BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-08-2020, 07:54 PM   #23
sf2360
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G06-2021,718 GTS 4.0, Raptor

Had Macan S, had it tuned and after 8 months got bored of it and got rid of it. The ride was great the performance was fine but definitely not as fast as others out there. This was back in 2017 and since then I had Raptor, M4 and when I was looking to get back into another SUV, I looked at Macan again. But after I drove the X4M there was no looking back. Also, the lease on the Macan are crazy compared to BMW.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Transfer5260.00
      04-08-2020, 09:50 PM   #24
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

To compare u need to get a turbo or gts. I compared and drove. For the same price as a used gts or turbo I got a x3mc
      04-08-2020, 10:30 PM   #25
Dimitri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2360 View Post
Had Macan S, had it tuned and after 8 months got bored of it and got rid of it. The ride was great the performance was fine but definitely not as fast as others out there. This was back in 2017 and since then I had Raptor, M4 and when I was looking to get back into another SUV, I looked at Macan again. But after I drove the X4M there was no looking back. Also, the lease on the Macan are crazy compared to BMW.
So why getting rid of the X4M so quick?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 10:36 PM   #26
sf2360
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G06-2021,718 GTS 4.0, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
So why getting rid of the X4M so quick?
Might be getting the X6M
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 06:11 AM   #27
thedreamingtree
Rep
Drives: x3m

Thanks for all your responses. Can any one comment on the noncompetition with 20inch wheel ride quality vs the competition model?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 07:40 AM   #28
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I really like the Macan especially after the latest refresh. In a perfect world I would be driving one today instead of a BMW. My issue is that the fastest Macan will still get spanked by an X3 M40i which is a hard pill to swallow considering a well equipped Turbo is considerably more money than an X3MC and there's rarely ever any wiggle room with our local dealers. It's a very good small size SUV that's burdened by a poor price point.
Appreciate 3
      04-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #29
BeyondVision
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M; Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I really like the Macan especially after the latest refresh. In a perfect world I would be driving one today instead of a BMW. My issue is that the fastest Macan will still get spanked by an X3 M40i which is a hard pill to swallow considering a well equipped Turbo is considerably more money than an X3MC and there's rarely ever any wiggle room with our local dealers. It's a very good small size SUV that's burdened by a poor price point.
I agree, especially when considering purchasing a new vehicle. The price difference makes it hard to justify. When looking at the used market, closes the gap a little bit more. My friend just purchased an older macan GTS (i think 2017) as a daily/winter to sidekick his 911 turbo and he is enjoying it so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 04:45 PM   #30
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I was in the same place (sort of) Planned to buy the Turbo Macan but a guy a few doors up bought one

So I bought the X3MC. Other than the suspension, which I intend to change (again) to MSS (very expensive for what they are) I am very happy with the car. MPG is brutal but equally so is the engine and its potential, so kind of equals itself out. I am running BM3 stage 1 and its mental. Looking forward to stage 2 and softer suspension. Car will be more or less prefect
      04-10-2020, 05:27 PM   #31
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR, e60 M5, e36 IP

I was fairly set on the Macan Turbo a while ago. A friend has a beautiful low-mileage one with a fantastic aftermarket exhaust he was going to sell in a year. So I spent that year evaluating other options. Drove the GLC63 and had almost settled on it. The Alfa was not an option since I do not have a dealer nearby and do not at all like the interior. So was about to pull the trigger on the GLC63 but then the news of the X3M started emerging. Being a decades-long M-fan, I decided to wait to see and drive it. As I was waiting for the X3M release, I investigated the Jag F-Pace SVR as the first ones were just hitting the US showrooms, and happened upon a dealer that had one and offered a test drive. I loved it, but still waited for the X3M, which I finally drove a couple months later. The Jag was the clear choice for me, but most to the point of this thread, the Macan Turbo receded to the bottom of my list behind these other options -- the power difference is huge, the price difference is unjustifiable, and feels the smallest inside (which was a major consideration since this is a daily driver for me and I was moving from a Yukon XL Denali as my daily). It seems that Porsche is relying mostly on the cache of its nameplate in competing in this market segment. The Macan is an excellent product, but the competition is significantly better, especially for the price.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7838.00
Transfer5260.00
      04-10-2020, 07:31 PM   #32
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

Only you can prioritize your needs of more space v. "busy ride" or other factors. I personally think the ride quality thing is overdone, as long as you understand what you're buying. As others said, maybe the X3 M40i is a better fit for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 01:35 AM   #33
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
in a perfect world the Mecan GTS would cost the same as a X3mc and out handle it and match it in acceleration.
      04-20-2020, 07:13 PM   #34
thedreamingtree
Rep

Finally had a chance to get behind the wheel of a Macan and also drove the x3m before lockdown. The Macan really impressed me. Very comfortsble ride and handled the corners unbelievablely. There is definitely something to be said for the experience of driving a Porsche and I think has different value to different people. While shopping online I found myself looking at numbers and gravitating towards to x3m. However in person the Macan felt special, more special than the numbers reflect. At this point I’m set on the Macan S even though it about the same price as an x3m..thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 07:20 PM   #35
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I think it's pretty clear that you are drawn to the Macan. I was in the same predicament but in Canada you can get an X3M Comp for considerably less than a nicely optioned Macan S so I made the decision that was part financial but I also like the X3M. The Porsche does feel more like a car IMO which is a solid feat. That said I really like that the X3M Comp is the ultimate sleeper on the street
as not many vehicles on the road can keep up to it in a straight line.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 07:21 PM   #36
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamingtree View Post
Finally had a chance to get behind the wheel of a Macan and also drove the x3m before lockdown. The Macan really impressed me. Very comfortsble ride and handled the corners unbelievablely. There is definitely something to be said for the experience of driving a Porsche and I think has different value to different people. While shopping online I found myself looking at numbers and gravitating towards to x3m. However in person the Macan felt special, more special than the numbers reflect. At this point I’m set on the Macan S even though it about the same price as an x3m..thoughts?
You have to do what's right for you. When I test drove the Macan S after the X3MC it felt like it had as much power as my lawn mower.

The tech in it was ages behind the BMW and the seating position made me feel as if I needed a phone book to sit on (I'm 6'). All that and it felt cramped.

It's your money so go with what you feel comfortable with. It's a lot of cash to not be sure. When I test drove the X3MC it was an instant "MUST HAVE" feeling. I wanted to do my due diligence so I drove the Porsche and MB but they were no comparison. The Macan sure is nice looking though....

That's me, your mileage may vary. If the Porsche experience can offset the lack of power than it should be a no brainer.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7838.00
FrankieNuo1219.00
      04-20-2020, 07:43 PM   #37
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
When I test drove the Macan S after the X3MC it felt like it had as much power as my lawn mower.
Lol!
Appreciate 1
FrankieNuo1219.00
      04-20-2020, 08:05 PM   #38
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamingtree View Post
I was in the same predicament, although was looking at a number of different SUVs and Wagons to replace my CLS and my son's X3 and limited down to X3 M40i vs Macan (ruled out the full M because of the suspension) and I'm planning on going with the Macan as well for similar reasons to what you stated, and is practical enough for my lifestyle, and I couldn't get comfortable with the X3's seats, although the X3 is still a very good buy in its class and definitely much much cheaper.

I would recommend you actually jump up a trim to the GTS. The S is good, but the GTS is better because you get more power, a different engine (GTS = 2.9, S = 3.0), and because the GTS comes with a lot more standard items, all of which are optional on the base and S (such as PASM, PSE, Air Suspension, Bigger Wheels, Sport Design Pack, etc.). Many owners and reviews also usually say the GTS is the sweet spot and handles better than the Turbo despite being slower and less expensive. My build is $85k for my GTS and an equally optioned S would actually be about a couple of grand more. Also if you are shopping on the dealer lot, when more GTS' arrive at least, you will find that none of the S model's will be as well equipped.

Options that I recommend
-Premium Package (Plus for the GTS)
-Sport Chrono
-Full Leather (Door Tops and Dash)
-Smoking Package (This gets rid of the open compartment in the center console, and its probably the only "free" option for any Porsche )

Last edited by stein_325i; 04-20-2020 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 08:30 PM   #39
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Still can't believe that even the 80k "high performance crossover" Macan GTS has less power than the 60k X3 M40i. If that Porsche badge is all that matters to you, go for it. I personally will never touch any overpriced Porsche product besides the one and only 911.

Last edited by AlexFL; 04-20-2020 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 09:18 PM   #40
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Still can't believe that even the 80k "high performance crossover" Macan GTS has less power than the 60k X3 M40i. If that Porsche badge is all that matters for you, go for it. I personally will never touch any overpriced Porsche product besides the one and only 911.
Funny you mention that, after my Macan S test drive I was so turned off by the brand I can't imagine owning any Porsche.

Granted it is the cheapest one, but it killed any dreams of buying any of them in the future.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7838.00
      04-20-2020, 10:37 PM   #41
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Still can't believe that even the 80k "high performance crossover" Macan GTS has less power than the 60k X3 M40i. If that Porsche badge is all that matters to you, go for it. I personally will never touch any overpriced Porsche product besides the one and only 911.
Yeah it's pretty much insanity to buy Macan new IMO when comparing to X3/4 M or M40i. Hypnotized by badges.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7838.00
      04-20-2020, 10:51 PM   #42
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Yeah it's pretty much insanity to buy Macan new IMO when comparing to X3/4 M or M40i. Hypnotized by badges.
Besides being a BMW homer, I'm also an Audi fan. Buying an 80k Porsche crossover where they crippled the glorious RS5 engine is an absolute no-go for me. And if you want the "non-crippled" 2.9TT Macan Turbo, you gotta pay 100k. Nein Danke!

Last edited by AlexFL; 04-20-2020 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 07:30 AM   #43
thedreamingtree
Rep

Quote:
Is the hp to price ratio your number one factor when purchasing a car?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 07:39 AM   #44
DasboostF80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 Marina Bay X3M Comp

So I sell both BMW and Porsche, I have an X3m Comp and I was able to locate a 2017 Macan GTS for my mom so our family dynamic has both. From a drivers perspective if I was commuting a long distance or traveling I would go with the Macan GTS soley for the air ride suspension standard on them, it rides better than almost anything I've ever driven and thats a long list. If I am looking to play, or surprise basically anything on the road I am going with a X3M comp, because for the money you cannot beat it. I also have to say I find myself more comfortable pushing the Macan Gts than the X3, maybe its the lower center of gravity or seating position, or maybe its because of the air ride on the macan. Also you can find some nice 18 model gts's out there cpo for a nice price and Porsche CPO is incredible and if you find a special spec'd car, theres a very good chance its the only one which is why Porsche is so special and they always feel more special than BMW. You honestly cant go wrong between these two, but make sure if you are absolutely stuck on a Macan S you make sure to find one with air ride.

Good luck in your hunt and let us know what happens.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25086.00