BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-26-2024, 07:42 AM   #1
jjustice77
Rep
Drives: 07 & 16 BMW Z4 & 2013 BMW X3

Exclamation 2013 X-3 Timing chain....Help

Hello All,

I would like some advice regarding my 2013 X-3. Approximately two to three weeks ago, I had the timing chain and guide replaced. I was also getting a persistent drivetrain malfunction warning, which advised driving moderately. Unfortunately, the issue has resurfaced.

Before returning to the dealership for warranty-covered service, I wanted advice. I'm a bit hesitant to rely on the dealership, and I value your insights and experiences. Any guidance or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Best regards,
JJ
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 08:15 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

You just need to go back. A drivetrain malfunction can be caused by a lot of other things, so at this point you don't have much choice but to have them scan the errors and see what they say. The only other option would be to have some other indy shop scan the codes so at least you are informed. What did a dealer charge for that job, just out of curiosity? When you say "warranty-covered service" do you mean because you assume it's related to the work just done, or do you actually have a warranty? Because you should be prepared for them to tell you it's a different problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 08:22 AM   #3
jjustice77
Rep
Drives: 07 & 16 BMW Z4 & 2013 BMW X3

Initially, they wanted 7k to do the job. I found a local mechanic that would do it for 4400. I went to pick it up, and miraculously, they could match that price and give me a two-year warranty on the work. So that is the warranty I have. I am afraid of it being something else. This is my son's car. I was thinking of just trying to sell it. I really don't want another 4k bill.
Appreciate 0