BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Unhappy X3 M40i OWNERS - DOES YOUR CAR FEEL LIKE IT PULLS IN THE BACK ON HIGHWAYS?

Being in los angeles, we have mostly grooved highway roads and what I am experiencing is uncomfortable. It feels like it pulls from side to side, giving you a driving feeling that is not secure. Like you could be going into the next lane, while driving at a freeway speed of 60-80 mph.

Does any of your cars, at highway speeds, have this issue?
      07-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Maybe you are feeling lane keep assist that kicks in at 70 kph.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
Maybe you are feeling lane keep assist that kicks in at 70 kph.
Did not get that feature..
      07-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #4
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Which wheels/tires did you get. Max Performance tires can tramline on grooved roads.
Appreciate 1
dskurth41.50
      07-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #5
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I’m in San Diego and I’ve felt a similar pull/wander on grooved concrete freeways at same speeds. No pull on smooth asphalt. I have 19 in rims with Bridgestone Alenza 245/50 tires; same size front and rear. No DA or DA+ options.
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 1
dskurth41.50
      07-09-2018, 04:50 PM   #6
wrussell1992
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CP

Live in SF and have the same issue with the 19" all seasons on grooved highways - the pull is not consistent and seems to wobble left and right. Fine on normal paved asphalt, just some sections of the grooved concrete make the pull act up.
Appreciate 1
dskurth41.50
      07-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #7
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

A lot of wide, low-profile tyred cars that have slightly firmer suspension have this characteristic. it’s physics... roll thin disc across a smooth surface and it’ll follow a smooth course; rolling a cylinder you’ll see that even a slight surface discrepancy will cause it deviate. If it changes direction one section of the cylinder will roll over the surface either faster or slower than the other end, depending on where it’s gripping. Wide tyres do the same. Unless the road surface is perfectly level and perfectly flat wide tyres can be skittish.
Appreciate 1
dskurth41.50
      07-09-2018, 09:40 PM   #8
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i Dark Graphite Cogn

I've experienced this as well, like strong winds pushing against the car and someone stated in another thread that they solved this problem by simply pumping more air into the tires, I believe it was +4 PSI over the sticker number.

I haven't done this yet because I don't commute on the highways except sometimes on the weekends for family visits. I'll be sure to give it a try before my next highway trip.
      07-10-2018, 07:36 AM   #9
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayf30 View Post
I've experienced this as well, like strong winds pushing against the car and someone stated in another thread that they solved this problem by simply pumping more air into the tires, I believe it was +4 PSI over the sticker number. I haven't done this yet because I don't commute on the highways except sometimes on the weekends for family visits. I'll be sure to give it a try before my next highway trip.
When using Interstates for long trips I keep our 19" Yokohama performance RFTs at 36F/40R cold PSI, which translates to actual values at ~79mph of 41/45 PSI, depending on ambient temp. Internal tire temps seem to run about 35 degrees above ambient temps, give or take. [data from https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...1440682&page=5 ]

We haven't noticed this tracking issue, so it seems possible this higher pressure and narrower tire play a role. Previous vehicles we've owned with wider tires did suffer from that issue, though, which is one reason we've gone with narrower tires on subsequent vehicle purchases.
Appreciate 1
dskurth41.50
      07-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #10
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Possibly have the dealer check the alignment. If the rear toe is out, it could cause instability.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #11
gordonyz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW

has to do with tire pattern
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 01:37 AM   #12
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX3 View Post
I’m in San Diego and I’ve felt a similar pull/wander on grooved concrete freeways at same speeds. No pull on smooth asphalt. I have 19 in rims with Bridgestone Alenza 245/50 tires; same size front and rear. No DA or DA+ options.

that is exactly what I have and exactly what I have experienced. Where as I have driven several 3 series and even a couple of X1 and do not have the sensation. Wonder if different tires would make a difference?
      07-14-2018, 01:38 AM   #13
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonyz View Post
has to do with tire pattern
How so? Is there a tire solution?
      07-14-2018, 01:39 AM   #14
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
When using Interstates for long trips I keep our 19" Yokohama performance RFTs at 36F/40R cold PSI, which translates to actual values at ~79mph of 41/45 PSI, depending on ambient temp. Internal tire temps seem to run about 35 degrees above ambient temps, give or take. [data from https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...1440682&page=5 ]

We haven't noticed this tracking issue, so it seems possible this higher pressure and narrower tire play a role. Previous vehicles we've owned with wider tires did suffer from that issue, though, which is one reason we've gone with narrower tires on subsequent vehicle purchases.
Interesting tip. Will consider that!
      07-14-2018, 01:42 AM   #15
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Talking

Quote:
I've experienced this as well, like strong winds pushing against the car and someone stated in another thread that they solved this problem by simply pumping more air into the tires, I believe it was +4 PSI over the sticker number.

I haven't done this yet because I don't commute on the highways except sometimes on the weekends for family visits. I'll be sure to give it a try before my next highway trip.

Exactly!!...and from your description, looks like you and I have the same model and color - graphite. My challenge is 90% of the driving I do is on highways. I may try the suggestion or perhaps a different set of tires. Thanks for the feedback!
      07-14-2018, 01:45 AM   #16
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

With your experience, do you think a different tire pattern, even though it is the same size, would solve the problem? Other BMW's I have owned or driven, even the X1's do not seem to have this issue.

What are your thoughts?
      07-14-2018, 01:50 AM   #17
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Smile We Have Something In Common

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Seem like many of us have the same problem. With the best description being like the wind pushing you over from side to side. Wondering if different tires, not narrower, but just different pattern, would fix the problem.

The challenge for me personally, is almost all my driving is highway. Rarely do I run about on surface streets. The problem does go away on asphalt freeways.

Any thoughts on tire type? It would be worth it, just to have the problem disappear instead of feeling on edge..and in rainy weather, it become even more of an issue.
      07-14-2018, 02:48 AM   #18
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i Dark Graphite Cogn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskurth View Post
Quote:

Exactly!!...and from your description, looks like you and I have the same model and color - graphite. My challenge is 90% of the driving I do is on highways. I may try the suggestion or perhaps a different set of tires. Thanks for the feedback!
I honestly think DG is the best color given the cerium grey accents. I swear I'm not biased . However, had the accents been chrome or black, my answer would've had to been AW or BS.

Still haven't had to correct this because I haven't been on the highway but for you, hopefully the fix is as easy as some extra tire pressure!
      07-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #19
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskurth View Post
With your experience, do you think a different tire pattern, even though it is the same size, would solve the problem? Other BMW's I have owned or driven, even the X1's do not seem to have this issue.

What are your thoughts?
Difficult to say as I really haven't thought much about possible cause and effect on this issue, but intuitively it seemed wider tires usually gave us the most problems with past vehicles.

For reference, I am including a comparison image of the Yokohama 19" Performance RFT tread on our G01 with that of the Goodyear Eagle LS2 19" on our 2015 LCI X3 35i. Might be interesting if you can share a similar photo of your Bridgestone's tread.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dskurth41.50
      07-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #20
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Difficult to say as I really haven't thought much about possible cause and effect on this issue, but intuitively it seemed wider tires usually gave us the most problems with past vehicles.

For reference, I am including a comparison image of the Yokohama 19" Performance RFT tread on our G01 with that of the Goodyear Eagle LS2 19" on our 2015 LCI X3 35i. Might be interesting if you can share a similar photo of your Bridgestone's tread.
If and when I get the car back from the shop, I will do that.
      07-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #21
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Research..may Be The Answer...

Think I found why, now to find the combination that works on California Highways. It is officially called "Groove Wander" . The result of in compatible tire tread patterns and combined with some suspension.

"When the contact patch of the tire does not form to match the contours of the road surface the stiff tire edges tend to ride on and be guided (or tramlined) by the rain grooves within the surface contour. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groove_wander

07-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #22
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I honestly think DG is the best color given the cerium grey accents. I swear I'm not biased . However, had the accents been chrome or black, my answer would've had to been AW or BS.

Still haven't had to correct this because I haven't been on the highway but for you, hopefully the fix is as easy as some extra tire pressure!
Check this out. The other poster may be onto something. I also noted that it helped with I had the dealer re-tighten down the suspension down, it improved. With the right tires, perhaps this problem can be solved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groove_wander