a retrofit camera is installed later. In addition to the actual camera you must buy a video interface (box) but I am not sure if you need to rip out the trim to get a new cable from the back to front of the car. If someone can establish if the stnadard built cars (without factory fit camera) come with wire loom for the camera then retrofit installation could become a DIY job!!!! The other detail I am not sure of is the iDrive program - would that need a patch to 'see' the camera even when cabled correctly?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #22
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Have no idea if the rear camera cabling is installed on every vehicle, but it could probably be checked by digging around in the tailgate.

I'd be more concerned about getting into the video monitor and being accessible via iDrive. The display is fully integrated and combined with the PDC sensor display, which is obviously why PDC is a prerequisite of the camera installation.

It's a pretty sophisticated combined display with the rear view image, the various distance warning bands that appear , and the "object" warning "blocks", and the moving steering path projection arcs. It has to be a "bunch" of code (highly technical programming term) to do what it does. Since BMW is not going to supply access to the display system source code, it's extremely unlikely that anyone (independently) could develop a patch to get a camera to integrate into the display or get past the secure access to the system.

Certainly, if a dealer installed the hardware, they would probably have to do a complete "install" of the BMW code that included the [program] modules that support the PDC and back up camera.

Considering the cost, time and effort involved, a stand-alone, RF-linked system for a few hundred bucks looks a lot more practical. Of course, you have to find a place for the little monitor screen.
Appreciate 0