BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-22-2023, 04:17 PM   #1
abuzar1
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Belt squealing noise

2012 X3 28i. I started to hear an intermittent screeching noise from the belt. I thought maybe its the belt maybe its the tensioner pulley. I replaced them both.

The noise is still here. Its only present after the car is warmed up but only on the initial start. So if I cold start the car its fine and I drive to the store. When I come back from grocery shopping and start it again it starts to screech like the video below. Turning the AC on or off doesn't do anything. If I turn the car off and turn it back on again the noise goes away until I drive somewhere else and turn it off for a few mins. Then the next start it will have the noise till I start the car and turn it off again.

The only other thing the belt runs is the alternator or AC compressor. Since turning the AC compressor on and off didn't do much I'm thinking alternator? All the pulleys spin freely by hand and don't make any noise.

https://youtube.com/shorts/L6JwUCftjhs?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 04:27 PM   #2
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
Ah, the eternal mystery of the elusive Mickey Mouse, trapped within the confines of your heavy BMW. It seems that his mischievous squeaks and squeals have transformed him into a cornered mouse, desperately seeking an escape from the clutches of your engine.

But fear not, dear driver, for this is no ordinary mouse. It's as if Mickey himself has taken on the role of a secret agent, navigating the intricate maze of mechanical components, leaving behind a symphony of sound in his wake.

So, as you cruise down the road, imagine your heavy BMW as a high-speed rodent sanctuary, with Mickey Mouse orchestrating a symphony of noise like a maestro trapped in a cage of metal and rubber.

Embrace the whimsical melody, my friend, and let the cornered mouse within your engine remind you that even in the world of automotive quirks, there's always room for a dash of Disney magic!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 06:34 PM   #3
abuzar1
Rep

I'm from Orlando I think I've had enough of Mickey Mouse!
Appreciate 4
      07-22-2023, 10:46 PM   #4
BMW JA
Private
Rep
Drives: 13 X3, 73 454 Vette,

Reply!

So has Minnie!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 02:47 PM   #5
abuzar1
Rep

Just to update you guys it was the VVT solenoid. I'm posting this update as a lot of threads just go unresolved for future people reading.

Appreciate 1
tom2021220.00