BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #23
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
You flaming me??? LMAO...just kidding!

Hey man...with 2 young kids the mini-van is pretty much a requirement, and honestly my kids think that it's the coolest car on the road so when I'm with them that's what matters!! And yo I roll with a sienna...2011 so it's no slacker...I'm sure I can do 110 in that...not sure how I can pull that off though without getting in trouble! (seriously the thing is awesome on the highway...)

Now granted....when I pull away in the sienna the STI scoffs at me and I have to turn my head... Now the worst part is that the mini-van is parked on one side of the garage with the single car, and my STI and the X3 will share the other side with the 2 car setup...and now when I pull away in the sienna those two are going to scoff at me together and make fun!! Funny sh*t
What's the need for all the wheels? Does your wife ever get to drive the STI or the X3? Or is that just for you to decide whether you want to be youthful or sophisticated on a given day?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #24
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
What's the need for all the wheels? Does your wife ever get to drive the STI or the X3? Or is that just for you to decide whether you want to be youthful or sophisticated on a given day?
HA....nice one...but I'll have to add some commentary

And for the record, that's not so many wheels man.....3 cars isn't overdoing it! I'll bet that if you took a poll on this board, that you'd find more people with 3-4 cars than 1-2. But honestly it depends on your age.

In your 20s..you have 1 car...most folks only have enough money for 1 car.

When you turn 30...you buy a house...so you don't have money for anything else!

As you approach 40...you are making lots more money and you are not afraid of your mortgage any more, so you get some toys. Some people call this mid-life crisis, I call it, "I can now comfortably/responsibly do more of what I want"
And I love cars..so I'd have more if I could!

And for the record...I don't need to feel youthful...I'm only 37 (may seem old to you) but at 37 I'm having 5X more fun than at 27.

And on the cars...and the need:

Mini-van: must have for family of 2+ kids...period. If we go places it just simplifies life etc. That's the wife's primary vehicle but if I'm working from home she'll take something else and leave the van at home....leads me to:

X3: Absolutely the wife will drive...I'm a believer that (in my type of situation) you need a family car and a luxury car...but with the luxury car, we also want to be able to use it for family stuff if we so choose...and if my wife and I go away together but need some space...no chance we are taking the sienna...so that's where the X3 comes in!

Right now I have an Subie outback coming off of lease...getting replace by the X3.

STI: well....I give my wife every opportunity to drive that beast...however she is afraid of it. I's a stick and although I've tried to teach her many times how to drive stick, she just doesn't want to be bothered. She has no problem being out with me in it, but she gets no significant enjoyment out of kicking ths sh*t out of pavement in that thing so she mostly passes on solo rides!

Younger kids (not calling you that but just saying) think that "old folk" who are 37 like me buy something like an STI to feel youthful. Listen...I had a 12 second car when I was 18..it was an '86 RX7 with a crazy aftermarket turbo...the car would continue to pull through redline and beyond...ran in the 12s multiple times with that car...however I enjoy the STI more b/c now I know what I'm doing...the joy factor when you have a car like that when you are 18 does not exist the way it does at 37....just my observation.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #25
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:

And for the record, that's not so many wheels man.....3 cars isn't overdoing it! I'll bet that if you took a poll on this board, that you'd find more people with 3-4 cars than 1-2. But honestly it depends on your age.

As you approach 40...you are making lots more money and you are not afraid of your mortgage any more, so you get some toys. Some people call this mid-life crisis, I call it, "I can now comfortably/responsibly do more of what I want"

And for the record...I don't need to feel youthful...I'm only 37 (may seem old to you) but at 37 I'm having 5X more fun than at 27.

Mini-van: must have for family of 2+ kids...period. If we go places it just simplifies life etc. That's the wife's primary vehicle but if I'm working from home she'll take something else and leave the van at home....leads me to:

X3: Absolutely the wife will drive...I'm a believer that (in my type of situation) you need a family car and a luxury car...but with the luxury car, we also want to be able to use it for family stuff if we so choose...and if my wife and I go away together but need some space...no chance we are taking the sienna...so that's where the X3 comes in!

Right now I have an Subie outback coming off of lease...getting replace by the X3.

STI: well....I give my wife every opportunity to drive that beast...however she is afraid of it. I's a stick and although I've tried to teach her many times how to drive stick, she just doesn't want to be bothered. She has no problem being out with me in it, but she gets no significant enjoyment out of kicking ths sh*t out of pavement in that thing so she mostly passes on solo rides!

Younger kids (not calling you that but just saying) think that "old folk" who are 37 like me buy something like an STI to feel youthful. Listen...I had a 12 second car when I was 18..it was an '86 RX7 with a crazy aftermarket turbo...the car would continue to pull through redline and beyond...ran in the 12s multiple times with that car...however I enjoy the STI more b/c now I know what I'm doing...the joy factor when you have a car like that when you are 18 does not exist the way it does at 37....just my observation.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #26
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Bringing it back to the original question, WHY is the 30d SE (Great Britain) limited to 130MPH?

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #27
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Bringing it back to the original question, WHY is the 30d SE (Great Britain) limited to 130MPH?
My vote is for tyre ratings (what are they?)
      05-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #28
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
oh we're talking about the 30d SE?...not sure on the Euro spec but everything I have read on the US spec for the 35i with sport tranny has top speed of 150....28i is 130
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #29
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
oh we're talking about the 30d SE?...not sure on the Euro spec but everything I have read on the US spec for the 35i with sport tranny has top speed of 150....28i is 130
Here in the world of 4 cylinder diesels we only have a choice of two engines (at the moment). The 20d which runs out of power before 130MPH (123MPH I think) and the magnificent 30d which has a surplus of power and 6 cylinder turbo charged fury!!

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #30
rs6655
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3 (MT)

Quote:
I'm betting it's tires. In the US the E83 base X3's were limited to 130 and the sport with the bigger wheels were upped to 140.

This is a pic of an ED base E83 maxed out. Not mine....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #31
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

UK spec Range Rovers with 4.4 V8 engines are limited to 124 mph due to tyres. It has to be down to the tyres they decided to spec. Sorry tires.
      05-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #32
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs6655 View Post
I'm betting it's tires. In the US the E83 base X3's were limited to 130 and the sport with the bigger wheels were upped to 140.

This is a pic of an ED base E83 maxed out. Not mine....
awesome picture...even on a wet road it looks like... this is my new wallpaper!!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #33
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yeah no I didn't mean to come off like "you're an old fart why the fuck are you buying cars," I was just curious how you logistically manage the three vehicles. At this point the X3 seems like quite the all-purpose-pleaser, so I don't know why you'd still want your STi, but i understand now that you'd rather throw that around for fun and keep the X3 in safe, healthy, classy working order.

The X3 seems like the date night/art gallery benefit gala car no but in all seriousness when you finally take delivery you'll be really happy. The wait was really the hardest thing I've ever had to do when buying something. There's something about the X5 that seems kind of mom-ish, and the only car I've ever known to look good in all situations the way the X3 does is a Range Rover.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #34
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
awesome picture...even on a wet road it looks like... this is my new wallpaper!!
A nice little edit I decided to do.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #35
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

I was on a straight road. It gets to 130 pretty quick so I wasn't there long. I have v rated tires and fully expected to hit 131 and consider the issue settled (and never go that fast again). Unless I just panicked at 130 not sure as I do have a 35i, sap and 150mph tires...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #36
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X3 x35 (on order)

Quote:

+1!! If I had more garage space, I'd have more cars.

At one point I had 4 cars in the driveway: Miata (weekend warrior), 335 (my DD), truck (hauling s**t back from Home Depot), and a Civic (wife's DD). I was told to pair it down for now until the 3 car garage comes, so the Miata and truck goes and the wife is getting an X3 as her DD. My 335 gets some performance parts and becomes double hatted as my DD and weekend warrior. In a couple of years, the 335 will likely be replaced and I'm looking at a 911 or M3.

You've got to have your fun now that you can afford it and while you still can!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #37
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnE90 View Post
+1!! If I had more garage space, I'd have more cars.

At one point I had 4 cars in the driveway: Miata (weekend warrior), 335 (my DD), truck (hauling s**t back from Home Depot), and a Civic (wife's DD). I was told to pair it down for now until the 3 car garage comes, so the Miata and truck goes and the wife is getting an X3 as her DD. My 335 gets some performance parts and becomes double hatted as my DD and weekend warrior. In a couple of years, the 335 will likely be replaced and I'm looking at a 911 or M3.

You've got to have your fun now that you can afford it and while you still can!
Could have come from my own mouth!!! Hey don't kid yourself...I'm 37 and having fun, but honestly I expect to have more fun and affort more toys at 47then now...you just gotta be smart along the way!!!

I like the setup you have...very nice. The 911 angle is awesome, although M3 is tempting...although I'd say this...and this is totally not flaming but just based on experience. If you are looking at a 911 to have the "sports car in the garage effect", before you decide go drive a Mitsu EVO or an STI. OBVIOUSLY they are not the same status level as the Porsche, but if you already have a 3 series, why go for the M3....get something totally different which to me is where the Porsche angle comes in....but I can tell you this...unless you are getting a 100K porsche, the fun factor in an STI or EVO will outmatch any M3 and most Porsche. I don't know if you have ever driven, but it's a TOTALLY different experience. Go look at the thread on DHP and in there I have a youtube video on the STI/EVO...you just can't do some of this stuff with other cars b/c they are setup unlike everything else on the road...I mean they are ralley ready which in and of itself is enough to go for it. And BTW...under 40K!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #38
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

actually I decided to make it easy for you and I'm just going to drop it here...

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #39
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikinCurt View Post
I was on a straight road. It gets to 130 pretty quick so I wasn't there long. I have v rated tires and fully expected to hit 131 and consider the issue settled (and never go that fast again). Unless I just panicked at 130 not sure as I do have a 35i, sap and 150mph tires...
Sounds like you are going to have to do it again so this can be laid to rest
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 04:08 AM   #40
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

So if it's the tires that are limiting the F25 X3 (not the E83!!) - why don't we just but better ones on like H rated ones? Hmm - we should then!

I have sympathy for whoever our BMW Salesman (or saleswoman) is when we next look at the X3 - I have a lot of difficult questions about the car!!

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 05:32 AM   #41
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So if it's the tires that are limiting the F25 X3 (not the E83!!) - why don't we just but better ones on like H rated ones? Hmm - we should then!

I have sympathy for whoever our BMW Salesman (or saleswoman) is when we next look at the X3 - I have a lot of difficult questions about the car!!
No its not that the tires are limiting the X, I was just saying to look at the tires as an indicator of what it can do....the X is clearly limited electronically...BMW is open about that. However if for example the 35i with SAP can do 150 (as advertised) then they would not have H rated tires that only are rated to 130...they'd have V rated tires that go to 150.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #42
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

I see.
So WHY is it electronically limited to 130MPH? WHAT is the limiting factor?
330d SE = 155MPH(limited because of German agreement)
X3 xDrive30d SE = 130MPH(WHY?)

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #43
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I see.
So WHY is it electronically limited to 130MPH? WHAT is the limiting factor?
330d SE = 155MPH(limited because of German agreement)
X3 xDrive30d SE = 130MPH(WHY?)
wow so to that question I've love to know an answer!!! Seriously I don't know why it was setup that way (non-technical reason) I only know the spec reason why...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #44
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I think that like some Range Rovers, BMW have chosen to fit lower rated tyres which then dictates needing to limit the 130MPH. The question is why do they want to limit most X3s to 130MPH? I wonder if it's down to the cost of tyres, ie keeping down replacement costs will help the running costs look lower for countries where tyre costs are taken into account.