BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #1
biofreak
Rep
Drives: 2015 X28i x3

2015 X3 in the DMV area here. I had just renewed my subscription to connectedDrive services for a year after it had expired. But I can no longer use the connected app to start navigation to a destination. I can send the destination to the car remotely but I cannot start the navigation from the app itself. The app asks to connect the phone to the vehicle to start navigation. However, the phone is already plugged in and I am able to play music from Spotify via USB. I also noticed that the Spotify app have disappeared from my media options. I prefer to send the destination to the vehicle via USB because it used to be much faster than sending it as a message to the connected drive. I tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it a couple of times and it didn't help.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 02:38 AM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

You do not use the app to start navigation. Not in my UK Spec 2013 xDrive 30d MSport anyway.
Once I have sent a destination to the car using google maps from my PC or even from the app, once in the car I go to Connecteddrive and select messages. The last message is there and you open it and it gives me the place I selected and sent.
You then select the destination inside the message and off you go. Could not be simpler. I currently have around 50 places residing in my messages.

Last edited by Peter_R; 07-22-2018 at 03:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
biofreak
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
You do not use the app to start navigation. Not in my UK Spec 2013 xDrive 30d MSport anyway.
Once I have sent a destination to the car using google maps from my PC or even from the app, once in the car I go to Connecteddrive and select messages. The last message is there and you open it and it gives me the place I selected and sent.
You then select the destination inside the message and off you go. Could not be simpler. I currently have around 50 places residing in my messages.
Thank you Peter. I agree sending destination as a message is really convenient. But with a 3G connection on the car, it takes time for the car to receive the destination. I find it quicker to enter the destination on the app and hit go.

It worked today. I am not sure what I did different. Today I installed the BMW connected app on my wife's phone and was able to initiate navigation from the app. I connected my phone after that and I was able to initiate navigation to destination from the app. Seems like connecting another phone with the Connecttedddrive credential seemed to fix it. Doesn't make sense but it works now.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 05:07 PM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biofreak View Post
I find it quicker to enter the destination on the app and hit go.
I am not sure what you mean when you are saying " and hit go". Where are you hitting go? I always send the destination from my PC through the Google maps and it appears in my messages in the iDrive in the car! If I use the map in the app on my phone and send it, it still appears in my messages in the iDrive!

So no matter which way I send the destination to the car be it PC or phone app, it always ends up in the same place in the iDrive messages. I then select the message and inside do the action, whichever way I have sent it.

How is your phone connected to the car? USB Cable or Bluetooth.....not thought this through, as it is late at night!

Where do you see the destination that you have sent?

Last edited by Peter_R; 07-22-2018 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 10:29 PM   #5
biofreak
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by biofreak View Post
I find it quicker to enter the destination on the app and hit go.
I am not sure what you mean when you are saying " and hit go". Where are you hitting go? I always send the destination from my PC through the Google maps and it appears in my messages in the iDrive in the car! If I use the map in the app on my phone and send it, it still appears in my messages in the iDrive!

So no matter which way I send the destination to the car be it PC or phone app, it always ends up in the same place in the iDrive messages. I then select the message and inside do the action, whichever way I have sent it.

How is your phone connected to the car? USB Cable or Bluetooth.....not thought this through, as it is late at night!

Where do you see the destination that you have sent?
This is how it looks on the BMW connect app. I use a USB cable to connect my phone to the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:00 AM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

@biofreak
The app you show gives 2 options as follows:
1. Send to Vehicle.
2 Go.

1. Send to vehicle.
Presumably when you "Send to Vehicle" the destination ends up in the messages in iDrive in the car? Because your phone is connected to the car with a cable, and if the mobile phone signal is good, this should be very quick? Yes or no?

2.Go.
If you press "Go", presumably you are using the phone as a navigation tool and not the car's Sat Nav? Not sure I see any merit in that!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 08:11 AM   #7
biofreak
Rep

Quote:
@biofreak
The app you show gives 2 options as follows:
1. Send to Vehicle.
2 Go.

1. Send to vehicle.
Presumably when you "Send to Vehicle" the destination ends up in the messages in iDrive in the car? Because your phone is connected to the car with a cable, and if the mobile phone signal is good, this should be very quick? Yes or no?

2.Go.
If you press "Go", presumably you are using the phone as a navigation tool and not the car's Sat Nav? Not sure I see any merit in that!
1. No. Send to vehicle functions goes via 3G.
2. Hitting "Go" sets the new destination instantly on the car's navigation system.
Appreciate 0