BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-11-2020, 10:38 PM   #67
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Is a piggyback really "easier" to remove than a flash? As I understand it, BM3 can be reflashed to stock in minutes versus quite a bit longer to unplug a bunch of stuff.
Never had a piggy back but did a lot of research back when I was considering JB4. The physical install and deinstall seem to take about a half an hour and some physical gymnastics under the car once you know exactly what you're doing. Reflashing my BM3, without leaving the driver's seat, to stock and locking is at most a 10 minute process from initial OBD connection to powering down my laptop. No regrets for the choice I made.
Appreciate 2
forza19763398.00
Thescout134947.00
      06-11-2020, 11:43 PM   #68
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Wherever BM3 is available, that is the best move

Less Boost, Less Heat and more consistent pull after pull I am no where the boost level or high ethanol blend they tried with Jb4 but the lack of data going forward has put people in doubt so majority have been going with BM3.

Currently as per Dragy Leaderboards, BM3 OTS both STG1 93 and E30 STG1 makes more power and faster dragy times across a few cars not just one (tester as they used).
My buddy had a JB4 on his Golf R vs my Full on programmed tuned Golf R. His car ran nearly identical to mine.

I have a full programmed tune on my Ram (self tuner). I own both cars outright so I felt better about tuning the computer.

With the lease and the BMW I thought I would give the JB4 a shot. It's due in tomorrow. I am not going to lose sleep over a few hp less.
I think the big debate between a flags vs JB4 is the power but how it is delivered. One manipulates signals to increase boost (JB4), the other modifies everything from the boost to trim to timing, etc. (flash) which makes for a much smoother power delivery (less surgy than a piggyback) and the car will feel like it came like that from factory.

Both are detectable by a dealer, but the piggyback is easier to remove than a flash when taking in for service or at lease end.
Is a piggyback really "easier" to remove than a flash? As I understand it, BM3 can be reflashed to stock in minutes versus quite a bit longer to unplug a bunch of stuff.
Honestly, it depends who you ask. I'm computer literate and mechanically literate, so to me the flash is easier to remove, but if say your are not that comfortable with computers, don't really get how flashes work, are worried about bricking your DME because you didn't put a battery tender, or are paranoid about the flash counter, then in that instance a piggyback will be perceivably better/easier for you.

Some people prefer buttons and pushing in plugs to touching a screen and trusting the software. For example, if the new SpaceX dragon capsule with all its screens and no buttons gave you anxiety, you are probably more comfortable with a piggyback if you plan on removing the tune and reinstalling it often.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
forza19763398.00
car_fan382.00
      06-12-2020, 06:36 AM   #69
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Honestly, it depends who you ask. I'm computer literate and mechanically literate, so to me the flash is easier to remove, but if say your are not that comfortable with computers, don't really get how flashes work, are worried about bricking your DME because you didn't put a battery tender, or are paranoid about the flash counter, then in that instance a piggyback will be perceivably better/easier for you.

Some people prefer buttons and pushing in plugs to touching a screen and trusting the software. For example, if the new SpaceX dragon capsule with all its screens and no buttons gave you anxiety, you are probably more comfortable with a piggyback if you plan on removing the tune and reinstalling it often.
It's my understanding the flash counter is the indication of a flash tune and not something you can hide from a dealer. Flash tunes are super simple. My Ram took all of 5 minutes. Plug it in, pick out the tune, flash it and done. My particular tune on the Golf isn't available to individuals so I always need to bring it somewhere for updates/tweaks which is annoying, but it drives extremely oem like. I also did a trans tune which helped immensely, not sure if BMWs are similar (Engine, trans, AWD system all separate on the VW). I also flash tuned my Harleys. I am pretty computer illiterate, but the tune apps are pretty simple to use. The Harley tunes even has a self learning feature that monitors the O2 sensors and can tweak the fuel mixture based on sensor inputs.

If I feel the JB4 isn't satisfying my needs I can always uninstall and flash with BM3. That's really the beauty of the JB4. Especially nice with a lease.
Appreciate 2
Thescout134947.00
car_fan382.00
      12-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #70
Bonk65
Rep
Drives: BMW X3Mc

Garage List
2022 BMW  [0.00]
JB4, Racechip, DTE

Hi guys,
I have the JB4 already for months laying around as I am not sure about possible warranty issues. Having said that, I know I can flash back (or whatever its called) but I'm not very handy with these things. I want to be, but when I wanted to install the JB4 I got immediately stuck on a clip which was really hard to reach from to and /or bottom. Long screwdriver broke of the security clip so I left the whole thing. Purchased the Racechip to see if that would be an easier install but looks equally difficult. So..$2k kinda down the drain. DTE now has one with 124ps / 106lb ft increase at discount (-22%) and uses just 1 plug... looks like a winner to me as in installation difficulty. Anyone knows more about the DTE? Thx
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 09:05 PM   #71
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonk65 View Post
Hi guys,
I have the JB4 already for months laying around as I am not sure about possible warranty issues. Having said that, I know I can flash back (or whatever its called) but I'm not very handy with these things. I want to be, but when I wanted to install the JB4 I got immediately stuck on a clip which was really hard to reach from to and /or bottom. Long screwdriver broke of the security clip so I left the whole thing. Purchased the Racechip to see if that would be an easier install but looks equally difficult. So..$2k kinda down the drain. DTE now has one with 124ps / 106lb ft increase at discount (-22%) and uses just 1 plug... looks like a winner to me as in installation difficulty. Anyone knows more about the DTE? Thx
Ouch... do you mean flash tuning the DME? Yes that’s a simple process if you got with BM3 or Mission Performance. Just plug computer and OBD2, boot up the program and then flash.

Im sure you can sell the JB4 or Racechip.
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 10:01 PM   #72
winn3r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
Ouch... do you mean flash tuning the DME? Yes that’s a simple process if you got with BM3 or Mission Performance. Just plug computer and OBD2, boot up the program and then flash.

Im sure you can sell the JB4 or Racechip.
He is referring to alternative version of Jb4 and racechip. The of company is called DTE systems chip tuning which make a piggyback. Im assume he will still have to disconnect that pain the ass sensor.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 08:31 AM   #73
jgoldsmith729
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

I have a 2021 X3M non-comp and was planning on going the flash route. I previously had a 2015 M3 that I had a JB4 on it which I very much enjoyed and found it to be perfectly smooth/powerful (also had a 2018 with BM3). I haven't really seen any reviews of the JB4 on X3/4M's and have searched on this site and N54 forums. I also haven't seen any dyno's using 93 octane. I like the option of using a >10% ethanol belnd, but would only use it under special circumstances (drag strip) and not daily.

1. Does anyone have a review based on their own experience with the JB4 on the X3/4M?

2. Any dynos of the JB4 versus DTE and RaceChip? And 93 octane.

3. Was really hoping to go tune + downpipes. Am I SOL until (if/when) a ECU tune is available?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 12:06 PM   #74
jgoldsmith729
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

One more try...
Appreciate 0