BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-26-2018, 01:13 PM   #155
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Which app are you using to track the build?
I wrote a script to check status hourly on my computer and then send a text message to my iPhone and Apple Watch whenever the status changes. Basically it scrapes the data from the website. Sadly, their website isn’t 100% reliable — sometimes the garage won’t load — so a big part of the script is dealing with that. If the site behaved consistently it would be a lot easier.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #156
r3t1cal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith97321 View Post
Hello,

My week 31 build (2019 X3 M40i - Loaded) entered production 'Production Begins' and I have a VIN number. When I use a VIN decoder, it does not recognize the number. Anyone have any idea how long it takes the databases to get updated?

Thanks in Advance
I got my VIN on Monday and it seems to depend on what your using to look up your VIN.

https://www.dmv.org/vehicle-history/vin-decoder.php - Found it

https://www.bmwvin.com/ - Did Not

https://www.bmwusa.com/owners-manuals.html - Nothing Yet

If you scroll up on this form page you'll see the Yobyot was able to lookup the manual a couple weeks after production started and darrylo a couple weeks after it was built. Not sure if darrylo means from the start of production or once production was completed, but I'd wager things will come up in 2 - 3 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #157
r3t1cal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
I wrote a script to check status hourly on my computer and then send a text message to my iPhone and Apple Watch whenever the status changes. Basically it scrapes the data from the website. Sadly, their website isn’t 100% reliable — sometimes the garage won’t load — so a big part of the script is dealing with that. If the site behaved consistently it would be a lot easier.
While I love there new production tracking, the garage constantly gets stuck in a reload loop for me. I have to turn off uBlock and needed to whitelist their address in my PiHole but it still occurs.

It seems to work much better when I use Safari on my iPhone though!

Would you consider sharing the script you wrote? Would save me the time of constantly opening up the tracker
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #158
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

The DMV is just using standardized information to give you general information.. but they obviously can't decode the last 7 of the VIN and give you any useful information like mdecoder.com will once you're actual build data is shared downstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3t1cal View Post
I got my VIN on Monday and it seems to depend on what your using to look up your VIN.

https://www.dmv.org/vehicle-history/vin-decoder.php - Found it

https://www.bmwvin.com/ - Did Not

https://www.bmwusa.com/owners-manuals.html - Nothing Yet

If you scroll up on this form page you'll see the Yobyot was able to lookup the manual a couple weeks after production started and darrylo a couple weeks after it was built. Not sure if darrylo means from the start of production or once production was completed, but I'd wager things will come up in 2 - 3 weeks.

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #159
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
For me, I was able to see the manual a couple weeks after production was done. However, when I ordered my x30i, the BMW website was virtually useless for production status, and it sounds like it's been much improved. Back then, the BMW status phone number worked better.

I hope your delivery experience is better than mine, though. After my x30i was built, it sat somewhere for ~2.5 weeks, waiting for transport (to the west coast). After that, transport to the Oxnard PDC and my dealer took almost another 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #160
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
While I love there new production tracking, the garage constantly gets stuck in a reload loop for me. I have to turn off uBlock and needed to whitelist their address in my PiHole but it still occurs.

It seems to work much better when I use Safari on my iPhone though!

Would you consider sharing the script you wrote? Would save me the time of constantly opening up the tracker
What computer/OS are you running? I wrote this with an AppleScript for a Mac since it involves emulating some mouse clicks to login. It's normally possible to do without mouse clicks by calling Javascript actions directly, but because of BMW's lousy website, that hasn't been reliable.

I see the same endless loop sometimes. Other times it loops 3-4 times and gets in. Sometimes it works right away. Sometimes clearing BMW cookies helps. It's never reliable or consistent across any of my computers or devices. I sent in a complaint to the genius e-mail with some debug information, and they kind of blew me off. I think if more people complained they might take it seriously. Since I have seen it on Mac, PC, and iPhone browsers, including Safari, FireFox, and Chrome, I think it' obvious they have a problem on their end.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 07:33 AM   #161
Theclaudias
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2019 X3M40i my deal

Ok, first post here. Wanted to give all you wheelers and dealers a new deal to strive for! We just placed order last night. Trading in my husbands 2015 X335i.

Dark Graphite Metallic, Mocha ventilated seats, 20” bi-color wheels, dark oak trim, every package, Harmon Kardon, wireless charging, adaptive suspension

2019 X3M40i
Msrp $67,720
Rebates/incentives -$4000
Dealer discount -$7320
Sale price $56,400
Just about 16.75% off Msrp
Also got great trade in on 2015

Expected to start production in next week!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 07:51 AM   #162
wklnj101
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 sDrive

Great Deal

Can you share the dealer and sales rep? i am very close to order 2019 m40i as well.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2018, 08:19 AM   #163
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

What rebates came out to 4,000? I'm guessing a finance offer?

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #164
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'm having a hard time understanding how some dealers are committing to rebates on 2019 orders (X30i and M40i) when nothing has been announced yet. I wonder if they are gambling they will be rolled over.

There are rebates on the 2019 S30i models but those have been on the lots for several months now, so it's a different set of rebates and not applicable to X30i and M40i models.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 09:36 AM   #165
Theclaudias
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike View Post
What rebates came out to 4,000? I'm guessing a finance offer?
Rebates and incentives were:
Loyalty
Fleet (my husbands employer makes parts used in x3s)
Finance (financed for a couple months to qualify for incentive)
Appreciate 1
pcmike144.00
      07-27-2018, 09:42 AM   #166
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding how some dealers are committing to rebates on 2019 orders (X30i and M40i) when nothing has been announced yet. I wonder if they are gambling they will be rolled over.

There are rebates on the 2019 S30i models but those have been on the lots for several months now, so it's a different set of rebates and not applicable to X30i and M40i models.
Several of us had orders in for 2018 M40s that were cancelled by BMWNA and rolled into 2019 orders and all our initial rebates/incentives were rolled over. The only thing that wasn't rolled over was MF/residual and that actually increased, but then BMWFS backpedalled and reverted everything back for July so we were able to again lock in the 0.00166/58%. Certain markets also saw the Costco rebate and some others come back into play this month.

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #167
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike View Post
Several of us had orders in for 2018 M40s that were cancelled by BMWNA and rolled into 2019 orders and all our initial rebates/incentives were rolled over. The only thing that wasn't rolled over was MF/residual and that actually increased, but then BMWFS backpedalled and reverted everything back for July so we were able to again lock in the 0.00166/58%. Certain markets also saw the Costco rebate and some others come back into play this month.
I am aware of that and glad BMW is being fair about it for folks who had their 2018 orders cancelled. But for new 2019 orders out of the blue, seems like it's a gamble to depend on incentives that aren't announced yet. My dealer was upfront about it, saying whatever incentives available at time of delivery would go on top of the previous deal/discount. I am hoping/assuming there will be something (at least loyalty) but BMW hasn't put out any details yet.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #168
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i, 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebecky View Post
Ok, first post here. Wanted to give all you wheelers and dealers a new deal to strive for! We just placed order last night. Trading in my husbands 2015 X335i.

Dark Graphite Metallic, Mocha ventilated seats, 20” bi-color wheels, dark oak trim, every package, Harmon Kardon, wireless charging, adaptive suspension

2019 X3M40i
Msrp $67,720
Rebates/incentives -$4000
Dealer discount -$7320
Sale price $56,400
Just about 16.75% off Msrp
Also got great trade in on 2015

Expected to start production in next week!
how are you getting so much discount off msrp.. i'm only getting about 6% in my area.
      07-27-2018, 10:15 PM   #169
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
I was thinking about buying a 2019 sX3 but the quote the dealer gave me on incentives were actually based of 2018 models. He said they will not know what BMW is offering until August 3. I'm almost thinking I should just wait a few days and see what they're offering, then decide whether I should just buy the one they have on the lot or build one. He said the build time is about 5 weeks.

One of the other things I'm contemplating is whether or not to lease instead of purchase. Since they are not offering MSDs in the Southern region and I'm not going to just throw money away on a deposit the monthly lease payment is slightly less than purchase on a 3 year term.
      07-28-2018, 08:28 AM   #170
Theclaudias
Rep

Garage List
The art of the deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
how are you getting so much discount off msrp.. i'm only getting about 6% in my area.
I go back and forth between several dealerships, always hoping to purchase from my favorite (best sales and service customer service), but willing to buy elsewhere if the deal is better.
Mention what you have seen others getting in forums, tell them you have a need to get the best deal.
Take your time. We used to lease, and I find the deals usually better when trading in. Especially if they know you will not buy another brand. Make sure you tell them you are also checking out the sq5 and your husband/wife really wants the Mercedes.
I use my husband as the bad guy if I have to. Example: I really want this car, but my husband doesn’t like it, thinks it’s way too expensive so I need an amazing deal or he won’t agree. My husband wants to buy from other dealership, but I prefer yours. I need a special deal to convince him...
At the end, before you agree to the already amazing deal, go into showroom, tell salesperson “ ok, I will sign right now if they can find another $200/$500... If they say no, and you are satisfied with the deal, tell them “ok, but add all weather mats, or some other small dealer added thing you may want.
I love this stuff!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #171
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just don't let the interest erode away your finance incentive. Nice deal either way.

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #172
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I go back and forth between several dealerships, always hoping to purchase from my favorite (best sales and service customer service), but willing to buy elsewhere if the deal is better.
Mention what you have seen others getting in forums, tell them you have a need to get the best deal.
Take your time. We used to lease, and I find the deals usually better when trading in. Especially if they know you will not buy another brand. Make sure you tell them you are also checking out the sq5 and your husband/wife really wants the Mercedes.
I use my husband as the bad guy if I have to. Example: I really want this car, but my husband doesn’t like it, thinks it’s way too expensive so I need an amazing deal or he won’t agree. My husband wants to buy from other dealership, but I prefer yours. I need a special deal to convince him...
At the end, before you agree to the already amazing deal, go into showroom, tell salesperson “ ok, I will sign right now if they can find another $200/$500... If they say no, and you are satisfied with the deal, tell them “ok, but add all weather mats, or some other small dealer added thing you may want.
I love this stuff!
Sounds exhausting. I just wait them out. Plant a seed, then wait for them to come back to me. I’ve never felt the absolute need to buy a new car, but I’ve seen every single dealer get borderline desperate to make a sale one way or another. Their motivation will always be greater than mine, so I let them do all the work. When the deal crosses my target zone, we’re done. Last three BMWs I bought, it was all done by email and I didn’t set foot in the dealership until delivery. But really, to me the trick is to play cool and let the dealer build up steam. If you the buyer are motivated to buy a new car, it takes away some leverage. Always let the dealer be more motivated.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 09:39 AM   #173
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
I use my husband as the bad guy if I have to. Example: I really want this car, but my husband doesn't like it, thinks it's way too expensive so I need an amazing deal or he won't agree. My husband wants to buy from other dealership, but I prefer yours. I need a special deal to convince him...
At the end, before you agree to the already amazing deal, go into showroom, tell salesperson " ok, I will sign right now if they can find another $200/$500... If they say no, and you are satisfied with the deal, tell them "ok, but add all weather mats, or some other small dealer added thing you may want.
I love this stuff!
Quote:
Quote:
I use my husband as the bad guy if I have to. Example: I really want this car, but my husband doesn't like it, thinks it's way too expensive so I need an amazing deal or he won't agree. My husband wants to buy from other dealership, but I prefer yours. I need a special deal to convince him...
At the end, before you agree to the already amazing deal, go into showroom, tell salesperson " ok, I will sign right now if they can find another $200/$500... If they say no, and you are satisfied with the deal, tell them "ok, but add all weather mats, or some other small dealer added thing you may want.
I love this stuff!
What a waste of energy! And wouldn't you expect that the salespeople have heard every variation of this story — and countless others?

The wisdom in this approach is to focus relentlessly on the price. Price first. Price all the time. And keep asking for more. There's no need to couple it with a rationale; the dealer knows you want their best price.

People who play games make it more difficult for those of us who just want to negotiate hard. This is why dealers play games back, why the whole experience is contrived and manipulative.

I like it better in cultures where price negotiation is the norm and people don't need excuses to ask for more discount.

Bargain hard. But cut the crap.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #174
Theclaudias
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
What a waste of energy! And wouldn't you expect that the salespeople have heard every variation of this story — and countless others?

The wisdom in this approach is to focus relentlessly on the price. Price first. Price all the time. And keep asking for more. There's no need to couple it with a rationale; the dealer knows you want their best price.

People who play games make it more difficult for those of us who just want to negotiate hard. This is why dealers play games back, why the whole experience is contrived and manipulative.

I like it better in cultures where price negotiation is the norm and people don't need excuses to ask for more discount.

Bargain hard. But cut the crap.
The guy asked me how I got over 16% off of msrp. you Do you. I am happy with the deal I was able to negotiate. What was your deal?

Last edited by Theclaudias; 07-28-2018 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #175
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

My approach is to just know all the numbers and tell them up front what I'm willing to accept. If they're not down for it, next. I'll find someone who wants my money. Once I find that someone, I'll give the first guy the option to "make it right" and if he still passes, I'll just get the car where they gave me the best TOTAL deal (taking into account shipping and/or time wasted to collect the car, etc).

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 2
      07-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #176
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

I think I've discovered why I got 15% off MSRP on my MY19 M40i. And it's not due to my negotiating skills.

Suppose you're a BMW dealer and you want upcoming model year cars to be more competitive in your market. You might triage allocation slots by letting them go into production in the near future against selling them to a customer. Worst case, you configure the build with what you expect to sell long before it goes 150, take the car into inventory and pay floor plan on it.

Best case, you get someone like me before it's too late to change the build who wants a custom build. You can save on floor plan and book the sale months earlier. That might help with future allocation and also makes the month it was sold in better than it would have otherwise been.

That's one possible explanation for what we see here. My car was ordered by the dealer on July 4 -- two weeks before I bought it on July 22. This squares with my surprise on that Sunday, when I was shopping by phone, this dealer responded to my spreadsheet build with a vehicle inquiry report that was already 112. Other dealers had input the build I asked for bids on, but none were at 112. See the attached image, which is what the salesperson gave me today when I asked for confirmation of a week 33 build. The dealer let this allocation go to 112 three days before I bought it.

What this means is that the dealers have more information about supply and demand than we do. (Surprise!) And they'll use it anyway they can. In this case, to minimize finance charges for a vehicle, make their monthly BMW-assigned quota (note the "quota" field on the report) and/or get an incremental sale from a custom build.

It can also explain why I (and the woman who likes to play games) got such "great" deals while other dealers, who might be happier to take inventory onto their books, aren't offering as much discount.

My takeaway from this: ask the dealer to input the build, give you the output and if it's 112, bargain harder than ever.
Attached Images

Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22

Last edited by Yobyot; 07-28-2018 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0