BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-09-2022, 01:48 PM   #67
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i LCI

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Unfortunately the instructions I’ve now been sent don’t even appear to be for an X3 LCI and all the wiring appears to be plug and play with no bare pinned wires. I’ve messaged the seller but I’m beginning to think I’m not going to be getting anywhere with them.

The videos posted in this thread show two bare pinned wires and a supplied plug to re pin an original plug and then connect using the supplied plug the remaining bare pinned wires together.

Anyone else who has fitted these buttons let me know if their kit came with 3 bare pinned wires and if so where they go please?
2022 X3 M40i LCI. Brooklyn Grey Metallic. Driving Assistant Professional. Black with Blue Stitching Vernasca Leather M Seats. Comfort Pack. Pano Roof. Carbon Fibre Interior Trim, inc. seat backs. 21” 718 Alloys. Blue M Sport Callipers. Anniversary badges. Floating centre caps. Performance flow through rear spoiler. Front splitter. Carbon mirror caps. OEM carbon steering wheel trim. G80 carbon paddle shifters.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 12:32 PM   #68
Shaninnik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun170 View Post
Unfortunately the instructions I’ve now been sent don’t even appear to be for an X3 LCI and all the wiring appears to be plug and play with no bare pinned wires. I’ve messaged the seller but I’m beginning to think I’m not going to be getting anywhere with them.

The videos posted in this thread show two bare pinned wires and a supplied plug to re pin an original plug and then connect using the supplied plug the remaining bare pinned wires together.

Anyone else who has fitted these buttons let me know if their kit came with 3 bare pinned wires and if so where they go please?
Yep, exactly. Do you have plugs in your kit? For LCI it is super easy, there are only two plugs coming out of the shifter, one big with more than 20 wires and another small, so if I remember correctly you take out wire number 12 from the big plug, replace it with one of the pinned wires, insert the original wire into one of the supplied plugs to connect with the other pinned wire from the harness that come with the kit. Then you take out small plug from your shifter, connect it to harness and connect harness to shifter... So basically what you are doing is adding this module in between shifter and wherever wires from the shifter goes. All plugs are unique so it is impossible to mess up. I can get some photos of how I did it if you get stuck.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2022, 12:38 PM   #69
Shaninnik
Private
Rep

But unfortunately, as have been mentioned in this thread, moving seat and windows are PAIN to deal with, I am thinking of uninstalling this module. It is a shame because buttons themselves work perfectly, if only there was a way to disable moving seat
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2022, 03:44 PM   #70
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaninnik View Post
Yep, exactly. Do you have plugs in your kit? For LCI it is super easy, there are only two plugs coming out of the shifter, one big with more than 20 wires and another small, so if I remember correctly you take out wire number 12 from the big plug, replace it with one of the pinned wires, insert the original wire into one of the supplied plugs to connect with the other pinned wire from the harness that come with the kit. Then you take out small plug from your shifter, connect it to harness and connect harness to shifter... So basically what you are doing is adding this module in between shifter and wherever wires from the shifter goes. All plugs are unique so it is impossible to mess up. I can get some photos of how I did it if you get stuck.
Thanks for the reply. This is what I’ve been sent from the seller. I have 3 wires to re pin in the big connector.
Attached Images

2022 X3 M40i LCI. Brooklyn Grey Metallic. Driving Assistant Professional. Black with Blue Stitching Vernasca Leather M Seats. Comfort Pack. Pano Roof. Carbon Fibre Interior Trim, inc. seat backs. 21” 718 Alloys. Blue M Sport Callipers. Anniversary badges. Floating centre caps. Performance flow through rear spoiler. Front splitter. Carbon mirror caps. OEM carbon steering wheel trim. G80 carbon paddle shifters.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 09:01 PM   #71
Shaninnik
Private
Rep

Oh, yours is completely different, very interesting. But looks easy as well. Instead of just taking one wire 12 out of big plug you take three wires out - 10, 12 and 11 and insert them into supplied 3 pin plug (A) that then connects to harness (B) and then you take three bare pin wires coming from the harness and insert them in place of the original wires you just taken out.
Appreciate 1
Shaun1701073.50
      11-11-2022, 03:12 AM   #72
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaninnik View Post
Oh, yours is completely different, very interesting. But looks easy as well. Instead of just taking one wire 12 out of big plug you take three wires out - 10, 12 and 11 and insert them into supplied 3 pin plug (A) that then connects to harness (B) and then you take three bare pin wires coming from the harness and insert them in place of the original wires you just taken out.
Yes exactly that. Not difficult, just a little daunting that the translation from the seller is correct and the pins will be going into the correct locations!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 03:17 PM   #73
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
Fitted today. Was very simple in the end really, took about an hour to do. I would say easier looking than other kits out there. Far less plugging and unplugging to do. Re pinned the original single plug under the shifter with the wireless module. Steering wheel for me was easy to do as I’ve already replaced the trim for carbon and replaced the paddles with G80 ones so I knew where all the screws were to get the trim off. Other than a connection issue of my own doing it went really well.

So this kit only changes the drive mode, it doesn’t change the levels within each mode like others I’ve seen. So you can scroll between Eco Comfort and Sport that’s it. Can’t adjust between individual or sport plus or standard. Which is fine for me as I normally drive around in Eco but then like Sport Plus occasionally, now to change is a simple two button press on the steering wheel rather than look or fumble around down by the shifter (although I was told today that voice activation can be used to change the modes) If you press the M buttons more than once too quickly it doesn’t change, maybe confuses the wireless side of it perhaps?
It also doesn’t move the seat on ignition off or close the windows which is also good as I didn’t want that anyway and it didn’t come with the two silver lower steering wheel trim pieces which again was ok for me as I didn’t need them.

It also looks good in my opinion. Overall I’m pleased.

£81.12 25% Off | For BMW new 3 Series g20 g28 5 Series g30 g38 M1M2 button x3 x4 X5X6 steering wheel cover modified driving mode switching module
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMJ68nm

This was the only seller who could guarantee the correct top trim part with the long fixing tabs. When I questioned where some wiring and the silver trims were as shown in the pictures, seller said they were just stock photos and not representative of the X3 kit. Seller was very helpful with tips and instructions on fitting.
Attached Images

Last edited by Shaun170; 11-12-2022 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 05:56 PM   #74
ZHSD001A
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Fitted today. Was very simple in the end really, took about an hour to do. I would say easier looking than other kits out there. Far less plugging and unplugging to do. Re pinned the original single plug under the shifter with the wireless module. Steering wheel for me was easy to do as I’ve already replaced the trim for carbon and replaced the paddles with G80 ones so I knew where all the screws were to get the trim off. Other than a connection issue of my own doing it went really well.

So this kit only changes the drive mode, it doesn’t change the levels within each mode like others I’ve seen. So you can scroll between Eco Comfort and Sport that’s it. Can’t adjust between individual or sport plus or standard. Which is fine for me as I normally drive around in Eco but then like Sport Plus occasionally, now to change is a simple two button press on the steering wheel rather than look or fumble around down by the shifter (although I was told today that voice activation can be used to change the modes) If you press the M buttons more than once too quickly it doesn’t change, maybe confuses the wireless side of it perhaps?
It also doesn’t move the seat on ignition off or close the windows which is also good as I didn’t want that anyway and it didn’t come with the two silver lower steering wheel trim pieces which again was ok for me as I didn’t need them.

£81.12 25% Off | For BMW new 3 Series g20 g28 5 Series g30 g38 M1M2 button x3 x4 X5X6 steering wheel cover modified driving mode switching module

This was the only seller who could guarantee the correct top trim part with the long fixing tabs. When I questioned where some wiring and the silver trims were as shown in the pictures, seller said they were just stock photos and not representative of the X3 kit. Seller was very helpful with tips and instructions on fitting.
Is this the OEM M Performance Steering Wheel? They look really awesome. Btw how much are one of this? Must be super expensive
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 02:36 AM   #75
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHSD001A View Post
Is this the OEM M Performance Steering Wheel? They look really awesome. Btw how much are one of this? Must be super expensive
The M steering wheel comes as standard on a UK M40i. I’ve fitted the carbon trim and G80 carbon paddles.

This is how it came from the factory
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 02:06 AM   #76
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Quote:
Can’t adjust between individual or sport plus or standard.
So for Eco and Sport modes, it just goes to whatever was last set to (eg. individual, standard, plus) in those modes, when cycling through them?
Appreciate 2
      11-27-2022, 07:57 AM   #77
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
So for Eco and Sport modes, it just goes to whatever was last set to (eg. individual, standard, plus) in those modes, when cycling through them?
Yes after using it I have realised that. Which is perfect for my needs.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 04:34 PM   #78
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes after using it I have realised that. Which is perfect for my needs.
Okay, thanks. The Mr. WJ car parts Store in AliExpress as you said, seem to be most "responsive" with support requests, at least seem to "guarantee" what the outcome will be on g01 x3's, LCI and pre-LCI.

FWIW, I'm going to take a little different route, with just purchasing the electronic "modules" only from him, since i've already sourced the brand new OEM M1/M2 buttons, and going CF top cover from AutoTecknic.
Appreciate 2
      01-07-2023, 05:41 PM   #79
js_orifici
Confused
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I'll add mine to this thread if people need references. Easy from ordering to install. It added comfort access and I guess the windows will auto close at the end of a trip now

01-16-2023, 04:45 AM   #80
Armonica
Private
Rep
Drives: E87 118d, E92 320d, G01 M40i

Garage List
2005 E87  [0.00]
I'm looking for this retrofit, it's exactly what i want for mode handling but I found X3M steering wheel by ~650$ and doubt if it's good alternative.

More expensive but
- Not require to do nothing over the center console.
- Require coding but you get same M buttons as X3M.
- You can resell the original steering wheel (w/o airbag).

Cracy idea or worth it?
Attached Images

Last edited by Armonica; 01-16-2023 at 05:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 08:27 AM   #81
js_orifici
Confused
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armonica View Post
I'm looking for this retrofit, it's exactly what i want for mode handling but I found X3M steering wheel by ~650$ and doubt if it's good alternative.

More expensive but

Cracy idea or worth it?
Nah I wouldn't bother with it. It was either here or on the F80 forums that someone said the Ms have a module that we can't code in for the buttons, it's more a different software/hardware piece we don't have. Plus, the headache of trying to sell another wheel isn't worth what you might recoup.

The install of the retrofit is way easier than most people think. Center console pops off in like 2 pulls and the whole install can take a half hour. Plus, I kind of prefer having the buttons switch driving modes instead of just a driving preset like they are on the Ms.
      01-24-2023, 12:43 AM   #82
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armonica View Post

More expensive but

Cracy idea or worth it?
If you can score the factory M1/M2 buttons and the top cover alone, then FWIW using it instead of the one that comes in aliexpress kit, seem "better" quality (maybe my eyes are just deceiving me, with the paint quality and material feel). Initially i had thought they are about equal, but after closer look, the OEM looks lot nicer, probably for a good reason. FYI, there are few sellers in aliexpress that will sell the modules only (with the circuit boards to go inside the factory M1/M2 buttons). Just an idea.
Appreciate 2
ocdx30.00
      01-24-2023, 12:46 AM   #83
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by js_orifici View Post
I kind of prefer having the buttons switch driving modes instead of just a driving preset like they are on the Ms.
Completely agree, just feel bit more natural along with the paddles, all placed by the wheel. Maybe the use of M1/M2 label is bit gimmicky..
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2023, 05:28 AM   #84
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
Completely agree, just feel bit more natural along with the paddles, all placed by the wheel. Maybe the use of M1/M2 label is bit gimmicky..
The M stands for memory. So memory button 1 memory button 2. I don’t think it has to do with BMW M as in M for motorsport.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2023, 02:45 PM   #85
davfer86
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 m40i

Good afternoon... do you have the right parts needed to get my steering wheel like yours?

Carbon Fiber trim
Shifters
M1/M2 Buttons

Just mine is left driving side.

Thank you

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 03:29 PM   #86
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davfer86 View Post
Good afternoon... do you have the right parts needed to get my steering wheel like yours?

Carbon Fiber trim
Shifters
M1/M2 Buttons

Just mine is left driving side.

Thank you

Trim - BMW 32302471439
Shifters - AE https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOgIwqK (type C gloss)
M1/M2 buttons - AE https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLomt6e
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 09:32 AM   #87
speedsnice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Has anyone installed the modules utilizing the OEM buttons instead of the buttons that come with the kit?
      01-25-2023, 10:19 AM   #88
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsnice View Post
Has anyone installed the modules utilizing the OEM buttons instead of the buttons that come with the kit?
I’m not sure it would work. The wiring for the buttons connects to the wireless sender that sends the signal to the box of tricks that plugs into the buttons in the centre console. Without the kit buttons I’m guessing the wireless sender won’t get supplied? The OEM buttons might have different wiring and possibly connectors. Can you tell from the photos I posted of my kit?
Appreciate 0