BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-22-2024, 12:35 AM   #1
Bluehairatwta
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Should I buy one?

Hello

First post here. Please don't bite. I've done some research, but I've never owned a BMW before. I've heard all of the horror stories about plastic parts, oil leaks, electronic sensors that would make the Space Shuttle look like a Cessna 150, the list goes on.

My wife loves Mercedes and BMW vehicles. I have found a 2007, two-owner from new X3 with 69,000 miles and a regular service history showing things like a new starter, transmission service, and a new coolant reservoir. It is in showroom condition with brand-new tires.

The price is a little under $7,000. Am I crazy? Should I run the other way? Or can I baby this thing and get a few more years out of it? We are snowbirds and this will be our car in Hawaii for 5 months of the year.

Please and Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 01:14 AM   #2
Bluehairatwta
Rep

Well, I bought it. In for a penny, in for a pound.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 10:54 PM   #3
SchonE91
Rep
Drives: ‘07 E91, ‘73 2002

Sounds like a well maintained and pampered car… low miles for a 17 year old car, but assume it’s always been on Oahu… wife’s happy… we’ll bought.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 10:59 PM   #4
Bluehairatwta
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 09:29 AM   #5
MADBMWX5MC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehairatwta View Post
Thanks!
Happy with purchase? Lets see some pics
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 02:19 AM   #6
chris55552
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW x3 35i 2012 E92 328XI

Personally, I love the first gen x3 2007-2010, perfect size, wonderful engine, and handles like a car. I had a 2010 but screwed up and traded it in for a 2017 F25 x3 M sport turbo etc and so on, and to be honest Id take the first gen anyday over it. Ended up selling it because I wasnt happy and now driving a e90 3 series contemplating buying another low mileage first gen x3. If you do the maintanance yourself youll save a ton..When I bought mine I didnt even know how to operate a hammer, but after spending lots of money on maintanance and upkeep I quickly learned how and now can pretty much do almost anything including repairs on that chasis and the e90 3 series. Invest in a good obd scanner or better yet bmw protool app and it will keep you in the drivers seat heading into the future with it. Change your oil no later that every 5k miles, not sure your mileage but make sure the transmission, transfer case and differentials all have good healthy fluid levels and just be proactive. Its not a bad idea to put money aside every month just in case something big breaks, and if not youll have a little side savings you can split with me....lol. Na just joking, but serious about being proactive, saving and just being a responsible owner. German engineering is fantastic but you have to remember BMW is all high performance and usually the higher the performance the more maintanace required. Im confident you and your wife will adore the x3 and wouldnt suprise me one bit if yall ended up fighting over the keys to it, its seriously that fun to drive in my opinion. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 12:13 AM   #7
Bluehairatwta
Rep

Update

So I liked the first X3 so much that I bought a second X3 for use at my other home. The second one I picked up cheap from an online auction. It had the ABS, Brake, and 4x4 light on as well as the airbag light.

I bought a new transfer case actuator motor and changed the fluid in the transfer case. The oil level was not reading, even after I changed the sending unit. When I replaced the actuator motor and cleared the codes, everything worked! The oil level now reads. The lights are all off, even the airbag. I have the seat occupancy emulator but I'm holding off on installing it now that the lights are all gone.

I also had to replace 2 bad coils that had a misfire. Easy DIY job! I will love this vehicle, especially since I did everything myself. I now have an X3 in great cosmetic shape that also runs great. It has the usual oil drips here and there, but not enough to be a problem. If I can get 2 years out of this thing, I will be very happy.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2024, 10:33 PM   #8
chris55552
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehairatwta View Post
So I liked the first X3 so much that I bought a second X3 for use at my other home. The second one I picked up cheap from an online auction. It had the ABS, Brake, and 4x4 light on as well as the airbag light.

I bought a new transfer case actuator motor and changed the fluid in the transfer case. The oil level was not reading, even after I changed the sending unit. When I replaced the actuator motor and cleared the codes, everything worked! The oil level now reads. The lights are all off, even the airbag. I have the seat occupancy emulator but I'm holding off on installing it now that the lights are all gone.

I also had to replace 2 bad coils that had a misfire. Easy DIY job! I will love this vehicle, especially since I did everything myself. I now have an X3 in great cosmetic shape that also runs great. It has the usual oil drips here and there, but not enough to be a problem. If I can get 2 years out of this thing, I will be very happy.
Im shopping for another e83 now between 2007-2010. Im thinking probably a 2008 3.0si, that one drove better than my previous 2010 but then again my 2010 had a dead mechatronics unit and the transmission wasnt smooth. Trying to find one with a smooth auto box.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2024, 10:36 PM   #9
chris55552
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchonE91 View Post
Sounds like a well maintained and pampered car… low miles for a 17 year old car, but assume it’s always been on Oahu… wife’s happy… we’ll bought.
Man I would love to visit Oahu one day, I would love to be there when a big swell hits and see how wild pipeline gets, maybe go to an Eddie contest. Not a surfer but wish I was and I find big ocean wave energy fascinating.
Appreciate 0