BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-02-2024, 12:08 PM   #1
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
OTA Software Update Hung

I am seeing the below on my screen for the last several days. The software was downloaded to my phone and then (I think) transferred to the X3. The My BMW App says the connection is there. I have tried canceling and restarting and also rebooting idrive, but it remains stuck at 48%. Am I just being too impatient?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 12:43 PM   #2
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
I am seeing the below on my screen for the last several days. The software was downloaded to my phone and then (I think) transferred to the X3. The My BMW App says the connection is there. I have tried canceling and restarting and also rebooting idrive, but it remains stuck at 48%. Am I just being too impatient?
I don't think it usually takes that long.

Have you tried unchecking the Remote Software Update Data Privacy setting in the iDrive menu ? It may only work before the update is being applied, but worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 04:15 PM   #3
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I got it to upload from phone to car by deleting the download on the phone, then re-downloading it, the resetting idrive. It uploaded, but now I seem to be in a black hole as the phone says do the upgrade in the car and the car says it is ready but no further way to initiate the upgrade process. I'm going to let it sit overnight and then if necessary reboot idrive yet again. Anybody have any other thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 08:17 PM   #4
Chitown_vroom
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 m40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X3 m40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
I got it to upload from phone to car by deleting the download on the phone, then re-downloading it, the resetting idrive. It uploaded, but now I seem to be in a black hole as the phone says do the upgrade in the car and the car says it is ready but no further way to initiate the upgrade process. I'm going to let it sit overnight and then if necessary reboot idrive yet again. Anybody have any other thoughts?
You’re going to have to resist the urge to tinker with it and just give it time to do its thing for a while while you’re driving (it only is working while the car is on/driving). Sometimes when you start cancelling and restarting software updates in the middle you may put yourself into a weird edge case and truly break the update.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 08:51 PM   #5
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown_vroom View Post
You’re going to have to resist the urge to tinker with it and just give it time to do its thing for a while while you’re driving (it only is working while the car is on/driving). Sometimes when you start cancelling and restarting software updates in the middle you may put yourself into a weird edge case and truly break the update.
AlteBMW already got the update uploaded to the vehicle which is the part requiring to drive as it uploads. After it is uploaded to the vehicle from the phone there is no additional driving required. It's just a matter of the vehicle stating the installation can proceed when the vehicle turns off from that point.

AlteBMW there are requirements needing to be meet for the installation to take place. Such as parked on level ground, parking brake on, vehicle battery percentage minimum, etc. Check the notifications as the prompt to install may be in there.
Appreciate 2
Rottweiler4059.50
lfdal541055.50
      04-03-2024, 03:03 AM   #6
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

When I inadvertently allowed a software update to transfer to my phone and then my car started updating, unchecking the data privacy for remote software update reset the process. The update stopped, and re enabling the data privacy would allow a new update if I wanted.

If you have this data privacy option (seems some don’t), give it try as it may resolve your issue. You can then restart the process if you want.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 03:51 PM   #7
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update: After about a day of the update being uploaded from phone to car, late today when I shut the car, I got a message that the update was ready to be installed. Went through the prompts and about 20 minutes later got a notification in the app that the update had been successful.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 07:38 AM   #8
Chitown_vroom
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 m40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X3 m40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arRod1981 View Post
AlteBMW already got the update uploaded to the vehicle which is the part requiring to drive as it uploads. After it is uploaded to the vehicle from the phone there is no additional driving required. It's just a matter of the vehicle stating the installation can proceed when the vehicle turns off from that point.

AlteBMW there are requirements needing to be meet for the installation to take place. Such as parked on level ground, parking brake on, vehicle battery percentage minimum, etc. Check the notifications as the prompt to install may be in there.
The message on the screen said “…while driving”
Appreciate 0