BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #1
GreatAvalon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3MC

Rear windshield tint and auto-dim mirrors

Any feedback from those with tinted rear windshields...

How dark did you have tinted over factory privacy glass and do your auto-dim rear and side mirrors still dim bright headlights at night?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 04:55 PM   #2
tm811
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 m4 comp xdrive

I would be wary of going below 35%. I am running into an issue with my front tinted windows at that level where during the day the sensors are detecting low light and it is dimming all my displays. There is no way to manually adjust them to stay brighter either within idrive or bimmercode So, going darker you may have your mirrors dimming during the day.

Last edited by tm811; 03-05-2021 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: a word
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 07:02 PM   #3
J-Pizzle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3C  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
I did go with the lightest tint on the factory tinted windows (I think it was 80% VLT) and did not notice any performance degradation on the auto dimming rear view mirror. I also matched the front door windows to the rears which I believe ended up being 35%. I used Llumar Pinnacle Ceramic film for reference. Front windshield tint is illegal in WA state (although I have seen a few cars with them).
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 08:14 PM   #4
GreatAvalon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pizzle View Post
I did go with the lightest tint on the factory tinted windows (I think it was 80% VLT) and did not notice any performance degradation on the auto dimming rear view mirror. I also matched the front door windows to the rears which I believe ended up being 35%. I used Llumar Pinnacle Ceramic film for reference. Front windshield tint is illegal in WA state (although I have seen a few cars with them).
Thanks!

I have 30% fronts with Llumar Formula1 Pinnacle and its a slight touch lighter than factory rears with nothing, but pretty close. Thanks for mentioning about what you got and didn't experience anything changing with your auto dimming rear and side mirrors.

I've been doing a lot of research into this and it *seems* like it doesn't have a huge impact on it unless you go very dark over them, like 15% or darker. But through my research I've seen how dark the rears get with even a light film on them so now I think I'm contemplating for over the rear privacy glass 40%, 50%, or air blue 80. 50% is the lightest Pinnacle shade they go, with needing to jump to their Stratos line to get 70%.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 09:10 PM   #5
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

One thing to consider: if your windows are that dark the auto dimming doesn’t work, the light probably won’t bother you and if it dimmed it would be hard to see.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 11:20 PM   #6
GreatAvalon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
One thing to consider: if your windows are that dark the auto dimming doesn’t work, the light probably won’t bother you and if it dimmed it would be hard to see.
That's actually exactly why I want to know so bad haha. I don't want to tint like 40% or 50% and then have it mess with the functionality of auto dim. If I lose auto dim, I want to go darker like 15% over the rears to make it so I don't need it. Worst case is I get them tinted light so auto dim works, then it ends up not working, so I wish I would have got darker. But from everything I've read, even going to 30% over factory rears should keep the auto dim functions working...I'll still error lighter than that to make sure though. Leaning towards 40% or 50% so far. Made the appointment for late next week though.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 03:20 AM   #7
RAKLAW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Ferr16M 2019G63 21X4MCom

I just tinted my fronts to match the rears 35%. In NY authorized dealer can no longer legally provide emission inspection on tinted fronts, although all police depts go full tint. I gotta presume so assailants cant view inside?
Front wshield tint is illegal and IMHO really not needed.
I cant see a reason to go any darker to the rear hatch glass as you cant see through the OEM tint.
2021 BMW X4M Competition
2022 BMW X6M Competition
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 07:51 AM   #8
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

I put 70% Xpel Prime XR ceramic over the factory rear windows and rear trunk glass. 20% Prime XR on front door windows to match. Nothing on the windshield. I'm noticing a bit of auto dimming issue with the interior lights/dash but not bad. Haven't noticed any issues with the auto-dimming mirrors yet.

I will state that the Xpel Prime XR seems to "rainbow" quite a bit if you wear polarized sunglasses (Oakley, Ray Ban). Really glad I didn't put the 70 or 80% on my front windshield now. The SolarFX I had on my 340i before the X3M rainbowed a lot less. Some people don't notice this, but I'm pretty sensitive to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 11:43 PM   #9
GreatAvalon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
I put 70% Xpel Prime XR ceramic over the factory rear windows and rear trunk glass. 20% Prime XR on front door windows to match. Nothing on the windshield. I'm noticing a bit of auto dimming issue with the interior lights/dash but not bad. Haven't noticed any issues with the auto-dimming mirrors yet.

I will state that the Xpel Prime XR seems to "rainbow" quite a bit if you wear polarized sunglasses (Oakley, Ray Ban). Really glad I didn't put the 70 or 80% on my front windshield now. The SolarFX I had on my 340i before the X3M rainbowed a lot less. Some people don't notice this, but I'm pretty sensitive to it.
Great, thanks for your feedback. Have you been able to tell any difference in heat coming in since you tinted the rear half or not really? Or basically, could you tell a difference with the rears tinted?

Good point about the rainbow. I do wear polarized glasses all the time (Costa). I notice it but not horribly on my fronts and pano roof, so as long as I stick with what I had hopefully it’s similar. Though, my polarized costas almost always completely kill the HUD, which is annoying lol.
Appreciate 1
JL_X3M56.50
      03-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #10
dr2ray
Auto Doc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X4MC, 2019 M2C

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2021, got rears tinted with 30% ceramic and fronts 15% ceramic. No noticeable dimming noted. My service advisor had said that he didn't recommend it but I did it anyway and haven't noticed a change. No change to heads up display either. Haven't noticed either way with bright lights from other cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 04:53 PM   #11
GreatAvalon
Private First Class
Rep

To follow-up on my post regarding tinting the rear windshield and affect on auto-dimming mirror functionality:

I did 40% ceramic tint over all the rear factory privacy glass. The auto dimming I'd say isn't quite as active, but it's not bad at all. Whenever a vehicles lights would be blinding, the rear view (and thereby side view) mirror all dim as needed. Don't regret it at all and would plan to do it on every vehicle moving forward.
Appreciate 0