BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-26-2023, 09:32 PM   #1
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

New F25 X5 N55 owner - service/maintenance

If there is a thread on this already, please point me to it. Just picked up a 2013 with 97.5k miles from local MB dealership. Had watched it over a few weeks until it dropped to a price that was likely final before going to auction., Very clean but had a oil leak and was able to get the dealer to replace the passenger side valve cover gasket, common issue and the oil pressure sensor as it was leaking there as well.

I have an error right now, but no code. The PDC just appears to be inactive because its not throwing codes. When I put in reverse, it immediately pops up a message in the center screen " no warning available from Parking Distance Control. Consult Service Center. I checked the fuse box but cant tell which fuse. Any ideas?

Separately, any other maintenance or service items I should pay attention too with these miles or that are common besides what I mentioned above about leaks?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 04:06 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Do you have detailed service records on the car? That would be useful in terms of knowing what preventative work is advisable going forward.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 04:43 PM   #3
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep

Good point, I dont since I just bought it but I can go to my Service Advisory give him the VIN and get a print out so I can see what maintenance was done.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      12-10-2023, 01:31 PM   #4
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i, 2018 M240i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkancel View Post
If there is a thread on this already, please point me to it. Just picked up a 2013 with 97.5k miles from local MB dealership. Had watched it over a few weeks until it dropped to a price that was likely final before going to auction., Very clean but had a oil leak and was able to get the dealer to replace the passenger side valve cover gasket, common issue and the oil pressure sensor as it was leaking there as well.

I have an error right now, but no code. The PDC just appears to be inactive because its not throwing codes. When I put in reverse, it immediately pops up a message in the center screen " no warning available from Parking Distance Control. Consult Service Center. I checked the fuse box but cant tell which fuse. Any ideas?

Separately, any other maintenance or service items I should pay attention too with these miles or that are common besides what I mentioned above about leaks?

Thank you
The PDC fault is likely a sensor or sensor wire. Use Carly to identify which one and replace. Not a big deal to get it fixed.
Common oil leaks are the pan and the oil filter housing.
Change all the fluids in drivetrain,
Water pump and thermostat commonly fail at 80k miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 05:58 PM   #5
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep

PDC

Unfortunately its not a sensor that would be easier to locate and it would give me an indication its a sensor. Mine has no codes and simply says no warning available. If a sensor or some sensors are bad, you get a different msg. I even tried to disable PDC with Carly but it doesnt take.

Where is the control module for PDC? I think I read its somewhere under the right front or left front wheel well/bumper area? If so I likely just need to see if its disconnected or maybe the connection is corroded or maybe the module is bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 11:47 AM   #6
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I had a bad sensor wire at front right. I got the PDC malfunction warning message every time reversing.
I ran Carly and it gave me the sensor location. I could not just clear the code.
Sensor replaced, didn't resolve, then I noticed the frayed wire. Fixed wire and all works well. No code clearing required.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 05:20 PM   #7
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Can you explain “passenger side valve cover gasket”
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 07:45 PM   #8
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep

There is one valve cover. It tends to leak at the rear passenger side and drip on the exhaust with burning oil as a result.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 01:16 AM   #9
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Ok, just wondering if someone did a V8 conversion or something
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 01:23 PM   #10
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep

Parking Assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahEllison View Post
Have you resolved it?
Not yet. Oddly my Carly nor my OBDLink CX providing any error codes indicating issue with this. So I purchased iCarsoft V3.0 and sure enough, it identified it and says one of the left front sensors isnt working. Hopefully thats it and when I replace, it will correct it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 01:27 PM   #11
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen235 View Post
The PDC fault is likely a sensor or sensor wire. Use Carly to identify which one and replace. Not a big deal to get it fixed.
Common oil leaks are the pan and the oil filter housing.
Change all the fluids in drivetrain,
Water pump and thermostat commonly fail at 80k miles.
When you say changing fluids in the drivetrain, oil is a given but you are referring to transmission and differential too? Any estimate of cost to have a service shop do these for me? How about break fluid flush, anyone do this too? I can do this type of work myself but I dont have time and my current home/garage doesnt have the best space to do it, hence asking for approx cost.

Thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 01:29 PM   #12
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_KID View Post
Ok, just wondering if someone did a V8 conversion or something
Oh sorry, yes inline six only. Passenger side was just indicating where the leak is coming from and causing the burning smell.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 02:22 PM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkancel View Post
… Any estimate of cost to have a service shop do these for me? How about break fluid flush, anyone do this too? I can do this type of work myself but I dont have time and my current home/garage doesnt have the best space to do it, hence asking for approx cost.

Thanks for the info
BMW dealerships have BMW Value Services for vehicles that are at least 60 months old. You can click the link, input your zip code and select a BMW dealership near you to see what & which value services they offer for your BMW model.

Here’s a direct link to find out what is offered and the cost in your local area. If you have more than one BMW dealership in your area…check all of them because the services offered and the price may differ per dealership: https://bmwusaservice.com/valueservice

You can also call your local BMW dealerships service department and ask the price of a particular service. They will need the last 7 digits of your VIN, so have that ready…and you may be surprised at some service deals they may have going on. It’s a simple as a phone call to find the answer to some of your questions. The cost of a service can vary from location as well as the amount and type of fluids required. The price goes up for the number of cylinders your BMW has…or again, if you require special fluids or viscosities.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-16-2024 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 04:59 PM   #14
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
BMW dealerships have BMW Value Services for vehicles that are at least 60 months old. You can click the link, input your zip code and select a BMW dealership near you to see what & which value services they offer for your BMW model.

Here’s a direct link to find out what is offered and the cost in your local area. If you have more than one BMW dealership in your area…check all of them because the services offered and the price may differ per dealership: https://bmwusaservice.com/valueservice

You can also call your local BMW dealerships service department and ask the price of a particular service. They will need the last 7 digits of your VIN, so have that ready…and you may be surprised at some service deals they may have going on. It’s a simple as a phone call to find the answer to some of your questions. The cost of a service can vary from location as well as the amount and type of fluids required. The price goes up for the number of cylinders your BMW has…or again, if you require special fluids or viscosities.
I have a shop but this will help avoid price gouging. Although I just checked and the only thing it shows online are some basic services. Guess will need to call and ask but guessing my Indy shop is a better direction to go since I cant imagine a dealer ever having reasonable prices for service.

Last edited by pkancel; 01-17-2024 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 0