BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-13-2020, 08:12 AM   #89
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I don't think that's as good as what Audi and MB offer but I could live with this setup as although the dual tachs look a bit strange it's pretty straightforward. Problem is that everytime you start your car the display defaults to the counterintuitive regular display and you have to be in an M-mode to get that display. I don't understand why BMW is so restrictive with their LED displays as the competition offers far more customization of their LED screens.
I agree, I think Audi is still killing it when it comes to digital dash design (wow, alliteration).

I wonder if you can code the car to start in the appropriate mode for this gauge, similar to how the M40i can be coded to start in Sport. Or, just need to adjust your habit when you start the car. On my current car, whenever I get in and start it I just change it to Sport + mode. Muscle memory now, hardly even realize. It would be nice to code in to automatically do that, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
Now that is a MUCH better cluster above. It’s reads x3m in the center. Would be great if all the ///M cars get that above. That make me want to rip some gears.
That's what's coming to the '21 X3M and is already in the M8. I believe the M5 has something similar, too. I would expect all M cars with iD7 to have that gauge, right?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:25 AM   #90
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Penguin View Post
Quote:
I would be fine if my car came with ID7 but not going to lose any sleep over it as ID6 is amongst the best systems out there still. Worst thing will be the addition of silver buttons all over the interior. I thought that silver fad was over long ago.
Id6 is completely dated. I own both. Use both daily, id7 for its home screen alone is light years ahead.
But everything, including the cluster is better. You guys just arent used to the style.
Use it for a month then comment

If you use carplay they are no different. Ill give you that.
This is THE most appropriate comment in here.

I've said this before many times in this forum. The only single reason why I did not purchase a X3M was due to the old ID6.
And then all I got in response is that it was about the money, and you get so much more over the M40i. Bla bla.
It is definitely going to be a personal preference but all these comments about ID6 is still better and all leaves me scratching my head.
Appreciate 1
arube138.50
      02-13-2020, 08:26 AM   #91
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf44 View Post
Quote:
I don't think that's as good as what Audi and MB offer but I could live with this setup as although the dual tachs look a bit strange it's pretty straightforward. Problem is that everytime you start your car the display defaults to the counterintuitive regular display and you have to be in an M-mode to get that display. I don't understand why BMW is so restrictive with their LED displays as the competition offers far more customization of their LED screens.
I agree, I think Audi is still killing it when it comes to digital dash design (wow, alliteration).

I wonder if you can code the car to start in the appropriate mode for this gauge, similar to how the M40i can be coded to start in Sport. Or, just need to adjust your habit when you start the car. On my current car, whenever I get in and start it I just change it to Sport + mode. Muscle memory now, hardly even realize. It would be nice to code in to automatically do that, however.

Quote:
Now that is a MUCH better cluster above. It’s reads x3m in the center. Would be great if all the ///M cars get that above. That make me want to rip some gears.
That's what's coming to the '21 X3M and is already in the M8. I believe the M5 has something similar, too. I would expect all M cars with iD7 to have that gauge, right?
No way. Mercedes has the best digital dash setup currently, and had been a all around infotainment winner for the past couple years. Audi is a close second.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #92
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suby01 View Post
No way. Mercedes has the best digital dash setup currently, and had been a all around infotainment winner for the past couple years. Audi is a close second.
You might be right about that. Either way, both are kicking BMW's butt!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #93
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Audi>Merc>BMW
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      02-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #94
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

If we are talking digital dash, then for me it's Merc/Audi/BMW but the actual center screen, I would say BMW/MERC/AUDI. Idrive is the best, just the virtual cockpit that blows.
      02-13-2020, 09:44 AM   #95
daltonvaas
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC (on order)

Quote:
I find the Mercedes MBUX hard to use and garish to look at personally, don't rate it at all
Appreciate 1
dazzapb1045.50
      02-13-2020, 09:45 AM   #96
paulo_f80m3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01' E46 325i / 16' F80 M3

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I really don't think ID6 is outdated. It's a fantastic system. The ID7 looks fantastic buts it's still very unstable. You need to login to BMW Connected to set up profiles which is kinda annoying and keeping a phone paired is a nightmare but I'm sure they'll figure out the issues eventually.
      02-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #97
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonvaas View Post
I find the Mercedes MBUX hard to use and garish to look at personally, don't rate it at all
I think people here are confusing "nice to look at" versus "functional."

Have you actually tried to do anything on the MBUX interface (particularly while driving)? I'm an IT guy by trade and have worked with dozens of end-user system in my life and I really struggled to figure out how to use the system. Everything is buried 3 or 4 layers deep in a menu system. The "hey Mercedes" sometimes helps with that, but not always. Try to get the top-down camera on a new GLE or GLS to come on when you are are trying to avoid curbing your rims while parking. Unless you are already in reverse, there is no quick and easy way to do it.

On a BMW, you just press the camera button on the center console area, even if you are still moving forward. Yeah, it doesn't look as pretty, but you can get something done in a second without having to stop and take your eyes off the road to do it.

The newest Audi system is similar with all the touchscreen based stuff and no more hard buttons. Yeah it looks nice, but it is much more difficult to do things with.

When you have to take your eyes off the road to perform the simple tasks that you do multiple times during a drive session (climate control, media/radio, seat heating/ventilation, etc) that is a huge safety issue and a complete failure of user interface design.

save the touchscreens/menu systems for the rarely used functions. You know, the set it once and forget it things. Make sure there are quick shortcuts or better yet actual physical buttons on either the steering wheel, dash, or console (that can be found via muscle memory or tactile feedback) for the commonly used functions like HVAC controls, volume controls, etc.

Considering how distracted most of our drivers are already, we don't need to add even more distractions to the list.

iDrive still is the most functional of the 3 systems, though I do feel that BMW is starting to lose its way with iDrive 7. Due to marketing pressure (like many of the folks here talking about 7's superiority versus iDrive 6) they are trying to make the system "prettier" at the cost of functionality and ease-of-use.
Appreciate 3
heavyD^23684.00
Poochie9099.00
      02-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #98
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo_f80m3 View Post
I really don't think ID6 is outdated. It's a fantastic system. The ID7 looks fantastic buts it's still very unstable. You need to login to BMW Connected to set up profiles which is kinda annoying and keeping a phone paired is a nightmare but I'm sure they'll figure out the issues eventually.
As a BMW genius, I agree with you. ID6 is more than just an adequate system...it's still great. I was quite surprised they went away with it so quickly.
That being said, once you get the hang of ID7 it's pretty great with a few perks and alot more customization. The profile/login option however is quite annoying.
      02-13-2020, 10:54 AM   #99
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:

The '20 ///M5 has the reverse tach/ID7.
The '19 ///M5 has the the same tach as the '20 X3M (I have both).
my gut tells me the ID7 will be code-albe at some point to duplicate what's in the '21 X3M & M8 tach/ID7/virtual cockpit
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #100
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The '20 ///M5 has the reverse tach/ID7.
The '19 ///M5 has the the same tach as the '20 X3M (I have both).
my gut tells me the ID7 will be code-albe at some point to duplicate what's in the '21 X3M & M8 tach/ID7/virtual cockpit
So the '20 M5 does NOT have that center tach mode? Huh; I didn't know that.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:25 AM   #101
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Ugh this is a bummer. I was hoping they were going to wait until the 2021 models to update this and I could snag a late 2020 with the iD6. The customization is great but I find things are too buried in iD7. You can't easily access the HVAC settings with less than 3 or 4 clicks. I'd much rather have a better looking center cluster layout than customization and another annoying voice assistant in my life.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 1
SWOT1492.50
      02-13-2020, 11:30 AM   #102
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
Ugh this is a bummer. I was hoping they were going to wait until the 2021 models to update this and I could snag a late 2020 with the iD6. The customization is great but I find things are too buried in iD7. You can't easily access the HVAC settings with less than 3 or 4 clicks. I'd much rather have a better looking center cluster layout than customization and another annoying voice assistant in my life.
the '20 x3m does have id6
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:32 AM   #103
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So the '20 M5 does NOT have that center tach mode? Huh; I didn't know that.
Correct. I have no idea why bmw did this.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:09 PM   #104
PhrogFixer01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogFixer01 View Post
Put the lights on auto and be done. Why mess with it? Can't remember the last time I messed with a headlight button / switch other than putting it in "auto"... 🤷🏼
When at speed above 5 mph the driver cannot switch from auto to parking lights only during night driving; example - if you are driving back into your neighbor hood late and don’t want to light up houses. That is only one point behind having an actual manual switch. Further, the driver again has to take eyes off the road, & look to the lower left for something unnecessary. The auto “feature” works well as does an automatic slush-box. Put those switches in regular bmw’s...fine, but not ///M cars.
So have the ability to kill lights while rolling with loud exhaust... got it!
Retired: 2020 M340i xDrive
Retired: 2017 X5M
Retired: 2016 550i xDrive
Retired: 2015 X6 50i
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:24 PM   #105
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
It's pretty close between the MB and Audi for digital dash (the BMW one is disappointing for sure) but ID is a superior infotainment system especially over Audi's. The MBUX is good but the touchpad ruins things as the rotary dial is superior and its cumbersome navigating into sub menus. It's not just me as I haven't seen a C&D review of any 2020 MB where they flat out didn't hate MBUX.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:58 PM   #106
xacoffeemx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 320i, 2020 M340i

The biggest issue I have with my M340i is the HUD and how it doesn't really show much information even with the sports information displayed on it. It especially bothers me when the HUD switches over to the rev gauge but it doesn't even show you the RPM
Appreciate 1
Transfer5242.50
      02-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #107
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason60051 View Post
It's subjective but this new version is sooo busy and overwhelming at first glance. Hanging onto my f80 because I love the analog dials.
I thought so too, but it's completely fine after about 30 minutes of use. Also, the improvements to the infotainment far outweight any apprehensiveness about the digital gauge cluster. There's also a mode to simplify the gauge cluster screen to a minimalist format. IMO, they should also put in a theme for analog looking dials. The screen is good enough to where they'd look good.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 01:20 PM   #108
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xacoffeemx View Post
The biggest issue I have with my M340i is the HUD and how it doesn't really show much information even with the sports information displayed on it. It especially bothers me when the HUD switches over to the rev gauge but it doesn't even show you the RPM
The problem is most of us just use Carplay which makes the larger HUD kinda useless since it's largely used for show directions and stuff. Support for 2nd screen displays in CarPlay can't come soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #109
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

If I'm honest I would like the latest tech but having seen ID7 on the 3 I'm not so sure. However the M8 looks great - no doubt I'll still want it when I see it when the M guys have a go at it.

I had a s5 MY2017 with virtual cockpit. It was decent and fresh and a huge wow factor when I got it but google maps wasn't very smooth I think new versions have better GPUs though. Also it would default to a rubbish screen with no maps etc just tiny tach and Speedo. Defo room for improvement I imagine there was probably some software updates but I didn't get them on my lease.

The MMI was a bit rubbish and the screen tiny too compared to the x3m. Car play was very poorly integrated where bmw seemed to have this licked. I did the full screen hack and I am loving it.

I have the x3m on a 4 year deal I hope the tech doesn't date too much but I am liking the stop go and lane assist especially with HUD when using bmw nav only tho!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 03:11 PM   #110
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Is reverse rev counter really that counter i intuitive I would imagine I would get used to it pretty quickly. Also it's an auto maybe at most you just need shift light?
Appreciate 0